Garelli Moped

I am new to MOPED ARMY and have not received any replies to my posts. I have a Garelli moped that I am looking to get rid of (doesn't run) and I have a Tomos Silver Bullet that I want to repair and ride. I am an older guy than I think most of you are, but I am wary of motorcycles and want to start easy by riding a moped, baby steps (My wife thinks I'm a Dork). If there is anyone who can help me repair the Tomos, I would appreciate it. I would also like to get rid of the Garelli. Thanks in advance. Mike

Garelli Moped

You'd be surprised at how many of the people on here are not young whippersnappers.

What is wrong with the Bullet and do you have any pictures of the Garelli?

Also, are you expecting posts to be delivered to your email or do you keep coming back here to check for replies? They will not be emailed.

Re: Garelli Moped

I keep checking here to see and just now found 4 replies. I do have photos and will attach them. The Garelli is real rough. Thanks. Mike

1209008317_pict1305.jpg

The Bullet cranks over and the lights come on, but it won't start. I know nothing about mechanics and would benefit from a small engines class I guess. I figured it would be easy to find a manual and zip right through repairs. I was wrong. I can't even find a manual.

I'm 54 years old next month.

I'm almost 40 and have never been on 2 wheels with a motor until recently. It's addictive.

welcome, Fred's moped repair guide is a good place to get started on the basics to get 'er running.

Thank you for the help. Mike

Check out the manuals on mopedcentral.com to Mike. We all started new and had to learn a little at a time. Most of the people here are pretty cool about helping. Zack Bandit and Rob K. know a lot about Garellis. Try to email them if you can't find it first in the manuals on mopedcentral.com..

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I'm 47 and never thought of myself as old.

stick them bikes in a truck and bring em to louisville, Zack will get your garelli running and ill get your tomos to rip. it will be a good day.

Dayton, hmmm... That's not SUPER far from me. If only I had money, I could come fix your Tomos for ya, or at least tell you what the problem is. First thing's first, pull out the spark plug and make sure it's not all gunked up.

After replacing the plug, make sure you're getting gas. Take the fuel line off the carburetor and turn the fuel valve on for a second. Any gas? Is it clean? Is the tank dirty or rusty when you look inside the gap cap? If you've got gas there, you might need to take the carb apart and clean it. It's not as hard as it looks. I generally can tear one apart and clean it in about 10-15 minutes. Super easy, really.

Also, you might want to check the air filter. Is it clean? Is it even there? This is crucial.

Next, if it still won't run, you might need to take the spark plug out and check for some spark. Just take it out, re-attach the plug wire, rest it on the cylinder so the nut on the plug is touching metal, and crank it over once. Got spark?

Just remember, the three things you need for an engine to run are compression, fuel and a spark. Read Fred's moped repair guide. Lots of info. These are just some basic checks and some of the things you'll want to try first.

Oh, and that Garelli isn't that bad. I'd ride it if I had the money for it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account