FS non-running puch maxi

Ramsey Beyer /

hi! i have a 1977 puch maxi that isn't running. it was my illogical purchase of 2005. with no moped experience i decided 'oh, i'll just learn to fix it up.' well i chose a bad one to start with. coming in on 2007, and its still not running. i decided its finally time to give up. admittedly, i havent worked on it for about a year. but for a while i was really trying and even took it to a shop, but with my small budget they couldnt get it going for cheap. since labor is the expensive part. im sure someone with experience and time could get this going. the shop said it looked like it had been sitting for quite a while before i got it but they cleaned it out and got it running. it just didn't run over 15mph. now it doesn't run again. probably because i havent touched it in a year.

it has new hand levers, a new carb, and a new bullet performance pipe.

it's likely that some things are fixed up wrong since i was totally out of my league when trying to work on this. haha. i might try to get a moped again but i'll start with a running one this time. i learned a lot in the process but it wasn't enough! for now, i'm very content with my bicycle.

located in paw paw, michigan (49079), near kalamazoo. you must pick it up. i dont really have a way to get it around (which also made for hard times trying to get it fixed).

i'm hoping to get at least 200 for it (without the performance pipe), $250 with the pipe.

i have lots more pictures and close-ups if you want to see.

email me if interested! ramseybeyer@gmail.com

1167160781_moped2.jpg

Re: FS non-running puch maxi

explain to me why someone would want to pay over $200 for a nonrunning moped?

because it's a Puch .........

Too bad your not in Baltimore anymore like your profile says or else id be interested.

Ramsey Beyer /

i just figured that because it has a bunch of new parts and its most likely close to running. if thats unreasonable people will let me know. i'll change it to 'obo.' thanks.

Ramsey Beyer /

i am in baltimore most of the time. i just dont have a way to get it there since i dont have any large-ish vehicle.

Jason Luther /

$200 is fair for a puch, if the motor is in good shape. if i didnt have 3 non-runners in the garage and a wife that would divorce me if i brought another home, id snatch it up. wait until spring, you might get $300 if you can get it to halfway run (clean the carb)

Hey jason, u say youve got your wife on your back and three non runners, hey id be happy to help! Just let me buy one of em off your hands.

Jason Luther /

no way man, these are the last peds im going to be buying for a looong time, i may break something else on them just to work on them longer

Bump

get your stock exhaust back and reinstall it you may have over scavenged it..most peds run best stock...clean your fuel tank and petcock...good luck NEVER give up!

NailheadRocketman /

I can always use more Puch Maxis, many, many more. But then I'd be a very poor man with no way of taking girls out to dinner. And I suppose, I wouldn't seal the deal if they saw I had a whole moped junkyard in my backyard, which unfortunately is already coming along pretty well. Personally, I would offer $150 for a non-running bike. However, I have seen non-running bikes for $50. I bought my Motron, non-running, 99% complete with a clean gas tank for $60.

Paul

Cleats Onionpockets /

What exactly have you tried to do as far as fixing it? It looks to be in decent shape. There isn't rust anywhere that would matter to get it running. Beleive me, it's not as hard as you think to get these things running. Mine came to me from a junkyard with locked up wheels, engine, and transmission. It had sat for a decade in the rain and the gearbox was full of rust and water. I got it running agin within a month just on info the helpful people on this site gave me. I was my daily rider at 33 mph until the snow fell, now it's undergoing a winter upgrade. My point is, you shouldn't give up so easily. I know it's probably been frustrating as hell not having it run for two years, but it could still be a simple fix that you and your mechanic haven't thought of. I know there are people in the repair section of this site (myself included) that would be able to help you diagnose and correct your problem.

Its a Puch. Can't be a whole lot wrong with it. Surely you could find someone with moped experience to take a look at it for you.

Ramsey Beyer /

you see. i have gotten people to help. many many times. my last resort was taking it to the moped shop in kalamazoo, and they worked on it for a long time. in the end it was just out of my budget to keep pouring money into it. it only looks to be in good shape now because of all the work i did to it. let me see if i can find the before picture. ok.

what all did i do to it: unsiezed the rear wheel, de-rusted/kremed the gas tank, new fuel line, new spark plug, new spark cable, new hand levers, all new cables, new seat, cleaned the carb more than once, my friend ended up breaking something on it and ended up having to buy a new carb, lots of nuts and bolts and small parts, new tires, lots of advice from the repairs forum, took it to the shop where they said the engine was all gummy and they cleaned it all out. lots of tweaking with the timing. it got running but only went 15mph, then slowly went down to 10mph throughout a two weeks period. and by this point, i had just spent too much money. and went away to college. didn't see the point of hauling it 600 miles if it didnt run. and thats when it sat for a year. and now it doesnt run again. which i expected. all in all, im mostly just very frustrated with it and think i should start easier. now that i already started way out of my league and spent too much money.

1167325105_oldpuch.jpg

$200 is a fair price considering the work and new parts, some people think just cause it's not running means you shjould give it away so they can fix it in 5 minutes and resale for 3 times the amount. i'd stick it on ebay and see what you can get, or at lest part it out on the board before i'd take a sucker deal

If he puts it on ebay he will get $75-$100 because of the homemade looking paint job, it was actually worth more with the original paint and decals. The fact that the tank was kreemed turns me off to some extent from what I have heard about the stuff peeling off.

Welcome to the world of mopeds, just like cars and boats you never get your money back out again if you splurge for new parts. I bought a fixer upper Puch for $30, I have put almost twice that out for parts, and it still isn't on the road, I would be lucky to get $50 for it as it sits. The reality is that Puch Maxis are so common that a buyer can shop around for best condition and price, especially on the single speed types.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Ramsey, did you ever try cleaning or replacing the chain? That would be one of the BIG speed robbing problems. What probably happened when they got it to run at 15 mph was that they cleaned the chain as best they could, but then over the next two weeks it went back to it's old rusty self. This probably is what killed your speed more than anything else.

Ramsey Beyer /

yep. and she by the way.. not that it matters.

Whoops, sorry. Didn't check. You're an anomaly in these here parts. Good luck with the sale. Cute dog, by the way.

« Go to Topic — end of thread