Custom Spokes and Wheels

My local buddies told me I should come over here to offer my wares for your pleasures. I have been lacing up wheels since 1995, and recently built a spoke rolling machine for custom length spokes. I have built up a few wheels for locals from MidMoPeds and IRE (pics being gathered). Now I can offer any length you want from 15 gauge to 12 gauge. I can also get many sizes of 11ga spoke for a very low price.

Each spoke is high quality stainless steel, made by Sapim. Average prices are $1 each spoke/ nipple pair. Nipples are genuine nickle plated brass Sapim Polyax (best we have used).

12ga spokes are 2.6mm diameter, and are used on the vast majority of moped wheels. 11ga spokes are 2.9mm diameter, and are generally used on some rear wheels and heavy mopeds.

With a few measurements of your hub and rim, or the length of your old spokes we can get you lined up! Measuring a spoke is easy, just hook it over a ruler and see how long it is from the bend to the end.

Don't feel comfy doing this stuff yourself? I can lace up the wheel for you for $55 per wheel or $85 for a set. Compare that to a motorcycle shop, you will pay about twice as much (if they don't shun you out of the shop).

We can help build up lightweight wheels for your race ped, some nice and shiny wheels for your everyday cruiser, or just about anything you need. Hit me up with questions or needs that you have. I love making wheels come true!

Re: Custom Spokes and Wheels

I love making wheels come true! clever

Well, I do! Sounds kinda cheesy after reading it again, huh? When I get bored I lace up wheels. I guess that is what happens when I have 20 bikes and I want them all to be blk blk wheels

Sweet, where are u located? If i provide the hubs can you make me new wheels? If so i would like a quote. Shoot me an email.

I am in Columbia, MO currently. Off the cuff lacing job would be $157 plus return shipping and cost of rims if you need me to source. Of course rims can range from $60 a set of steel to $200 each for some nice light Excel's.

I have almost $600 in my own set of wheels, not including my labor.

$157 is a steal for custom laced wheels. John Rob was nothing but amazing when doing my wheel. He explained everything to me even though it was all Latin. Wheel was perfectly true, and has stayed that way, awesome awesome.

The setup was a CR50 hub laced into a Honda NU50 16" rim, then put on a Freespirit 1.

Photos:

Mounted on Bike:

holmes is science!

Nice!

He laced me a minarelli hub to a 17 inch rim.

pics?

† CH∆D † /

how about some spokes for my cb175? I can grab some calipers if you think you could do em.

Measure them up, I can certainly give it a shot. If it is larger than 2.9mm diameter, I do not currently have the resources for it and would just go to ebay or buchanan spoke (for the high quality stuff)

I need a spoke set for my 1957 Allstate (Puch ) Moped. Or I can send my old wheels/hubs, and my new aluminum rims to you for you to lace. BTW, I lived in Columbus in 1972 when I went thru USAF pilot training. Let me know what is possible...Mr. Bill

Panhard- you have emails. Totally possible for me to lace it up.

Oh my god, im going to crunch some numbers and talk to you. Ive been wanting to have some crazy patterns done ... i've drawn em out in cad haha

so cool!

Post up the screen grabs! The limiting factor will be the rim. Since the eyelets are angled on the typical moto/ moped rim we don't have many choices.

I'll see if I can snag some pics of RK's wheel tonight. I can basically lace any hub to any rim you want.

And this guy isnt all sketchy like your local bike shop who asks "whats it for, I dont know if I can do that, let me fuck up this wheel you paid for, then charge you 300 bucks for the fuckup"

I'll be doing this in the future on a special benelli mini-noped build.

The last time I messed up a wheel I ate $80 in parts and lost money, but the guy did get a nice wheel when it was all said and done. I learned what not to do!

Actually, I do ask what it is going on because it interests me a lot! I have laced wheels for bmx, mountain, trials, mopeds, ebikes (a lot of these), and motorcycles.

My favorite right now is colored matching wheelsets. Just laced up a set of black wheels for myself.

Evidently we can't use tags to post images. Would somebody let me in on the site code for this? Can't seem to edit my posts either.

Close to matching wheels-

1282684602_dual_tw9s.jpg

^^^ That is a sick bike.

you, my friend, may have struck gold.

color mated spoked for 2011... I want some really light ones!!

And I totally forgot my camera at RK's last night.

Thanks for the props. The Le Toy bike is actually electric, it rips up most of the 50cc bikes around here. Do you guys have any suggestions on colors that may be popular? I could just get a custom run of 12 gauge colored stuff if red or black or whatever proves to be popular.

Here are some wheelbuilds that I have done recently. The first one is a motor hub built into a 16" rim, super solid. The last two pics are a wheel I built today. Rear motorcycle hub laced into a Surly Large Marge rim for an ultralight electric motorcycle. We used 14ga spokes on it because of time constraints, but I think the rim could have taken the full tension of 13ga spokes too. As you see, there is some bend to the spokes at the hub engagement. I bent the spokes to reduce the stress at this angle of entry, so we shouldn't have troubles with spoke breakage in the future.

Sometimes, little compromises like that have to be made on a mutt of a wheel.

New spokes for hot wheels have been shipping out! Whether you need 3 or 80, we cut em and roll them as fast as possible.

can it be done puch 36 hole hub to 26 36 hole rim ?

Yep, that can be done. The limiting factor is the hole size on the hub VS the hole size on the rim. I have 13/14ga spokes that would work with a spoke washer on the hub. I am assuming you mean a mountain bike rim when you say 26.

email sent!

email back at you.

It looks like some certain wheels may need a few MM shorter spokes than stock, because of the nipple and thread profiles. Example, Cimatti uses a 156 on the rear wheel, 16" rim. 156mm didn't quite bury the nipple into the rim so we are using 153mm instead.

Rolled up a set this morning, thanks fellas! I also have some steel 16x1.6 and 17x1.6 rims coming my way in case you need some "new" wheels built.

ok this is whats up got this 1937 elgin bicycle that has a puch e50 motor the wheels are 26in schwinn drop down rims

with 12 ga spokes i can give you the measurements of the puch hub and rim let me no how you want the measurements any help on this if not thats cool

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account