Mopeds in San Diego, CA

Maria Elizabeth Espiritu /

Having a heck of a time finding a vintage moped in San Diego.

The local & neighboring towns on craigslist don't have much to offer as far as finding the moped of my dreams.

I'm looking for an old puch,batavus, or garelli with a top tank.

I know it's not impossible, but definitely don't know where to start.

If anybody could please help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Elizabeth

Re: Mopeds in San Diego, CA

Hi Elizabeth, best bet is to keep searching on C-list etc. Getting a top tank on here from your fellow MA member will cost you 10 - 200x more than what they are worth and what they actually paid for it. Cheers

You might have to look outside of SD i found a MB5 ans a maxi MKII in the desert for cheap. Top tanks are hard to find cheap around here. ive seen some sweet top tank conversions on MA though.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1028319474.html

whatever this is $40 http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/1026617914.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1023944585.html

_Getting a top tank on here from your fellow MA member will cost you 10 – 200x more than what they are worth and what they actually paid for it._

Really? I'd pick MA for a ped any day over CL. Admittedly, top tanks are popular here (particularly certain models), and you aren't going to see any of us selling a barn-fresh Magnum for $100. If you're looking for an uninformed seller and a deal like that, then certainly CL is your best bet. However, if you go the CL route, you also have to deal with flaky people and idiots who probably don't know much about the moped (although that may not have stopped them from "fixing" it and messing it up). If you buy it from someone here, I think you're much more likely to wind up with a ped that works reliably (reliable being relative, of course. These are mopeds we're talking about).

And, for the record, I feel like I regularly see people post mopeds for sale here that they've also posted on CL, yet they offer a discount for people from this site. Mopeds and moped parts here generally go for much less money than they do on E-bay, although how great of a comparison to CL that is remains up for debate. But the main point is, most of us aren't here to screw each other on prices and make a quick buck.

There are definitely still some mopeds to be found down there, I picked up a mint 84 maxi for $250 about 3 months ago.

You just have to keep looking, be patient, and get lucky.

Yeah, you need to look a bit north and east to broaden your search parameters, none of which are that far from you ... and you will find all kinds of goodies.

thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it

Chris Hernandez /

There is a Magnum, top tank Puch moped for sale at CHoke in Los Angeles. You should look them up. If that is not up your alley, try CL often.

i'll definitely check them out, thank you

i'll definitely keep looking, thank you for your feedback

I've noticed some of the same posts here that I've seen on Craigslist, and it seems like people do sell for cheaper on MA than on CL.

I'll just have to get lucky.

Ah patience, something i'll have to learn. but you're absolutely right it's a matter of getting lucky.

i guess i could go out and buy a new moped/scooter somewhere, but I'm gonna hold off and wait for one to come my way. it will happen eventually.

thanks for your feedback.

i'll keep my eyes peeled for any listings in CA.

thank you

my friend in SD, got a free tsm from a guy at a bar. anyone respond to the great tsm joke on LA c-list? it was that bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account