LOOKING TO BUY in FLORIDA!

Hey, all! :)

I'm looking to buy a moped for a decent price in FLORIDA!

Problem is that whenever I look on Ebay, there's a reserve or it's "pickup only," and is FAR from Orlando.

I'm down to do mod's, restoration, or buy it complete.

Looking for something around $500 in rideable condition; $75 for a frame to build up.

Let me know if you've got anything for me!

Thanks!

Re: LOOKING TO BUY in FLORIDA!

And where in this bloody town might you be?

I'm up in Jacksonville with about 7 Moby's if you're interested!

Orlando! :)

Ahhh! :(

I'm all the way in Orlando (like i said).

I take the city bus everywhere, so I have no way to get anywhere else in Florida...

What part of Orlando?

Between myself and some other locals we could probably come up with enough pieces for a project...if that's what you really want

Around Universal Studios area.

ouch...that's not a good area to ride a moped. Are you looking for everyday transport or something to play around with?

I'm looking for everday transportation; I work over on East 50, which takes 1.5 hrs by bus.

I don't care what I drive at this point; anything is faster than that!

As much as it pains me to discourage anyone...you would be better served with a scooter. Mopeds are assloads of fun but not very reliable. The thought of riding Kirkman Rd and making my way through downtown to East Colonial sends shivers down my spine.

Peds only go like 25 to 35 mph on average unless you tweak them out...which makes them even more unreliable. I would give you a week max before you become a permanent fixture to the underside of a Lynx bus.

A good Vespa ET2, Yamaha Zuma or Aprilia will easily exceed those numbers and not leave you stranded. Finding one for 500 bucks will be a challenge though. Just stay away from the chinese built scooters!

I agree.. I've got a friend with a 2001 50cc Honda moped that he might be interested in selling. I work with a shipper that goes up and down I95 so delivery to your house wouldn't be problem. If you really want a moped though I've got plenty of Moby's here in Jacksonville

What are you talking about? mopeds can be very very reliable. I have a kitted puch that'll do 50+ no probs. I've tried to seize by running WOT for an extended period of time and NO seize. You just have to know what you are doing.

Generally speaking, 30 year old mopeds are less reliable than 5 year old scooters. Regardless of your mechanical ability, this is just the way it is - older vehicles are generally less reliable and require more work than new ones.

Sure, if you buy a new bottom end, head/piston, gaskets, seals, chains, belts, plugs, wires, CDI, and a myriad of other things, your moped will probably just as reliable as a new scooter. For her intents and purposes, it seems like a 100cc + moped would be a more viable solution to the problem

Come on jae...we're talking of a 19yr old that drives really far for work. My bikes have always been good to me but for her case a scooter is a more realistic proposition.

To clarify Louise, Jae is a bad ass genius with mopeds.

He's probably the most advanced 50cc bike builder in O-Town and we all bow in his presence.

That said, I don't think we should give up on mopeds completely. How about a newish Tomos with Pipe/ upjet/ 27t sprocket? Also how about moving nearer downtown/work?

brown noser.... :P

Stick with Lynx...buy a car...carpool...or best idea of all move over to the east side of town and p/u a ped for weekend fun!

You've definitely got to love the peds - I mean I've ridden mine from North Jacksonville to Ponte Vedre and back multiple times without a hitch! Right on down A1A - anyone up for a cruise the Daytona in the spring for bike week?

Aww man, these are all exactly what I didn't want to hear! :( Haha

In response to everybody's posts:

1) I guess I will just stick it out and save up for a new scooter (I'm just anxious to get off Lynx...gah...)

2) I would absolutely LOVE to move closer to my job/downtown! I spend enough time there that I might as well. (And if that were the case, I'd just ride a fixed gear everywhere!)

3) I can't afford anything really, cause I support my mom and younger siblings (one of whom has autism). :(

4) I love my job as a sewing teacher, and yes, it is unfortunate that it is so freaking far away! Lol

Thanks though. :)

Even I, ride with tools in my saddle bags, owning a moped is a hobby, for reliability you need somthing newer and faster too.

I tried to ride my speed bike in Florida years ago and it was the worse ride of my life , no room for bikes on the roads, Good luck

Hey,

Soooo, is it possible to ship out a Moby? Or is that totally unreasonable...? Heh. :/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account