Testing Waters: 1986 Garelli Monza GT in PA *$225*

Alright, so here goes. I buy mopeds fairly frequently, then come across another bike, and have to make a sacrifice.

I just bought this '86 Garelli Monza GT from a friend who has a whole stable of them. I was intrigued by the racy styling and relative obscurity of this bike.

I can describe this bike fairly easily. It runs perfect!! No hiccups. Large-finned Garelli TigerCross motor with Dellorto SHA 14.12, will do a solid 35 mph for me all day long, with good take-off as well. Brakes are tight, tires have good tread, lights all work. Has high/low beams (with working indicators on dashboard).

Cosmetics are the downside on this bike. Garelli lettering and decals on this bike are flaking and peeling, and paint has scratches. Speedo housing was cracked, so it was removed.

If you want a bike that will run forever for you and be reliable (I took this on a 50 mile round trip last evening), this is your ticket.

The reason I'm selling is I have an opportunity on both an Allstate and a Honda motorcycle.

$225, in Lebanon, PA, no shipping, pick-up only. Thanks.

Re: Testing Waters: 1986 Garelli Monza GT in PA *$

Will you ship???

Interested

Thanks

Jim

come on ...

ship it to me!

*obviously i'd pay for the shipping

Kris

Sorry, I have no experience with crating up and shipping bikes, so I'd like to do pick-up only.

o sorry just saw that. Too bad thats a killer deal. Sold a beat garelli in way bad condition for more once. Man wish I lived in PA. Could I pay you to drive it here??? Well thats kinda far.

REALLY LIKE THAT THING!!! Saw it in your pro after you posted something somewhere and was like...WOW!!!!! Now for 225! Man I'd go 350 if you shipped it. would only have to take off the wheels and wrap it really good with protective coating. So if you change your mind...greatdane21792@hotmail.com

Verry interested!

if you don't want to, would you ask your friend if he'd ship another one of his?

Cmon, I'm going to give you more than it will cost to ship. Pa isn't so far from mass and it would have been 80 to ship a variant from ohio.

Ok, I guess I can consider shipping. What shipping service did you get the $80 quote from? If it's as simple as taking the wheels off, draining the gas, and bubble-wrapping the frame, then I could do it for you.

yes it would be dhl

if your going to ship it you'll have to make sure you wrap the tank and all really good. don't want unnecesary damage to it.

ok well I bpught a batavus yesterday and there was a lot the seller didn't tell me. So every thing BAD please tell me. don't worry I still like it I just want to know How much I'll eed to fix

I mean when starting will I have to pedal it for 5 min or will it usually start right up??? Just tell me all you can.

Ok. Well, honestly, there's nothing you'll need to fix to ride this bike. It idles smooth and runs good. It has never, ever died on me while riding. It starts on the first or second kick from a cold start, and always on the first after it's warmed up. The brakes are adjusted and stop it well, the tires have good tread and hold air. It has an aftermarket petcock and inline fuel filter. The issues on this bike are purely cosmetic. From the picture, 10 feet away, it looks good. And, believe me, it is a cool looking bike. But, the paint has scratches, the decals are beat up and peeling, the fairing and bodywork have minor cracks, and the seat has two tears in it. So, if you want to get replacement stickers, or paint this bike, that would make it top of the line. If you just want a reliable rider with a cool look, nothing needs to be done.

ok well are you willing to ship??? Never seen those decals before so I dunno about that. Will you take money order 325??? counting my money stack and thats about all I got. I may be able to get 25 but I really have no idea where those decals can be found... Hmmmmm

Ok well if you will ship I will go 325

Yea I will go 325 but I'llhave to think about 350 because I usually don't spend this much on amoped I just have a feeling about this one. Really like garelli mopeds

does this thing have oil injection? if so would u be able to meet halfway between montville nj and where u are?

Re: Ok well if you will ship I will go 325

Yeah, this is a pretty rare Garelli, and I thought it had some neat touches; the large fins on the motor make it look much larger than your average 49cc moped engine, and the speedo on this bike (although non-fuctional) reads to 100 km/h.

$325 shipped sounds reasonable. I will start my research tomorrow at a local shipping business, and see what I can come up with.

Bike does not have oil injection, and I'm not sure why that would be a selling point. Oil injection on vintage mopeds has often been found to be faulty, and many people disable theirs and use pre-mix.

My dad has a dhl account. So actualy I can send out about 260 for you to box it up and then charge the rest to our account. When you give me the ok, I'll get them to come pick it up... Sound good? I'll go to the post office tomorrow if thats the case. Are we good???

My dad has a dhl account. So actualy I can send out about 260 for you to box it up and then charge the rest to our account. When you give me the ok, I’ll get them to come pick it up… Sound good? I’ll go to the post office tomorrow if thats the case. Are we good???

Sorry bout the change in plan but this would be a little easier. That way all you have to do is box it and I can get this show on the road asap

cuz im tryin to find my aunt an way to beat gas prices and she doesnt want to premix...but im still interested in the bike for myself...would u be willing to drive at all?

Alright, so basically you will provide DHL with my address, and they will come to my residence and pick up the package?

This sounds fairly straightforward. What I'll do is take the wheels off ahead of time, and scout out a proper box and packing materials.

I'm going to wait until I receive your money order to actually buy the shipping materials; I don't want to buy them for nothing. As soon as I get the M/O, I'll pick-up the materials, pack it the same day, and then you can schedule a pick-up time.

sry, ment to post under steve's

Steve did you buy that from rob?

ok that sound good. So I'll get 260 on it's way tomorrow and (need your address and full name) and then you can go ahead and do what you gotta do. I usually get boxes free at appliance stores and then wrap the cosmetics really good in bubble wrap, peanuts, and or newspaper. The morew the merrier! So whats your phone number? Would like to call you tomorrow if thats ok, when can I call? probrably 1 ish?

Thanks

Jim

Yes I did. Thankfully he lives fairly close by.

LUCKY

hey Lucky look i'm sorry about what happened. I was just upset because I was really pumped to fianally get a derbi. No hard feelings???

Re: LUCKY

ok that sound good. So I’ll get 260 on it’s way tomorrow and (need your address and full name) and then you can go ahead and do what you gotta do. I usually get boxes free at appliance stores and then wrap the cosmetics really good in bubble wrap, peanuts, and or newspaper. The morew the merrier! So whats your phone number? Would like to call you tomorrow if thats ok, when can I call? probrably 1 ish?

Thanks

Jim

I work 11-7 tomorrow. I'm obviously up now, if you want to give me a call. Do you have an e-mail address where I can send my full name and address, along with my phone number?

greatdane21792@hotmail.com

I can call now??? I will when I get ur number

aw man...enjoy jim...i rly like this...if u ever sell it (he says this doubtfully) would u let me know? i'd buy it instantly

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account