How much should I pay for a Motobecane Moby?

Motobecane Master /

I've been looking for a street legal moped for some time and a friend's dad just happens to have a Motobecane Moby sitting around that he doesn't want anymore.

I don't really know what to offer for it. It's from 1980. Everything works fine, there's some minor rust from it being in his barn for a while, and it has close to 1000 miles on it. The headlight and brakelight work. He also still has the title for it.

I checked ebay listings and one sold a week ago for 760 dollars but it was practically brand new with 250 miles on it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, while I'm here. I'm planning on moving to the city in about a half a year. Does anyone from NYC know anything about insuring a moped in the city and how useful it would be to have one. If I'm just going to end up getting killed on it I may not want to bring it with me.

Re: How much should I pay for a Motobecane Moby?

If it's running well, and the rust is light (and not inside the gas tank), I would say $250 or more would be fair... but forget about fair, you want it for as cheap as possible. I got mine in what sounds like similar condition for $150; other people have found them in better condition for less. If you don't think it will hurt your relationship with your friend and his dad, you might try opening at $100 and work up.

From what I've seen, mileage and age aren't all that relevant. A 1975 bike with 4000 miles but was stored in a garage is worth way more than an '85 bike with 100 miles that's been in the rain. It's all about condition.

As for riding in the city, I think it's the ideal place for a moped. I live in Pittsburgh and commute to work everyday on mine, and usually don't have trouble keeping up with traffic because of traffic lights, buses making frequent stops, etc. It's the wide open rural & suburbian blacktop roads where people are going to run over you at 60mph.

There is a branch of the Moped Army, Mission 23, in NYC... look them up in the "Members" section.

That 760.00 was the highest paid for motobecane in as long as I can remember on ebay prior to that it was 676.00. I bought three in the last four months for 525.00 425.00 and 520.00 all were 50V with 30mph carb

moby-aholic?

much?

motobecane power!

If it starts easy, runs well, and is in the shape you say it is

offer him a couple hundred for it and work from there. That is if you have a couple hundred, heh.

I would pay as much as 400 prolly but thats just me. Price depends on area alot.

Also the fact that it is titled is a plus. Although im not sure about NY laws.

Motobecane Master /

I'm thinking I'll ask him what he wants for it first and see what he says. He certainly doesn't need the money and I know him really well but I also wouldn't want to leave him thinking I ripped him off. Based on what's been said here I think around 300 or so would be a reasonable cap for my wallet.

He won a pair of these things like ten years ago in some raffle and never had much use for both. He doesn't use either but I think he wants to keep one.

Now the real question is red Moby, or blue?

I just paid $325 for my mobylette. I probably could of gotten $300 but he was a college kid and looked like he needed the money. It's also impossible to find used mopeds around my area and i had been looking for awhile so I was happy to pay $325.

« Go to Topic — end of thread