FS: 1968 Solex 3800 project

I've got what appears to be a mostly complete 1968 Velo-Solex 3800 project that I'd like to sell. It needs the fuel tank and cover, and front brake pads for sure, but seems to be otherwise complete (I'm not too familiar with these but it looks like everything else is there). It appears to have very little use by the lack of scratches and wear on the motor-lever, tires, and roller. The engine turns over freely and it can be ridden like a bike as it is.

I'm asking $300 obo, shipping is available and should be less then $100 anywhere in the US (if disassembled), buyer will be responsible for actual shipping cost plus $25 for handling (disassembly and boxing).

Reply here and I'll send you an email.

Re: FS: 1968 Solex 3800 project

Hi Derek. Can you email a few photos to me, please?

Thank you,

Scott

Derek...can you also send the serial number to me, please? I want to check the year and figure out where it was manufactured.

Scott

emailed...pics to come

I'm open to Puch part trades, e50's, wheels, controls etc. Offers always welcome.

i want pics for my friend

I'll post some by monday.

Confirmed it was made in france, as indicated by the "made in france" sticker.

Where is the SN on these? It buried under 5 other projects in a dark shed so it tough to see anything on it.

pics

1248111511_cimg4650.jpg

looks like a real gem could be awaiting under all that barn crud.

where are you located?

I agree, with some minor cleaning this could be a real beauty. I'm located in Glenwood Springs, CO; but shipping is a possibility as it's a fairly light bike.

Bump

This is a 1973-74 S 3800.

The seven-digit frame serial number is stamped into the right side of the frame, near the weld joining the main downtube to the steering tube. It will begin with the number 8.

Thanks for the info Brian, I was just going off what the old guy that I got it from told me. I'll see if I can get the SN now that I know where to look.

Just trying to help, not get on your case. It's not unusual for there to be confusion about the year of a Solex.

Besides the seven-digit frame number, there is also a separate seven-digit engine serial number stamped into the top rear of the engine, as far back on the engine as you can go, just in front of the steering tube. You may have to remove the engine hood, clean the area, and/or use a flashlight to see it. The engine number on your Solex will start with a 5.

Don't be thrown off by the 14-3-1966 date that you will see cast into the top of the crankcase...it is the date of homologation (approval) of the Cyclomoteur 3800 motor (March 14, 1966) and not the date of manufacture.

http://velosolex4600.over-blog.com

1248322601_solex_illustration_ad.jpg

Bump...if you want this just make an offer it needs to go away!

Lookin' at this one and a couple of others to see about cannibalizing them for parts to build one good complete 3800.

Smiff

Golly, Brian, you sure know how to bring back old memories with all those Saigon pix!! I always wondered how those girls, wearing an ao dai (pronounced ow yiee), kept the hanging flaps from catching in the sprocket on their Solexes, bicycles, and little Hondas, as many of them did not sit on one tail and hold the other one like the three girls in some of those pictures. That super light silk often streamed out behind them, flapping about the rear wheel.

Smiff

Derek:

See if you can get me a shipping cost from your location to Clinton, Arkansas 72031 (to a commercial address, not a residence, to hold down cost). That, plus the $25 packing cost, will tell me how much money I will have left to offer for the Solex. I am looking at other parts bikes, as I will probably need at least two of them to build one refurbished one, so I gotta budget things carefully.

Smiff

A e-mail sent this evening.

. . . er . . . An e-mail . . .

I'm ready to close the deal. Check your e-mail.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account