Magnum tank Project

well because I cant find any magnum tanks that arnt beat to living hell, or rusted to shit. im now looking for something to use as a pattern to build an alloy tank or fiberglass. (yes I know how to do this)

So what do you have thats on the cheap? btw, if they turn out good I might consider selling them.

Also if you have a "nice" tank ied still like to find one :)

Re: Magnum tank Project

yo i dont have one for you. but i am really into your idea of building a fiberglasss tank. please keep us updated!

Jason Jason Bobason /

I thought about making a fiberglass tank. And then I thought about taking a spill, the gas tank cracking, and my beautiful ped going up in flames. No fiberglass for me :(

Thats a good concern, however if you crash hard enough to fracture a tank that has been made correctly with the proper amounts of resin/fiber, and with modern materials that can withstand impact better, Ied think you would have bigger problems to worry about.

Besides Im actually more interested in making an aluminum tank.

Put baffle foam in the tank and you'll be safe with a glass tank.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/foam.htm

Two layers of 8ounce cloth, a layer of 12ounce mat, followed by another two layers of 8ounce cloth will get you a good, strong shell. If you crack that, whatever you hit has already killed you.

Aluminum tanks are prone to cracking from vibration. Make sure you put a lot of rubber between the tank and the frame. Don't use any direct metal-to-metal mounting methods.

trickmetric makes a good point about the actual lay up, if you hit something with a tank constructed the way he suggests youll have much bigger problems than a cracked tank.... and as far as the alloy mounting, i was planing on designing a rubber mounted system to prevent the danger of vibration on both alloy and fiber.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account