East coast weather!

60 degrees on December 14th! There may be no need to winterize the fleet this year.

Re: East coast weather!

Let us both hope so, when I finally am up and running my Tomos is my ride for sure. I'm here to tell ya the 15 deg. day we had last week was no treat on the Bianchi, the wind was definatly more of a factor then the cold. I'm still seeking some decent snow tires for my ped. Being a New Englander gives us some interesting weather challenges for sure...David

don't be too ecstatic about pleasant winter weather, we'll pay for it next riding season with unbearably humid and uncomfortable conditions

Etheran St.james /

Not just the east coast. I'm walking around outside today with a t-shirt on, in Indiana. We're probably about the same latitude though (44ish)

I would imaging global warming is affecting the entire planet....

It's kinda nice....but in a doomsday sort of a way.

I don't understand why anyone really complains about the weather.....All it is, is real...that's it...

I like it all (as trying as that position can be to maintain). Hot, cold, wet, dry.

So we could choose to be ecstatic about pleasant winter weather AND hot summer weather.

(you live in canada maxmagnum, how "unbearably humid and uncomfortable" could it possible get up there?)

What's up eastcoasters,, we need to plan a spring ride..

Camping with the Merry Cranksters this spring...stay tuned for details

sounds good, keep noshori informed...

well in winter time and summertime Ottawa is directly in between a transition zone of three air masses, the continental arctic, maritime tropical, and continental polar (you can see the transition in our soil and our mix of deciduous and alpine forest cover). midlatitude cyclones are generated from east to west throughout the year as a result of these colliding air focrces and produces a stationary front along the great lakes area which means high humidity, high precipitation, and increased longwave radiation (contributes to the greenhouse effect). Ottawa is victim to urban sprawl and has only small bodies of water with which to soak up incoming radiation so it creates an urban "heat island" effect and extreme seasonal temperatures, by extreme i mean constantly variable. this will get awful technical awful fast if I keep writing so I'll have to stop here. if you want to experience Ottawa wierdness you'd have to visit here, one day it will be +10 degrees Celcius outside and not a cloud in the sky and the same afternoon will dump hail and snow half a foot high. we got murdered this summer, +45 degrees Celcius it was crazy. we haven't seen any seasonal snowfalls as of yet and it's almost January.....very weird.

yeah im in for it too i have a good running ped this time so i wont be on a scooter

Etheran St.james /

Thank You MaxMagnum for the information. I did not previously know any of that about Ottawa. But you helped me realize that I do not know as much about local weather patterns as I would like to. I am not quick with the celsius numbers but will dig deeper into the GreatLakes region weather this eve.

I think perhaps my definition of humid, unbearable, and uncomfortable are particularly less specific and less often applied than yours are.

Ottawa was never really meant to be a city of this size, it was a small military outpost initially intended to police the St.Laurent River leading to the great lakes. I personally think that geographically and environmentally speaking Ottawa is a terrible location for a city this size, the Canadian shield runs right through it which means that extensive tunneling for subways is next to impossible (and cannot be done because the only areas that can be used for any expensive tunneling is underground parking space or government hideout) or soil is subject to extreme freeze-thaw cycles which is good for our trees but bad for the roads and pipelines, capital city is filthy rich so they constantly repairing certain roads at least twice a year. and get this: old fashioned building regulations dictate that no building shall summit the height of the Parliament Buildings. well yeah in 1940 the Parliament Buildings might have seemed like a skyscraper but in 2006 is now the size of a medium-sized apartment building, as a result housing in Ottawa is privy to single family homes and housing projects (that the city doesn't take care of) and tiny 15 storey apartment buildings. Ergo, Ottawa continues to fan out and out and out further contributing to urban sprawl and that 'heat island effect', which further contributes to increased demand for energy, compouding our problems even more. Sorry if I seem like i'm on a rant here but I _do_ have an exam on this very issue coming up on Monday and this is good practice! I've considered moving from this pit for some time now but it does grow on you, nowhere else can you experience such loveable variability and frustration at the same time!

Etheran St.james /

I love this kind of analysis of one's own environment, and learning about other places in general. I don't mind reading alot, so I thank you. I may get up there one of these days, but NewFoundland is higher on my canadian places to visit list, and may stay there given your review.

hello there to all i live on the east coast 67 degrees today 15 dec 2006. rode my 1977 Batavus featherlite,and my 1983 Suzie,also my 81 honda 70cc as well as my 81 Yamaha 50 ,and tommorrow we will be riding about 15 peds,Hondas,jc Penny,Suxi,Yamaha,Puch, and more. i have 39 Mopeds now. Sold 1 of the 67 Allstates to my buddy in WI. Merry Christmass to all.Jimmie in Richlands NC

1166236014_whizzermoped.jpg

hey that wizzer is pretty cool! where did you buy it?

yeah this weather is very odd. winterizing hasnt even crossed my mind.

Although it's not an early spring ride, we will be having Moped Madness in Hershey again, probably on Saturday June 2nd. I will post an updated event flyer on <www.MopedCentral.com> sometime soon.

NailheadRocketman /

What are we buying and what are we selling?

hello as to the whizzer; i purchased 2 of them from California,had them shipped in, they will do 25+ mph and about 160 miles a gallon,2 stroke 25;;to 1 mix,49cc 7 speed bike 3 speed motor I paid 675.00 each including shipping. if youd like one it would be 675.00 and shipping. thanks jimmie carter

1166486240_cross_country_moped.jpg

oops sorry i mixed up my Pacific model on the mileage its about 55 miles per tank on the wizzer and runs about 33 mph. sorry jimmie carter here is Pic of my 48cc Pacific motorized Moped. its selling for 900.00 with 6 month warranty.( i have light kits for all the Motorized and whizzer models.

1166486499_f4c2_1pacificmotorized_2005.jpg

camping with the merry cranksters and noshori!!

count me in!

« Go to Topic — end of thread