1981 Vespa Si?

What would an '81 Si go for when all it needs is a right side cover and a few cables? Good paint, no rust. Just trying to get an idea of the resale value here.

Re: 1981 Vespa Si?

Maitland Of the Loin /

In my experience base it around your current market.

Look at craigslist in your area and see what peds are going for and in what condition.

generally if you arent on the west coast you could probably get around 400 as an average price

Expect 2-300 bucks for an running bike that needs work.

I would pay about 275 for a running, but still mothballed ped. I only got 200 for my Motron which had a gummed up carb. the carburetor was going to be rebuilt, but that odd throttle mechanism and the risk of springs shooting out on the floor hampered that, but i know a little elbow grease would have gotten her going in an hour. Funny thing is, before i restored part of it and serviced the transmission, i only paid 60 bucks for it.

Paul

Well, all it needs is the right side cover, and a tail light cover. There's some dirt in the tank, but that's an easy fix, and the pedal arms a little bent, but I can straighten them too. Once I get these few small repairs done and give it a bath, it'll be like it's new.

It's a really well kept bike.

It is my opinion that the Si is one of the more distinctive mopeds around, primarily due to the fact that it does not have rear shocks, and has a cleaner look. It has what is referred to as "unilever" suspension and all the rear weight sits on that little button behind the motor. They are good city bikes, but your fanny will be sore to ride it much on the road.

Huh? The rear suspension works fine on the Si. It's not like it's rigid.

Yeah, I was wondering about that unilever deal. The only thing I don't really like is the handlebars. They're kinda... straight. It's alright once you ride it for a while, but it feels awkward at first. I was really surprised by this bike. It fired right up and went 25 up hill. I haven't even decarbonized it yet!

Keep it, man, and get a ciao and transfer the sweet mags and variator over to it and make a racer. That's what Sis are for. Making sweet Ciaos.

If I (by some slim chance) find a Ciao in good shape for sale somewhere close, I'll buy it. Otherwise, this Si will get cleaned up and possibly tuned out. Which reminds me, anybody know any good performance pipes I could get for this thing? I plan on putting a bigger carb on there anyhow. Maybe 13.13

My si is much smoother than my grande, and I would consider the grande a very comfortable bike.

The si's fork's are thick and bulletproof. The cantilever suspension is smooth, light, and responsive. The cantilever suspension consists of a pivot right above the engine and a concealed spring about halfway back from the drive train. The ciao has no rear suspension and the fork looks really sweet, but are not that good. Of all the mopeds I've seen, the si's have the best suspension IMO.

« Go to Topic — end of thread