Re: WTB Moby Pulley

I have to agree you came down a little hard on mopedjay. He just showed an alternate approach - maybe one not for you, but he wasn't being insulting.

Not everyone sees a need for a working v/m lever, and even if you have one, screwing with it can cause heartache! (Ask me how I know).

Be nice, thank him for the suggestion while declining the idea, but no need to question his knowledge of Mobys.

Peace, and happy new year!

i disagree. there were plenty of people helping me out with information that was relevant, and even a few offers were made. He showed up with his rat pulley and great. My first few replies to it were docile and tolerant.

but then, "what the hell am I talking about?"

im not egotistical. im usually fairly humble. if youve read any of my posts i'll ask for people's advice, and generally take their word before my gut feeling.

but dont suggest an idea that is clearly unacceptable to my standards (great if it works for your batavus, but im not asking for a pulley that works for a batavus), and then, after i explicitly tell you I am not interested, question "what i'm talking about."

But if you really must know what i'm talking about, i'm talking about a pulley that is not made out of wood.

And ive makeshifted plenty of repairs. plenty. So im not doubting your pulley works. This is just not even close to what im asking for. Sorry to come down on ya buddy, but this is just what im talking about.

-Steve

oh wow. turns out its not actually the pulley that is warped but the pedal shaft. anyone got one of those, instead?

also steve, the pedals switch is more trouble than its worth and 50% of the time you will mis align it when re-engauging the motor if you are not looking from the other side. removing the belt to pedal is just as fast (sometimes faster) if u don't have the variator shields on, and much more reliable.

yea i'll admit its a bit tricky, and when the bike was new to me i could never figure it out. but then i thoroughly examined the mechanism, and now that i know how it works its a snap. i just keep it lubed and it doesnt give me any trouble.

and the theme of this bike for my winter rebuild is mechanical infallability. Thats why im keeping performance mods conservative. I want every function on the bike to be reliable, consistent, and as perfect as possible. And that includes the little nooks and crannys like the VtoM. Thanks,

-Steve

_and the theme of this bike for my winter rebuild is mechanical infallability._

So, you're selling the Motobecane and buying a scooter??

As Robert Goulet would say...

"To dream the impossible dream...."

After this winter I expect to see no more posts from you in the Reapir forum!

i dunno about NO more posts, but damn close!

im goin all out on this thing man. Takin some pics along the way, so you can see it along the path. I'm stepping up my proverbial game.

Just bought some orange rattle can, and its a damn close match.

yeah wait until your out on the road some day and it breaks then what ya going to do

um. fix it? thats what you do when stuff breaks isnt it?

are you still upset because your pulley is made out of wood?

to clarify a little bit- drive cogs are interchangeable between pullies, but the arm on the back that engages or disengages the sprocket is different for 11, 12 and 13t cogs.

at least i know how to build something out of nothing i dont have to go out and buy everything

factory stock is boring

;)

you'd know that too. cause you know who i am. and how i work. and what i've built. who are you again? oh yea, i only know you via the internet. and its mutual. so dont insinuate that you know anything about me, its foolish.

almost as foolish as a wooden pulley.

thx for clearing it up shay, and i guess i was wrong with the 9 and 10 t cogs not fitting over the shaft, they should. i also think if i had to i could make a 13 or 12 work on the common 11 pully, even if the arms are different.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account