register moped no paperwork

Issara Willenskomer /

i purchased a 1979 vespa piaggo grande last year that was not in running condition. it had no paperwork, but i ran the plates and it wasn't stolen (at least the plates weren't stolen). i just got it running and called up the DOL to register it and they basically told me i was fucked. without paperwork, i'm stuck in this 3 year (yes, 3 YEARS!) limbo period where i can't own the bike. i heard a rumor about some loophole about selling the bike over state lines which lets you avoid this hassle.. does anybody know about this?

thanks for your help..

issara

Re: register moped no paperwork

If you know some one in MI, they could do a bill of sale from you to the DMV, and get a registration, but not a title, then trans fer the regitration back to you.

Issara Willenskomer /

that's interesting..

is that just in the state of MI?

get a title made

Issara Willenskomer /

how? shit.. i just called up a different DOL just to see if they were messing with me.. it's crazy.. if you have no title, you're pretty much screwed..

now i've got to track down the person who owned it last in california..

fat chance..

this sucks..

hmmmmm..

call a title company and have them get you a new one?

In Mi, u just need a registration, no insurence no helmet, reg drivers liscense, or if 14 to driving age, just a moped liscense, no hassle. Don't know about any other state.

Issara Willenskomer /

that's cool..

one thing that's important, though is the title..

do you need that or do they issue you a new one?

if they issue you a new one, i'd be set..

Remind me not to move to Washington, I'd be in a heap of shit, with all the peds I have.

Issara Willenskomer /

ha! you're cool as long as you don't try to register them..

I registered 2 moped without titles in Washington. Let me know if you need some help. I know a couple loop holes that are completely legal.

« Go to Topic — end of thread