General Top Tank

Can someone give me the lowdown on a General top tank? Not sure of the year, but was just curious about the quality of these guys, as I don't know anyone who rides one.

Re: General Top Tank

i love them, oes it have a minarelli or sachs engine?

Good bike, if it has the minarelli you can make the bike very fast. Sachs are hard to get a good kit for. I have a couple of each including the sachs version with the big brake hubs.

We currently have a 1985 General 5-star in the shop. It's next on our list of bikes to overhaul, and it's getting completely rebuilt from the frame up. The 5-star (top tank) has 17" spoked rims, and a 50 mph speedo. Nate's got plans to put a 86cc kit on this bike with an enlarged carb and maybe a Mamba performance pipe. I don't doubt it could easily top out that 50 mph speedo. As for power, the top tank Generals are 2-speeds which allows for easy hill climbing in first gear. Overall, the General 5-star is a sweet bike with a lot of potential.

they are one speeds.

They usually have Minarellis on it, and if you are looking at craigslist, this one does too.

There was a general with a 2 speed but I have yet to see one outside of the bike shop 20 years ago. They called it a C2. I have an 86cc on one of mine with a 21mm carb and the snail exhaust. I also have 2 with the sachs but the minarelli stock motor will out run the sachs anyday.

I just sold one, and kind of wish i didn;t. REALLY nice bike. Good top end, and handles and feels nice.

« Go to Topic — end of thread