WTB: Moped, Scooter, Small Cycle...$500 or less

Here is the deal.

I live in Wiconsin, pretty much the shittest spot ever to find two wheeled vehicles for a decent price.

I am 18 years old, out of High School in June.

I want to get a Moped, Scooter, or Small Motorcycle. I plan to get my Motorcycle license, but I haven't signed up or anything, plus my parents really don't want me to get a cycle.

Anyways, I need something that will do 40 mph. So my dilemma is what can I do to achieve that, and the cheapest.

45 mph is even better, and I want to be safe. I don't need anything even close to 70 mph, as I will never take it on the interstate, but 45 mph would be great.

How much does cycle insurance cost in ratio to moped insurance? Do I technically need a motorcycle license to drive a 80 cc scooter?

Where are the best places to buy used ones. I have checked cycle trader, the local classifieds as well as Milwaukee Classifieds, craigslist, ebay...and I just can't find one.

I would really like to be under $300, as I have college coming up, but I will go up to $500 for a good deal.

Anything you can recommend? I don't care how it looks, as long as it runs and is pretty reliable. I have a motorized bike, so I sort of know how to do some repairs such as carb cleaning.

I am not qualified to do any major repairs, and I just want something that will run. My parents don't want me to get a cycle, but an 80 cc scooter, I could probably convince them of.

Thanks

Re: WTB: Moped, Scooter, Small Cycle...$500 or les

Jason Luther /

to me, over 35 mph on a moped just isnt safe. the brakes, suspension and other controls cant handle it, plus the motor will wear out much faster. so if you can keep it under 35-40 then a moped should do. $300-$500 should get you a nice one. i dont know about WI but in michigan you do not need a special license or insurance for a moped, just a $15 sticker every 3 years. a motorcycle with that small of an engine (50-100cc) is pretty rare and would cost more than your budget

I see 125 cc enduro's all the time for sale, granted they are a bit out of my budget. From the 1970's and 1980's. Sure they are sort of expensive...but they can be found.

What about scooters? Should I look into them? And yes...I need to do at least 35 mph...and I don't want to be at full throttle...so I think mopeds are out...except for maybe a Honda MB5 or something similar.

Found a 78 moby in Madison $300 - C-list

Jimmie carter Sr /

contact Don is is in wisc. i sent you his email also; JC<dongoods2@yahoo.com>

thanks... I emailed him.

Does he sell mopeds or what?

Thanks...

And what mods could be done to that Mobylette to make it go fast. Can you get certain exhaust systems? Sprockets? It says it needs carb work...I am assuming a cleaning.

chris talk to DON; he rebuilds and works on them; maybe he can set you up. i have 40 peds; but i am to far away; ok

I did...he said he will get back to me in a couple days and let me knows what he has...

Will he rip me off? Or will I get a pretty good deal?

I hope they would have some speed. Does he work for a company there or what?

I really appreciate you sending me his email.

Thanks,

Chris

NailheadRocketman /

I don't think he'll rip you off, he's pretty helpful.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account