WANTED: 19" Sears Allstate (Puch) Moped Frt.W

I am looking for a 19" Sears Allstate (Puch) Moped front wheel in very good condition. Slight pitting is fine but NO rust. Anybody have one? THANKS!

Re: WANTED: 19" Sears Allstate (Puch) Moped F

Ha, mine are all rusty. Especially the inside. I put a wire brush on the drill and _kind_ polished it, but it's still abundant. So far, I've never had a flat, or had to add air.

I forgot to tell you earlier that I run Amsoil synthetic at 50 to 1. That's about 2 and a half oz.'s to a gallon. I use about 3, though.

You will want that rubber insert that goes inside the rim under the inner tube. Motor West sent them free when I bought tires and tubes.

Sadly, you may have a hard time finding wheels for these.

---_DeeZy_

thanks deezy.......mine is very rusty I tried a wire wheel, didn't work to well, the back wheel isn't too bad. Just thought someone might have one. Did you get the email I sent you with the ebay listing for the sears moped?

I did.

Insane price!

That allste moped on ebay is not a 58. 54-58 were a solid red color. In 59 they went to cream and red. Looks very rough.

There's alot of contrivercial photos and pamphlets and such.

I'd like to see a book or something that's been around awhile.

Do you have anything?

Mine's supposed to be a '58. I've also seen old adverisements for 1957 that had the "new two tone".

I know there's alot of red and white ones. When did they go to blue and white? I've seen one on ebay advertised a 1961, I thought, that was blue & white, originally.

I sure wish there was more out there on decent history for these bikes.

---_DeeZy_

mike...thats what I thought also, but when I had Motor West run my vin# it was listed as a 1955 and I have a cream tank. My bike is all orignal, been stored for over 40+ yrs. The vin is 6000582. The 1958 ebay vin is 6465055.Deezy and I have been talking about this same subject, doesn't make sense. Thanks!

allstat nos are> 54-56>810-94000 57-58 > 810-94001 Cream and red came out in 1959. ALL made prior to that were solid red. Were talkind mopeds here, not to get confused with there scooters.

this is my model# 810.94011 and 6000582 vin#, what year is it? thanks

Re: WANTED: 19

It is a 60s model for sure Terry. Im guessing mid 60s. What color is it. Do you have pics?

Would ya know about these then?

810. 94 000

810. 94 001

810. 94 010

I have two of the first,

my brother has one of the second,

and I, one of the third.

Thanks....... and where is this information?

I've been looking for it for years. Or is it just that you were _there_?

Thanks again,

---_DeeZy_

Where are you getting your info? don't let color decide the year. numbers don't lie. are you guessing or do you know for sure?I have the owners manual for the 810.94000 series mopeds and it says: sears reserves the right to alter design and finish without pervious notice. I take that to mean any color pattern for what ever year they wanted. In the 50's Puch made blue and white as well all white,all red and red and cream. So what is the correct date go by the numbers, I guess.

It takes a lot of explaining and researce that would be difficult and long to sort out here. You are not correct in the colors, All models sold prior to 1959 were soild red. That is fact. In 1959 they went 2 tone,cream and red. In 1961 blue and white were introduced. Model nunbers represent the year RANGE they were sold. Meaning 810-94000 were sold from 1954-1956 810-94001 were sold between 1957-1958. As the sell years increase, so do the last 2 digits of the model number. That is a fact. I have been to numerous National shows and have spoke to major Allstate moped collecters at length about this very subject. Im talking about guys who have more than 75 different models here. If you want to call me i think i can explain this in much simpler terms. It gets confusing but when you consider how puch operated with sears it becomes more easy to understand. You will never see an original cream and red bike with an 810-94000 or 810-94001 model number. Im not trying to be a knowitall type, but considering i did 5 years of research i know a little bit. Thats why i told you to call me in the first place. Another hard fact> you will see very few allstate mopeds at National shows, and near all of them are in very rough condition. Mostly for parts, if you can find anything good on them. And yes, the owners usually want big money for good parts because they are scarce.

thanks Mike, I do understand what you are saying. I will call.

Jeff

I've seen ones with numbers like

012 at the end. I also noticed tjhat these had things like long seats, or fender skirts, or tool boxes on the side.

What's that about?

There was a lot of accessories you could buy and have them installed by sears or install them yourself for that matter. Examples> Windshield with chrome plated trim, part no. 28G-07551 Front Foot Shield or Fairing> 28GMT9400 Saddle baskets> 28G-7553 and on and on. You could get tool kits, Light mounted on the front fender or an emblem, Mine has the original twistie blue and white cable covers, also an add on from sears as new. I also had the light reflector mounted on the front fender, though i removed it. Same deal with the scooters. Some guys bought scooter accessories and fit them on mopeds. Some guys painted older models to make them appear newer. Some if not most bought carry over models from year to year but still sold as new, regardless of color.Thus, you could have bought a carry over solid red in 1959 or even 1960. Sales of the allstate mopeds were not great, therefore many bikes were left over from year to year. Same with the accesseories. When you took them back for service to sears, you did not nessisarly get the exact same part the bike came with. Example> Handgrips, tires, pedals etc. That is why many guys are totally confused over the allstates. Actually it came down to convieience for sears. Thay sold what they had, when they had it. Sadly, they did not live well, most were beat on by youngsters and left in the garage to be trashed out at some point in time. I will try soon to get some great pics of mine and post them.Its as close to new as you will get, and all original. But it is a very expensive and rare bike. It can go 40mph. with my fat ass on it and its 100% stock. And it is a 1958! I only ride it apprx 5 miles per year. Rest of the time it stays inside the house.

Man, Mike!!

You ARE a walking book of information!

That's some really neat things to know. I've been wondering about alot of that, and even suggested the "carry-over" theory, on years to Jeff.

It makes tons of sense. I wonder what kinda sheet or book Matt has at Motor West, and why it would be so misleading. I've always had a weird feeling about what he told me. He's pretty quick with alot of that _knowledge_, but however must be wrong with his little list or something.

So really one number could be good for two years then? What a weirdness, but I can understand that. So my 000's could be a 54 or 55?

My 010's probably 61 then, huh? Holy crap. I'm a little saddened about all the people I've been telling it's a 58.

Man, I am interested in anything you ever want to share about these bikes! I have had my first one for about ten years now. My other ones just followed, and this summer we found a really nice 001 dark solid red in extremely great shape. All the chrome's like new. The wheels! WOW! But, his shifter cable's bad, so off to Rinky we go, but we got to make a decent order first, I feel. So more of "this winter" kinda time.

Thanks alot for sharing all this. I appreciate it very much, and only hope to see some more. Oh.... were that many or _any_ 3 speed mopeds, or were there a year that that started?

---_DeeZy_

1157604733_moped_in_the_snowies.jpg

I meant to change back that joke name....

Sorry.

That is a true beauty, one of the best i have seen! Thanks for the comments, but in all honesty i was lucky to talk to very knoldgeable collectors who owned a LOT of the allstate peds. Even those guy dont bring there bikes out to the National shows. I can pass on another bit of interesting info here> When sears decided to drop the Puch peds in late 67-early 68, most stores have plenty of them left over and sales were poor. They offered the leftovers to employees at Sears for a mere $100.00 a piece! That is a fact. Dont we wish we could have got a few of those and stored them in a nice warm dry place!! Matt at Motor West knows a lot about Puchs in general, but i believe he specializes more in the motorcycle restoration end of the business. He has told me it gets confusing with the allstates peds, as i was just scratching the surface here with my info. There was a color timeline chart that i had seen some years ago for the sears peds, wish i had it so i could post it here. Sears sold a lot if not most carryover models, but they could NEVER sell carryunder models, thats why you cannot have a 54-58 two tone cream and red one. But you may see a solid red one sold in 1960. That is the part throws many guys off about the colors. Also, some of the solid red bikes were two toned by their owners, while vise versa by others. If they did a good job, who would ever know right? Give me a call, i like to talk about the allstates. Thanks, Mike 440-632-0823 in Ohio

Hey Mike , thanks for all the info on the Sears peds. I guess mine must be between 1961 and 1963 and thats ok with me. Where in Ohio are you? Pictures of my bike are coming soon. Jeff

nice name Deezy,YINOHIEM THE FASTESSSS where did that come from? Jeff

You guys should put this info in to the moped WIKI. This info is too valuable to just get thrown in to the internet abyss. Someday, I too, will own an Allstate moped. I have a 250, but I want a moped badly.

I live in middlefield, the amish town near burton or chardon. Where are you located? In all truth There is very little difference between a 54 and a 63 in reality. A few small things here and there, like taillight, no biggie. Also, there were very few 54s sold in 54, most were carried over to 55-56-57 and still sold as new. If you want to see mine, no problem. I have 7 othere bikes and a few are vintage collectors stuff. Give me a ring. Thanks, Mike

Well, mine is for sale but it would be mainly for a serious collector rather than a daily rider. Its quite expensive, Matt at Motor West placed the price for my bike at $3,500, and possibly more. An overrestored model sold for $4,000 back in 2003. Mine is original and does go up in value every year, so its more like a collectors investment. Provided you keep it in prestine shape. If you want to see it let me know. It will knock your socks off. Plus i have an ohio title as well, rare for those peds. 440-632-0823 Mike

Mike....... I am very familiar with Burton I have been to the antique mart at the fairgrounds. I live in Barberton. I'm glad we have communicated on these mopeds, I've learned alot! And thanks to Deezy I've been able to get a couple of parts form Motor West. Hey you guys, my moped is RUNNING and I rode it today for the first time after 40 yrs. of storage. SOOO COOL. Brought back some great memories.

You feel like a kid again! They are a lot more fun to ride than a motorcycle also. Barberton is about 45 minutes from me. Middlefield is 7 miles from the burton fairgrounds. From where you are, you could practically ride it here. Those allstate peds can go up hills with no problem. They are fast, once you shift into 2nd gear. Where did you get it, in Ohio? What color is it? Was that yours in the pic yesterday? It is supposed to get at least 150mpg, so you no longer have to worry about gas prices. I would like to see it.

I will post a picture in a couple of days. It's cream and red all original 821 miles, stored forever , found it in Cleveland. Took me awhile to clean it up, but it's real nice. You, Deezy and myself have been discussing these bikes for last week. With what you have told me I am pretty sure it's a 61-63. These old bikes are pretty fast, had it up to 36 mph today. I was surprised.

One big thing i did not mention yet, many allstate peds are actually a bike made from several parts bikes in rough condition. They may be made from any number of year bikes and painted whatever color the owner chooses. Then they say its an original bike from 1957 or 1956. Get what im saying? I know several guys in Ohio that do that, and its a common practice for other bikes as well. Therfore you can have different colors not matching model nos. with various extras from different years, so it can confuse you if you are not aware of what is going on.

With 800 miles its not even broke in yet. Yes, they are very fast, especially when you consider they are more than 40 years old. Are you going to do a full restore on it? That can be difficult and costly. My allstate also came from cleveland. Actually from a friends family that bought it new. So i know the entire history of it. Sometimes i wish it wasnt in as good of condition as it is, so i can ride it every day. Better to keep it in fair condition really, its more fun to ride them. I have a 1973 CB 750 honda that is in museum condition, cant ride that either, just 2 good. Im going to sell that bike also. Im basically breaking up my collection, get down to 2 or 3 bikes at most.

Jis made it up as a joke.