Wanted: Clutch to fit ~4" Diam drum

my garelli clutch broke and i'm looking for something a little more durable and reliable. diameter needs to be a little under 4 inches.

thank you,

-chad

Re: Wanted: Clutch to fit ~4" Diam drum

Please give some info and finish one post before starting another. You never tell us if your clutch bands are actually broken, components worn, etc.

You will never find an alternative that fits into the star shaped inner piece unless you injection mould them out of uerothane yourself. No one makes an alternative clutch body either.

i guess components are worn, i was just going to try to find one that i can bolt in the middle in place of the star-shaped piece. a more generic one with clutch arms and springs and such

I find it almost impossible to believe that you've tried 3 clutch bands now, and the thing will not engage and take off. I would actually LIKE IT if they were a little worn, because it should rev up more, then take off a little snappier.

If you are at the point where the thing revs up, tries to go forward and never quite fully engages, I would try some ATF instead of 30 weight oil in the clutch. The rubber will swell up more. I've seen 2-speed Garellis messed up by ATF, then the thing will not idle and also shift into high too quickly. I personally think something else is going on.

After reassembling, you need to make sure the clutch drum will freewheel around the rubber ring band before you put the cover back on. Do this by turning the rear wheel forward while on the stand. If you use an impact driver too aggressively, you will actually tighten the drum down because you smash the inner star-shaped washer onto the grooves on the shaft too far. Then you need to resurface the gear on the back of the drum, or resurface the star washer to be flat on the back side. Then there should be enough clearance again for it to spin when the retaining nut is tight.

i have tightened the cable all the way, and even clamped down the clutch arm as far as it can go, and i can't get it to turn at all. every 3rd or 4th rotation of the pedals, the flywheel will turn about a third rotation or so. i didnt always have the cable that tight, i had it just barely tight enough so it would engage and then one day it was like this. i can feel the pressure on the clutch lever when i pull it in, but it doesnt seem to catch on the drum. the clutch drum spins fine, i have everything torqued to garelli's recommended settings.

OK, so you are having a problem engaging it enough to start. It's probably not getting enough pressure on the starter plate to push the clutch band tight into the drum.

Is the little cam piece inside the cover worn where it contacts the starter plate nipple? You can get it to work if this is the case. It sounds like you will need to adjust your cable length shorter or get a replacement cable. I usually get a narp (little barrel clamp you slide the wire through then screw it tight) and put it onto the end that connects through the engaging lever. You can make a new one from a bicycle brake cable.

i'd like to buy a new(old) clutch drum for a garelli, anyone have one for cheap?

thanks,

-chad

« Go to Topic — end of thread