Moby w/pics, what's it worth?

Neil Burgess /

Yellow Moby- non runner- no title- what do you think? Friend of mine has it, and what he said was another "motorized bicycle". I'm going to look at them this morning.

(edited)

moby.jpg
moby2.jpg

Re: Moby w/pics, what's it worth?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

<$100

non runnning, $1 per cc. Running, $2 per cc.

That's a reasonable offer for most peds in that shape, I would say, but I'm a cheap bastard. Low ballin!

Neil Burgess /

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I really don't know shit about moby's.

BTW Harvey, you're on the ball this morning lolz @ 1 minute reply :>)

$40

john cervini /

That's pretty crusty. $50-75

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I ported the Le Moped, gonna take a test drive in a few.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

$50

Neil Burgess /

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I went and looked- missing a few minor tidbits, been sitting a very long time. No air cleaner, no toolkit, and very crusty. Engine and cranks spin freely tho. Of course, "ran when parked" lol. He was asking $150 for it. Told him it was only worth half that, we'll see what he says later.

The motorized bicycle was a old Schwinn with a weedeater engine on it. Had the old school clamp on generator on the back wheel- mini headlight and taillight. Funny looking that was for sure.

(edited)

schwinn.jpg

Jimmy Cincinnati /

she is crusty but it is a hard tail. Atleast it is the more desirable moby. I would say $100-$125 to the right person. My buddy just sold one worse than that bike for $125 range, it was also a hard tail.

Oh and beware of those bitchy french bikes... they can be annoying to work on/troubleshoot. Not worth the headache in my opinion. Stick to your offer ofr $75.

Neil Burgess /

Downhill Harvey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I ported the Le Moped, gonna take a test drive in

> a few.

Still waiting for the metrakit head before I can get my hobbit back together- been riding the yellow stocker in the meantime. Absolutely cannot wait..... soon kids are gone for the summer- and I'll get back down there again!

Neil Burgess /

Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> she is crusty but it is a hard tail. Atleast it is

> the more desirable moby. I would say $100-$125 to

> the right person. My buddy just sold one worse

> than that bike for $125 range, it was also a hard

> tail.

>

> Oh and beware of those bitchy french bikes... they

> can be annoying to work on/troubleshoot. Not worth

> the headache in my opinion. Stick to your offer

> ofr $75.

Yep- at $75 I could part it or sell to someone who will make good use of it, but not worth any more to me than that. I have enough peds draining my pockets already!

Pedal start peds are quite rare in these parts- this is the only other one I've seen here in the 2 years since I got my Hobbit. He'll likely sell it to someone else who doesn't have a clue they'd spend $1000 to make this a nice bike. It quite literally needs everything redone. (edited)

Francis Cronley /

No more than $100. Hard tails are awesome if you want to make a crazy build.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

If the paint isn't scratched, it should polish up pretty good. No side covers? Is it a diMoby or is it variated? For $75, learn the way of the French. Not every bike of yours has to be a ripper.

jimmy should trade chris for this. :)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I do hate me some french bikes... but i suppose I hate chris more. Bring on the trade!

No more than $100, especially if there is no gas cap...I would say closer to $50, maybe a bit more if he has the side covers....no title sucks unless you live where registration is not required. French bikes can be a pain in the ass, but when running....well you get your money's worth and frustrations worth from them. They are fickle lady's. If you can take a "moody" machine grab her. Looks like a traveler exhaust on there?

Neil Burgess /

He called back. Mine for $75. Did come with a title after all- but the dumb fucks separated it at the fold and it's no longer in one piece so it's VOID. Does it look like an AV10? That's what the guy said but meh I know nothing about these :>)

Harvey- paint looks pretty good under the dust. Some surface rust on the chrome bits should clean up as well. I think it may be variated, motor pivots, not sure on the clutch differences. But, when I do hit it with some gas if it doesn't fart to life she'll get parted out. Hell I might verify it runs and partout anyways.

Stephen- It has a gas cap with the dangly bit inside to tell how much fuel left. No sidecovers. Not sure which exhaust this is- Short- that's what it is! And oily!

(edited)

moby3.jpg
moby4.jpg

Michael Sheeler /

Yep, looks like a Moby, ha ha. That's just what those pipes look like. It's probably nice and shiny, though! Also, looks like a dimoby, no variator. Motor still pivots. (edited)

Neil Burgess /

How did this get to WA ??? Has a WA plate last tabbed in '88- must've been pre-88 in OH.

(edited)

IMG_20140611_171814_764.jpg

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

It's an AV-7, pic of the vin tag? Isn't every moped from Ohio a 20mph version? I don't think French bikes are any more finicky than any other bike. Got spark? What does the tank look like inside? Is that exhaust nut cross-threaded? Dibs on the grease nipples, if parted out. That's what my Baretta looked like when I bought it, and look at it now, except my engine was seized.

Great looking bike, I think it will clean up nice. Title is void if it tears t the fold? that's bull.. i'd stick some tape on the back and try to get it transferred anyway, if not bring your buddy to the dmv and apply for a new one.

Why would the motor pivot with no variator?

Please don't part it, it looks pretty much complete, It could probably be running with a weekends work. I'll come give You a bill for it and truck it away tonight, i even have a random french petcock sitting around and no french bikes to put it on, my GF would love this thing...im sure some others would too, just don't part it out... (edited)

Neil Burgess /

Harvey- lolz all my bikes must rip! Not really- I would prefer anything I have do 30mph. But I'm overall happy even with the stocker hobbit. My original hobbit must be fast tho........

Not much to see on the vin tag. Stamped numbers are readable- mfg in 76(it's a 77), model 40, and serial number. That nut on the exhaust appears to just ride in a hole- I don't think there are any threads there in the cyl for the nut to thread into. Had a piece of wire holding the exhaust up not so tight. Probably fucked. Engine does spin and seems to have compression. Not seeing any spark. Will address that next, and get the tank and carb clean.

She's alive, Thought I'd post some video for Yall, My brother as the test rider (he took a liking to it). Sorry if You can't understand me, I didn't get much sleep the night before getting her running. We cleaned it up a bit and lubed everything. I cleaned up the wiring and inside the switches, re-made the engine ground, took off the flywheel and cleaned the points. The plug cap had no continuity and the lead was corroded, as well as the 'nail' connection sticking out of the coil. Cleaned that up and stuck on a length of some bosch 7mm cut out of an old VW set with a new cap (the tiny ngk 10 ohm fits great in the tight space) and that got Us spark!

I made a retention bracket for the muffler out of some coat hanger, clamps, and springs, works pretty well specially once it's warmed up. Also put on an ok tail light lense and got it plated. Now to make up a bracket for it see about some chains, cables, and tires. It's also missing the air box, though it runs pretty well even with that and the exhaust leak. Not bad up to '20' and maxes out around '25' according to the huret speedo. I think it will be a pretty fun stocker.

Thanks Neil!

Donovan Robins /

Nice job with that 40 love those things very desirable bike glad to see life come out of it

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Neil's a good guy.

Thanks!

And Yeah, Moby $ went towards a TJT for that thing I hear :) (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account