Decent affordable moped for a college kid?

Hi, I've been all over the internet trying to find reviews for a lower priced moped for my daughter who's going away

to school next fall, but I'm not having a lot of luck, so I hope you can help me.

Since I'm already in the poorhouse with tuition and everything, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a new moped,

but I'm also nervous about buying a used one since the kiddo is not particularly handy and will be three states

away.

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent machine and a decent price? Will it require much maintenance?

<url> http://www.saferwholesale.com/50cc-MAUI-DREAMER-4-Stroke-Moped-p/50md.htm</url> ;

Re: Decent affordable moped for a college kid?

That is a scooter (not a moped). Its a POS Chinese plastic crap toliet on 2 wheels. Other than that it will probably run good for a few months and then cost as much to fix it as it does to buy another one new.

Sorry miss, thats not a moped. This is a moped. See the PEDALS?

Borg Resistance /

I would recommend buying from a brand you've heard of, Yamaha, Honda, Vespa, etc. Those are reliable and retain value when you need to sell it.

Don't buy her a moped or scooter if she doesn't have the time or desire to learn how to be somewhat handy. She would need tools and to learn how to fix them (everything you would want to know about popular mopeds is on this site), if you don't want to pay a mechanic $60 to clean a carburetor....

Whatever you do, don't buy her a shitty plastic chinese scooter!

That's a terrible choice. A Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki anything used and in good shape is the way to go. About the same price range, worlds better quality.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

Get her a bicycle.

yep

get a bicycle

at least if it breaks someone else can fix it other than you

since females hate getting greasy hands

Leo you are awful.

What Responsible Jon said... Something Japanese with well cared for, low mileage.

Get a scooter that has an underseat trunk for textbooks and such.

Honestly, I've got to agree with them on a bicycle. They're incredibly easy to fix if something hapens to them, and require almost no mechanical knowledge.

Also, isn't she going to college? Mopeds/scooters can get expensive, especially if you don't have the knowledge of how to maintain or repair them.

In conclusion, a bicycle is a much better investment for your daughter.

Timmy Southpark /

Bicycle is the best choice, just buy a decent used one, not a walmart special.

Mopeds / Scooters require alot of fixing peroidically, and usually acquire quirky problems that can be hard to trouble shoot even for guys that fix them regularly.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If you're definitely set on buying her a scooter, I would highly recommend a Honda Metropolitan . Other than 1K interval oil changes, they are virtually maintenance free.

There are many good opinions here. If you are set on a scooter I would recommend something from a reputable brand so that you can actually get parts for it or have it serviced. Honda and Yamaha both make very good scooters. If you want a cheaper used model you might look into the Yamaha Razz, Yamaha Zuma, Honda elite 50. A bicycle is also a pretty good idea since they are cheap, require little maintenance and are easy to replace if stolen. Not everyone is a big fan of riding a bicycle though, and some areas are more bicycle friendly than others, so I cant say how well one will work in your case.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account