FA50 Throttle Cable Needed Desperatly!

I am in need of a good usable throttle cable for a 1990 Suzuki FA50. I am tired of trying to rig it up to make this thing go.

And please, no one recommend bikebandit.com. I know they have the part but I do not have a credit or debit card to order from them so they are NOT an option for me.

Seriously, I need this part desperatly. This scooter is my only transportation and without this cable I am literally stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Re: FA50 Throttle Cable Needed Desperatly!

i might have one, i have a bit of moped/scooter parts but most of them i don't know what they belong to. i might have it i will look for it, a pic of it might be helpfull.

i bought a trailer full of parts from an old frield that was moving for 50 bucks and he had alot of usefull stuff.

The best I can do. The pic is off bikebandit and I drew on it to show how the ends are supposed to be shaped. I'd take a pic of what's currently on my scooter but it's a repair I was forced to make using a three speed bicycle shifter cable and the noodles off the ends of the old cable. It worked for awhile but it's busted all to pieces now.

1172724211_fa50throttlecable.jpg

You have the old cable?

Get a bike shop to match the barrel end where it hooks to the throttle then slip it into your old housing, cut to length and either silver solder a peice of copper / brass tubing on the end to form a bead or use a oxy/acy torch to melt the end of the cable into a metal ball.

Viola, new cable.

Rusty

Good idea there Rusty. I did something similar when I made one out of 3speed shifter cable. I filed the end for the throttle down so it would fit and rotate without binding. I then cut the noodles off the ends of the old cable (the cable housing itself was badly kinked & rusted as well as the original cable being frayed, rusted, and broke) and ducktaped them to the ends of the 3speed cable housing. I then run the cable thru and on the end JB welded a little metal barrel out of an electrial connector to it. It worked well enough until the barrel on the throttle end decided to snap on me. (Shifter cable is pretty scrawny compared regular throttle cable.) I reckon I'll have to do something similar again but this time with regular bicycle brake cable since it's heavier.

I will double check, but I am pretty sure I don't have one.

Sorry!

I got some parts off Kev awhile back but he didn't have a throttle cable. Anyone looking for other FA50 parts should definatly talk to him. He's a cool guy and definatly makes good on a deal. Top notch in my book!

Thank you Shannon. If you have the old throttle cable, send it into Themopedjunkyard.com. They will make you one from the old one.

Kev

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account