Disclaimer: This kit is not for everyone. It requires custom modifications to cases to work. Please read on if youre up for some experimentation.
First off, this kit is the best hobbit kit... period. The most powerful, most revs, and amazing quality.
Second, this kit powered my hobbit to the honest low 60 mph area for 2 seasons and over 3000 miles on both coasts. It was never seized. Sarah blew a hole in the piston after a set of points took a shit in Austin, but it has a new piston which i waited 6 months to get, and it has less than 1000 miles. Consistently and reliably the fastest hobbit ever on these shores?
My simple setup was this kit was this: 30 yr old points, motomatic n8p, derbi 6 weight vario, dio 4 pedal and 24mik. dio2ks
I modified the stock head by hand with a dremel to give it clearance for the piston. This method proves to be crude, yet successful (also ask Matt Aberle) but it can make the headgasket a weak link if you decide to keep the decomp. I am a hobbit purist, so i always keep the decomp. This kit will require a new ATHENA headgasket.
The kit transfers have been opened up substantially and the transfer splitters have been thinned and smoothed. Extra material will need to be added to stock cases and transfers will need to be widened to make the most of this setup. I used JB Weld on the cases and it seemed to do ok, but i did A LOT of prep work and was very patient. It might bolt up to a stock case without mod, but i would not recommend it. A custom basegasket will need to be cut.
I will include the stock head i cut to make it work, but ideally you'd ask graham from the cranks to cut you a custom one, but i do not recommend having any type of high comp math'd out squishband. All hobbit kits are low comp and run cold and they are fine with it.
Devin Biek and i spent many many hours cleaning this kit up. thinning out walls, examining all the flow areas and making them as smooth as possible in the transitions. You will see port work at its finest with this kit. All extra "flashing" from the cast has been removed and cleaned up. The exhaust outlet was cleaned up, opened up and smoothed to a mirror finish. This setup is designed to flow seamlessly and matched into a Motomatic 24mm header with a custom exhaust gasket that does not crush into the port creating a bottleneck. The motomatic is the only pipe i suggest running with this kit. not much of the port timing has been changed. maybe 1-1.5mm total raising/lowering.
There are bronze sleeves in the stud holes, resizing them to 6mm making the kit perfectly centered on all the studs.
This kit is awesome but its a challenge. I managed to not have a lot of maintenance but i really put a lot of time and heart into the setup and always was thinking ahead of potential failures and going the extra mile.
$180 shipped is the price. Comes with clean low milage piston.
if you read carefully, i gave away alot of my little secrets for a consistent and powerful build.