anyone have this?

this part broke on my avanti mont,does anybody know what its called or how to get one?please help

1159488862_image007.jpg

Re: anyone have this?

???????????

from what i see it can either be lobes that are used to lift the exhaust and intake valves on the engine. But trhats only if it is a 4 stroke engine. It could be the clamps that grasp the crank shaft when using a pull start recoil. Thats about all i could think it would be.

That is a freewheel or oneway clutch . Possibly a starter clutch but usually those have a retract mechanism. How about a little more info like where it's located or why you suspect it's broken.

amazing,ken your correct.hers a pic of where it fits.yes it is very much like a starter clutch.it fits over the pedal shaft,then inside what some would call the ratchet gear.the reason its broken is because the two flaps that spin out.one is fine- the other has a lip that holds one side of the flap in allowing the spring to push the other side out.this lip is broken.i dont have a better pic right now,if you look really close you can see one corner looks chipped.well it is.this is from a 2001 avanti mont.im thinking some late model garellis had this,but not sure.its the only thing keeping this moped lover from riding.

1159739529_image005.jpg

OK after flipping back and forth for a while I can pretty much see the chipped corner. First of all seems like there isn't much surface contact if it chipped, but that's besides the point. If the pawl is steel not potmetal or something weird and you positively can't find a replacement (probably have to buy the whole assembly anyway) I'd hit the edge of the pawl with a wirewelder to build it up and immediately water quench it to temper it back,then grind it back square to the correct dimension.(obviously remove the pawl from the housing before welding) I've done stuff like this before on Austin Healys and a Lotus Seven before , on certain parts smaller than what you have so I know it can be done just a lot of patience required. Hit the web . If it's just not posible to replace due to availability - check out a welding shop . All is not lost.

Oh just thought of something wild . That sure looks a heck of a lot like a Tecumseh or Poulan lawnmower pawl in which case about $10

« Go to Topic — end of thread