WTB: Peugeot 103 drive shaft

I just picked up a 1980 Peugeot 103. It seems that the previous owner striped out the flywheel side of the drive shaft. The shaft is completly round and there is no way to tighten the flywheel. Does anyone have anything laying around that might help me out? If not can anyone recommendation as to where I might score the parts?

Thanks in advance,

Brent Braun

Re: WTB: Peugeot 103 drive shaft

ummm... I'm sure that you're talking about the crank shaft, and it is supposed to be round. You just smack the fly wheel on with a mallet and tighten the nut up. This is assuming that you know how to time it.

And I'm not going to assume that you know how to time it. Don't fret, it's in the wiki... You should check the Wiki out...

Brent Braun /

Charlie it is the crankshaft, but the threads on it are stripped. I can smack the flywheel on with a mallet but there are no threads to tighten the nut up. any tricks for rethread this?

I Was trying to figure out a way to rethread it but I think I just need a new crankshaft, just trying not to drop $100 at Treats. Was hoping someone had the parts laying around on a bench and would prefer have a bit of money instead.

p.s. I love the Wiki bought my first 103 a year ago and spent a lot of hours reading and rereading it. Having no knowledge of mechanics at all it allowed me to rebuild the entire bike.

Thanks again for your help,

Brent Braun

you could try to rethread the crank. I have fixed threads before with thread files and die's... I have never went a size smaller though. Good luck.

If I get a new crank for mine any time soon I'll sell you my stocker for cheaps.

Post a new thread. "WTB: Stock Peugeot 103 Crankshaft"

Someone will probably have one for $20-$40 shipped.

Sorry Brent if I had a good spare one, I would send it to you. But i can tell you this word of advice to save you frustration in the future. I assume you already have a CAM puller to remove the flywheel. I suggest you find some good rubber that is 1/8"(+) thick and cut a small circle out of it that can fit inside the barrel of the puller.

This will act as a protective buffer for the crankshaft ends. As you start to tighten the cam puller it puts alot of pressure on the crankshaft end which could damage the threads. That rubber will prevent thread damage, trust me.

^everything he said, plus watch how many times you hit the flywheel. it is made of soft metal and will warp, i learned the hard way.

Brent Braun /

Thanks Nick that's great advice. I always just eased into as a gently tapped it with a mallet. The previous owner of this 103 wasn't very affectionate towards her. Damn near ever bolt on the thing is stripped out. Most of them were easily replaced at the local hardware store but I was super bummed to find the crankshaft stripped.

Brent Braun

yeah. just build my first pug (for a customer) they are delicate little engines.

took me almost 300 in parts/labor

brent, 'smacking the crankshaft'with anything more than a tap is a definite no no! When I restored my pug, the fly wheel was stuck so tight, the puller mushroomed the end of the crankshaft badly. But careful work with a tiny file and the right die(10mmx1 i think) and it's been good since. If yours is not chasable, I would try recutting it to 9mmx1, what do you got to lose?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account