WTB: Moby engine mounts

if anyone could spare a set that would be awesome. Id even take those diy polyurethane ones.

Re: WTB: Moby engine mounts

i could also use a used proma gp

treats has the engine mount things for cheap.

yeah i know but there outta stock. thanks tho

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Quarterkick will have the mounts. You may have to email them for the mounts because they changed website and have not gotten all the inventory logged yet.

Word on the street is those replacement motor mounts are no good.

read about it here

I mean, don't let me dissuade you, I have not tried the treats ones, but just read that thread, that's where my info comes from.

I have shredded a set of QK mounts but here is the trick. You do not have to reef down on the engine mount bolt. If you do it transfers the shear to the center tube of the mount. It should have a ny-lock nut so put it on and it will stay. If you do that your mounts will last.

That didn't quite make sense "reef down" I assume means torque it really tight. "transfers the shear to the center tube of the mount" doesn't quite gel to me either. Sorry you gotta talk square, I didn't quite catch that.

It is interesting to note that regular 'ol replacements work just fine. thanks.

basically dont torque that nut down too hard when you get new mounts on there. the stock nut comes with nylock on it, and its there for a reason. just remember that.. tighten it _just_ enouh to hold your engine on, nothing more.

miker is 100% correct with this, i tore thru a set of mounts in like two weeks cause i torqued the shit out of that nut for no reason. lesson learned.

You can also still buy brand new version of the mbk motor mounts here break> These are, or so a Frenchman so kindly informed me, the best ones currently made and that the off-brand versions are of inferior quality.

Actually Mark those are the same as what we carry at Quaterkick, they are ordered directly from France from the company that la boutique gets them from.

I just installed a pair of the quarterkick ones, and they seem to be very high quality. The rubber is not rock solid like the 30 year old NOS ones. Oh, and though the special tool they sell is damn expensive, it made the installation extremely easy. If you don't want to spring for that you could probably just hammer the mounts in without too much trouble.

Sorry for the confusion. That was a mix of "I have been wrenchin' with the Ypsi moped kids" and "I have 5 years of mech. eng. schooling". Def: Transfer the shear. It means transfers shear stresses to the mount. Rotational forces cause shear stresses (stresses parallel or tangent to) the mount and rip the centers out.

Also, you can make an engine mount tool for around $10-$15. It is not as sweet as the real deal, but it can be done. Every mount I pull with mine costs me about 6 washers and one nut/bolt because the get bent and gnared all up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account