1980 Yamaha QT50: worth it?

Moped noob, here. Got a line on a 1980 Yamaha QT50, running for $650. Is it worth that much? I can find zero info on the model, here or elsewhere. Is it a lemon? I've got a crush on her, but my heart has steered me wrong before... sigh...

I'm in Chicago, so if anyone's got any better ideas, I'm open to them.

Thanks. This is a great site.

Re: 1980 Yamaha QT50: worth it?

i cant say for sure in your area, but that seems way too much. If it were here in MPLS i'd balk at it for sure - way too much for a qt50. I paid $350 for mine, and i see them on the MPLS craigslist every now and then for anywhere down to $200.

I bought a 200 miles 87 for 500 not a scratch on it, but I would not do that if it was in good condition and low mileage maybe 300 or so. Thats about double what its worth.

Thank you kindly for the input, friends. I'll try to talk her down, but she was asking for $1500 originally, so that doesn't seem likely.

Goddam shame about Chicago prices... Looks like I'm stuck with the CTA. (sad Charlie Brown music plays)

I have been looking at scooters and thinking about buying one for several years now...since gas skyrocketed, so has the price of scooters. BIG TIME. Especially here in the NE. At least for a while you can kiss the $200 running moped or scooter goodbye.

If the QT is running and you like it, I doubt you will find one for much less...around here, the asking price is $150-$200 for a scoot for parts or fix up yourself but definitely not running.

Good luck.

I just got a maxi.

(happy charlie brown music plays)

Yeah I emailed the lady with the 1500$ qt.

I paid 150 for mine in dump condition, but would never pay more than 400 for a stock qt.

Did a search of all CL cities, prices all over the place. I see a 81 qt50 there in chicago for $400 looks pretty nice. Posted today.

I just bought a Yamaha QT50 for $50 if that lets you in on anything... Pulled it out of the dumpster and had it running in less than an hour. Mine will do about 30-35mph. Personally, I think that Yamaha is the best in the world at building small engines. However, $650 seems a little high,but that depends on the condition of the bike, so if the bike is cherry I'd say go for it.

Timmy Southpark /

Something else to factor in. You can wait months looking for the right deal. Sometimes its worth alittle bit more to buy the bike close to your house and get it now, rather than waiting 3months and taking road trips to get one.

I will agree $650 is a bit high, i would try atleast $500. But really with gas prices the way they are, the bike will pay for itself quickly. So go have fun with life, dont be a penny pincer everyday or you'll never have adventures.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account