Build your own throttle cable?

james burleigh /

I was wondering if anyone has used a universal cable kit for a bicycle to make new cables for throttle? My 1983 express needs new cables and i thought it might be worth a try to make some.

Re: Build your own throttle cable?

I'm in the process of doing this, hella cheap vw new "throttle" cable from the third guy taking a cut outa you in the parts supply. Id you've got the parts off the old cable ends then its really simple, other than that, I couldn't tell yah.

Yeah, totally doable, I buy the cable kits at Walmart and cut'em to whatever. You get like 6 cables, you can use for brakes , comp. release, throttle, clutch. For throttle, you use the bike shift cable, just cut inner and outer to desired length. If you need,(like on Puch), nibs on both ends, I use appropriate sized brass tubing, drill for cable, position on cable and fill with solder. Then smooth with dremel. You also can buy the outer cable chrome ends at any bike shop.

phillip stinger /

i did it with a puch ne thing that screw tightens like puch or tomos at the throttle instead of fitting down into a connector it would be easy. replaced choke and throttle with the 5 dollar kit at walmart for cable tune up kit

james burleigh /

Great info. Thanks everyone.

found this that i made the other day.

derailleur cable (free from a bike shop if you know somebody) file down the end, done.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account