Need a QT50 key+barrel and choke cable

Hi everyone!

I just got a (new to me) Yamaha Qt-50 86' and have been fixing it up. I am in need of a key and barrel (3 switch off/start/run) I would also consider buying the whole speedometer assembly if I needed to. Currently the only ones on ebay are $100+ and I don't have a local Yamaha dealer. I was also in search of a choke cable as well. If you would be willing to part with extras or could point me to somewhere that sells these parts it it would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt (edited)

Re: Need a QT50 key+barrel and choke cable

You should be able to adapt a generic scooter keyswitch to your bike. Do a search here on this site and you'll see where others have bypassed the start setting.

Failing anything ask for assistance in the repair forum. There are lots of QT50 guys here and I bet someone would be willing to help.

I just hotwired one, it was really easy. I think red black to grey? idk i already forgot lol!

Any cable will work for a choke cable

I was looking into modifying a newer switch but I wasn't sure if it would work the photos I have seen on ebay seem to have more wires than newer switches. Primarily I wasn't sure how to wire it to get the "start" to work. Ill have to do some more research.

According to the wiring diagram there are 7 wires coming from the switch http://www.matadorcoupe.com/QT50Wiring.jpg

I guess its just a matter of finding the right type of switch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account