WTB parts for 59 moby

I need rings, and a new decompression valve. I'm probably just not lookin in the right place,,, who sells this stuff?

Re: WTB parts for 59 moby

scootbikeshop in france. also, theres a guy selling av89 heads on ebay. he's also selling old parts for raleighs. anyhow, he just sent me a decomp valve for my '62, as well as a head. shipping from the uk is real cheap, too, and fast. give it a look.

ALSO

post pics

It has an av7 engine, although a slightly old one. I've been adapting whatever 50v parts I can. The engines are basically identical with the newer 50v av7's for the most part. I'm not sure, but I think pre 76' piston rings may fit. Thats what I'm going to try at least. http://www.solex-motobecane.com has some odds and ends that are handy. Also try handybikes of course.

I'm in the early phase of restoring a 1956 AV54 Moby. I've found that Ebay France is very helpful - the language barrier isn't that bad, if you have copies of the old exploded diagrams in French (they're out there on the internet). You figure out which part you want, type the French name in the Ebay search window with 'mobylette', and you're off. I've managed to order chainguards and tools without much fuss. You can also use Babelfish to translate any emails or Ebay info. Keep digging. Right now, I'm trying to find 14mm (flat-to-flat) flange nuts to replace one that I'm STILL trying to get off - it's stripped all to hell and gone. The more I dig, the more I learn; the more I learn, the more specific I can be when searching. Kind of fun, actually. I'm documenting what I learn as I go, so look for info from me in the future. Let me know how it's going.

let me know if/where you find the right rings, mark. i could use a pair as well.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Mark, if you need to order from France, I'll do your translating.

i wonder if we cant just switch out a piston and rings from a modern av7 into an early-60s av88? they both have the same bore (~39mm). the only different is that the rings are a million times more difficult to find for the older models.

What about using a later model cylinder, piston and rings?

found the right rings! scootbikeshop.com has them unfortunately he charges an unreasonable amount to ship to the us. but still, if you order 4 rings, then add on shipping, youre paying about $10 per ring. expensive, but not ridiculous considered theyre for a rare, 50-year-old vehicle.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account