new moby engine for over 400Bucks???

I must be dreaming, from Ohio home of the slow C type mopeds.(20mph) Someone needs it bad enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPED-MOTOBECANE-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ200206216966QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200206216966

Re: new moby engine for over 400Bucks???

35 years old != new.

Hell, you could buy an av10 setup for that price and you would be going a LOT faster then 22mph.

its New Old Stock= NOS....I am not that up on Motobecanes but who else out there has brand new engines for sale...Not rebuilt, not refreshed, NEW.

Restorers who want original parts are going to be all over anything that is NOS...

NOS descriptions get over used on Ebay. New engine usually look new and shiny not missing parts and showing half harness etc'.

I AGREE, most of Ebay is filled with half truths but, I bought a NOS vespa tailight assbly off this guy and it was mint... I see someone else has bought NOS parts off of him and he also described it as mint.

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!

whomever A...O is thats bidding at 400+ is a retard.. I should sell my "NOS" moby motors on e-bay fuck u can but a whole bike for that price!!!

I don't understand they must have no reference as to what mopeds are worth and did absolutely no research b4 making those bids!!! CRAZY!!!

fuck. i should be rebuilding moby engines and selling them for that much.

shut up guys, i'm bidding on that.

make sure you get a $100 NOS piston stop too. You cant work on it without one.

I'll put my money, that this thing gets re listed in a week. With shipping it's nearly $450. And still 4 days to go. It's nuts

I didnt realize there were that many brand new Moby engines out there..

Can someone give me the website that has all these new engines available for sale??

Who needs NOS though? Get some cases, blast and clean them and you can buy everything else and make your own. Bearings, gaskets, seals, all that stuff is available.

I dont think the price would be quite so high for a blasted, cleaned, rebuilld....

there is a quality that cant be matched when an engine has been assembled with all new factory parts,, at factory specs,, by the engines manufacturer.

The Japanese make 1960's Motobecane replicas, I am assuming that the engines off of these should fit our late 70's Motobecanes, so why hasn't anyone tried to buy a few engines from the Japs?

if you get someone who really knows what they're doing, any properly rebuilt motor will be as good (and in many cases better) than a 30 year old factory one with drled up gaskets and seals.

check your facts NOS sells for more than rebuilt.period.

cars,motorcycles,mopeds its all the same....

Example: this one was rebuilt even with some NOS parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FULLY-RESTORED-1970-HONDA-MINI-TRAIL-50-Z50-WOW-K2_W0QQitemZ290210590678QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290210590678

now these are a special edition and there are two of them but other than that these are 22 years old all dried out gasket&seals and all..reserve not met even.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-z50-z50r-minitrail-hondaline-special-chrome-z50rd_W0QQitemZ310024645789QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310024645789

Those auctions are irrelevant. We're talking about mopeds. Even NOS mopeds only go for $1500 or so.

My point was, who NEEDS NOS? Hardly anyone here does. What, to put it on your 0 mile moped with the blown engine?

this is old rehash, rebuilders vs restorers, this argument goes back to flatheads in period rods or SBC replacement engines....Why do people in this forum have to knockdown people for buying and paying what they want...

Do you want to know how much an engine is worth for a moped?, WHATEVER THE HELL SOMEBODY PAYS FOR IT!

Shaler is right. I have rebuilt an engine that was just like new.

_if you get someone who really knows what they’re doing, any properly rebuilt motor will be as good (and in many cases better) than a 30 year old factory one with dried up gaskets and seals_

But it can never,ever be new....People pay for that...

I personally dont care for NOS..I am a small engine technician,,,I fix my own stuff...but,, no matter how polished,, how clean I can make one of my engines it will never sell at a higher price than comparable NOS engine..because of their rarity.

I have a hard time understanding how its being stated something isnt worth the price being paid<<< what they should be saying is its not worth that much to them...

It is worth what is being paid, that is the ultimate determination of worth,THE PAID PRICE.

I really dont see any completely rebuilt engines being sold anywhere, here or Ebay...and who's to say a rebuilder knows what they are doing?

Ask the rebuilder of your engine what the ductile strength of the piston rings that were used? and what degree angle was the boring crosshatch done at?,,,did the two compliment each other?..what is the expansion rate of the piston? was the bore set up for that at the operating temperature?..what pipe is being used for that bore/piston/temperature rebuild?....what is his hours of service rating for the rebuild?.....All this means dick to most people and,, alot of it is forgiving however, the MFG has thought of this and has designed their motors based on these,just a few, guidelines(specs)...hence NOS is more exacting than 95% of rebuilds

Wait, aren't you the guy that paid a buttload for the trike addition? And now you realized that it isn't a differential version and it's crap? And you're still here trying to defend paying high prices for stupid things like a 20mph motor?

If I was to buy NOS for that price I'd want fool proof guaranty that it is NOS, not just taken off a very low mileage moped. I have learned a lot buying from Ebay, in general very few people know what they sell in very good details, stuff gets sold as new with nuts and bolts showing marks, from being removed. That's why I question the price. Rare is an other one, sheesh, 14million of Motobecanes that ain't rare. . Some of the NOS or seemingly NOS stuff comes from dealership closed long time ago, the parts coming out of there may have been exchanged for unknown reasons. No one knows. _ it came from the dusty shelves of some dealer back room_

I just don't trust the posting at full face value in general

New is better than rebuilt, but then again when you rebuild you know what went in.

oh i know people go ape shit over NOS stuff, i wasnt arguing that at all. you mentioned the quality that couldnt be matched of something (in this case, a 30 year old motor thats been sitting god knows where) that was assembled with all new parts by the manufacturer. a rebuilder/restorer can take the "quality" that the manufacturer put into the process (which actually is often pretty sloppy due to the mass produced nature of whatever it is) and increase it two fold, and thats all i was saying.

I have a 50V engine on my bench, still in good condition ,it may have about 4 to 5 k in it, but I want to rebuild it for just the fun of it, I will keep it as a spare for my 3 50Vs. I paid a 100 bucks for the whole moped, saved everything but the frame, with new parts this motor will cost me about $170 totally redone and that include the 100 bucks for the moped I cannibalized. Someone with no knowledge of moped repair is buying this 450 dollars engine thinking you just slap it on and it will run. Then again he or she may have lottsa dow. Keep an eye open for the re listing next week.

I guess there are people out there that are all about is low ball pricing and seeing how they can get something cheap,waste a bunch of their time on then brag about how it cost next to nothing......

Then theres me.. whose repair time is worth $50/hour and knows that 3 hours labor, plus machining cost,plus parts for a quality rebuild goes over $400 in a blink.

I want to ride, I am not from the car show era, where I wingup my coffee can exhaust pipe honda and sit in the parking lot with my neons on talking smack about how this one time I smoked a stock Mustang 5.0, I am also not the one that takes my trailer queen classic car out twice a year and sit at a swap meet parking lot and talk cars over coffee and donuts.

I get it done, My time is obviously worth more than yours.. As you talk on how OTHER people should spend THEIR money.

And Colin, Im sorry, I didnt realize you had a trike that was better than mine....Whats that? you dont even have one?,,Then STFU. The differential is an option I would like to try...The trike is just fine without it. However I want more...So, go polish a knob and call it special because you dont have the cash for something original

Last I remember they don't put pockets in coffins. So you ain't gonna take it with ya. Last one to have more fun wins.

We are the reason why mopeds prices are going up, we make it look to easy to outsiders. They do not see all the man hours spent on fixing these old things. I'll buy a ped cheap as possible spend money fixing it and returning it to be ridden. No fortune to be made here but lots of fun doing it, I don't put a price on my time, time has no price, even Einstein said it "time is relative".. It's what you make of it.

If you look good you'll see my moped in space.

So If I bring a moped needing work home in my van and take a shortcut thru one of the worm holes, I actually can get the moped home back brand new ,without to spend any money or time. Nice stuff. Va chier dans ton chapeau.

Wow, "Foxboss9" it must be really hard putting up with all these dumb around you all the time. How do you find the patience? They're so dumb. You're so right, oh my god, you are right, so right, why didn't i see it, i will always ask for your opinion on everything because it is so good and smart and true and i can't believe it why why why why is everyone but you so dumb?

lol i can't wait till the dude buying the motor trys to put it on his NOS bike and start it up with his NOS wireing harness that he will not understand, and his NOS controls that will short out in a month, and brake lines that are stale, and nos belt thats dry rotted and cracking.

lolz even if u paid $100000 for a ped it still doesn't make it run, haha i hope whomever is buying thats stuff only wants it to look pretty in a store front cuz that shit will never run waht it should at that price... hehe especially a moby.

my 1st bike was an actual 600 mile moby i paid $500 for it it broke down in a month from daily riding, shit rattled off it, the brake light switches failed, the petcock started leaking everything broke. the speedo made it to abit over 900miles b4 it stopped working, oh the speedo lights those where the 1st to go.

then i rebuilt the bike with a bunch of performance parts it kept breaking until i got better at working on bikes and put alot of time into it then and it was super reliable, and much faster. up until the last original part cracked, the frame.

NOS geez gimmi a break its a moped and inherently a POS to begin with, its the riders/mechanics that make them reliable they come unreliable. thats the nature of it.

well unless u buy a new tomos... worth every penny!

ethos is the most important factor for paying somone to rebuild a motor

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account