FS: 1986 Solo Moped

In LA County CA, German solo moped, it still has the German licence plate. It is almost complete missing throtle lever, cable. Engine turns has spark and compression. Rims and fenders are nice. Gas tank is clean no rust. NOT RUNNING. needs paint job. $100.00 dolares

Re: FS: 1986 Solo Moped

Willing to freight it if costs are paid?

Can you describe the drive system? Different models had different styles of "clutches" . Does it say Hydro on it anywhere? Or Solo-matic, etc...

Here is a pic, I hope it helps, don't know anything about these Solos.

1199569166_40c4_1.jpg

If it's possible can you post a pick of the other side? Kinda close up on the motor and the belt pulley? If I can arrange shipping I'm interested no matter what. But if it has the drive system I'm looking for I might go to extreme lengths to get it up here to Portland...

Thanks for your time mopetero!

Oh hey Ajwasp if your still reading this thread, to the best of my knowledge none of the German Solo's were variated. See the long pipe? We'll just have to try fixing yours....

Just learned that some of my fellow Puddle Cutters are going down for the Latebirds rally next month so I could get it picked up then. Hopefully.

bump

If you could take that pic of the drive side so I can see if it has the part I need, I will mail you a check tomorrow, or a money order, or paypal you or whatever.

Assuming you don't mind storing it till February when I could get it picked up.

If it's too much of a pain just say so. I'll quit hassling you :)

Sorry, it is not a hassle just that my cam is kind of not working right, here you go.

1199763897_01010002.jpg

here is another one.

1199764005_010100021.jpg

those pics suck so bad

Yeah, my cam is ancient.

It's not one of the rare ones unfortunately. Not super exciting for me because I have 5 solos already. Somebody local should grab that and get it on the road! Easy to find a throttle for it.

If you end having no takers and there is room in the Puddle Cutter van during the rally I'll snatch it up then.

Thanks!

Hey Cad, maybe you can sell me the missing parts: throtle unit (including the brake lever) and seat. Is it true that these engines are water cooled?

check out the solo wiki article that Seth is putting together

The throttle unit is just a standard Magura unit. You can get one of those off a million different bikes.

I don't have a seat in good condition, just glue some foam and a piece of vinyl on it. If you do it carefully it'll look all right. Or take it to an Upholsterer. Simple motorcycle seats usually cost about 50-100 dollars to redo.

Yes it's water cooled. If it's not full of fresh coolant you will overheat and seize it if you get it running. I've got a repair tutorial up on how to change it.

I've been working on that wiki almost everyday lately, by the time it's done it should have everything you might ever want to know about the Solo including "High Performance" recipes.... adapting parts from other bikes, where to find the few parts that are available, etc...

Thanks! Yeah that repair tutorial would really help since I am not familiar with these Solos.

Hey Guys,

I was told that they are filled with non circulating trasmission fluid, not water, and it shouldn't need changed out very often, if ever. There is a certain amount of air left in to allow for expansion of the fluid when it heats up. Seems it dissapates the heat faster than the aluminum fins.

My 2 cents,

Larry

(PS: I own an NOS Mars/Solo engine with carb and exhaust)

ATF oil goes into the Hydrodrive clutch only.

The cylinder takes 0.16 liters of water/glycol mix, i.e. coolant. That's straight out of the German Solo owner's manual.

For most applications it's recommended to change coolant at least once a year....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account