Re: New Honda Navi Affordable Mini Moto

Hecho En Mexico = our low price. I liked the review especially when he says Honda did not 1/2 Ass this machine. Parking brake isn't like a normal clutch or brake lever so it won't cause trouble. Abroad they pay more for the lockable storage and we don't. We also get a kickstand but overseas its only center stand. I think it looks like he only used a single key for all the locks but the review for India had 2keys. Thanks for posting this Ted !

> Ted Grant wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Alex from TFL bike just released his review and riding impressions of

> the Navi. I think they'll sell tons of these bikes. Throw a rack on back

> and deliver pizzas to pay it off over the summer...LOL.

>

>

Love the review.... Nice to see the goofy parking brake lever is something you have to work to use, still don't get "why" a parking brake on a MC, ??? Because Lawyers I guess or they would not have it. PETCOCK. I would like to see a rear cargo rack, true to moped heritage I needs my Milk Crate..., and I have to say I'm liking the brown one, never been a fan of bright colors. Maybe get it wrapped in flat black.... But yeah, totally want.

Oh yeah, never ridden anything with linked brakes, anyone know what that's like? Would it be possible to separate them? How do you modulate? :/

Ted Grant /

No experience with linked brakes but it should be easy to split off the front brake with a new cable. I would try the factory brake setup first to see if it feels natural or something you could get used to.

^ A given, I mean why mess it up if it's ok, just never experienced a linked set up, I'm sure it's fine, just seems so odd....but so does having the internet in one's pocket....progress is always strange after a certain age. :)

I wrecked a Honda Metropolitan pretty good because of the linked brakes. Tried to skid the rear sideways in a stop and immediately went down. Oops.

^ Yeah, this is what I was thinking about....been riding so long on reg brakes I was wondering if by reflex I would do something like that, I guess just really have to pay attention, did not know the metropolitans had linked brakes, is this some newfangled "safety" thing?

My local Honda Powersports dealer quoted me $2433 OTD. The next one is coming in mid February. This one is red, but I really wanted grasshopper green though. He’ll hold it for me with a $300 deposit. Should I pull the trigger or wait for my preferred color?

Guess that depends on what you do more: ride it, or look at it.

I’m kinda being serious about that. My commuter looks stupid, but it does what I want it to.

- my first mc was pink and purple with a white footprint on the tank. I rattle canned that one black before I had it for a week. (edited)

I’m definitely gonna ride this scoot, not just look at it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the red one. I’m very excited. I already own three Vespas and a Genuine Buddy 125, but this top tank Honda scoot has me intrigued. I’ll probably sell my 2005 Vespa GT 200 to make space for it in my garage.

Ted Grant /

> Moped Lar wrote:

> I’m definitely gonna ride this scoot, not just look at it. I went ahead

> and pulled the trigger on the red one. I’m very excited. I already own

> three Vespas and a Genuine Buddy 125, but this top tank Honda scoot has

> me intrigued. I’ll probably sell my 2005 Vespa GT 200 to make space for

> it in my garage.

Congrats! From the videos the Navi appears to accelerate well from a standstill and can easily keep up with city traffic. I'm sure you'll have a blast riding it and maintenance will be next to nothing. I've been quoted 3250 CDN out the door including taxes. The big unkown is the insurance costs since it's so new. I was quoted around $870.00 per year for a new Honda Grom which is it's closest equivalent. Sure hope it's lower so I can ride for the whole season...

^ That insurance is INSANE, is that for full coverage or something?

Honda will sell every one of these as fast as Mexico can make them.

Too bad dealers are going to play their stupid games and tack $1k on the $1807 price.

I'll take a red one.

I had combined braking on a CBR1100XX and a ST1300 never an issue. Brake bleeding...another story.

My bike now has ABS, my first, no CBS, THIS is the way to go.

ST1300=SWEET bike. I don't go fast enough to need ABS anymore, but yeah, has to be a good thing on big bikes, does it shake like in a car? I hate it on my cars that are saddled with it. it DID save me from sliding all the WAY through an intersection in my F-250 2wd, I think I have enough weight in the bed now to avoid that, plus I rarely drive it in the winter, never had it activate in my lincoln....hope not to.

Ted Grant /

> Stephen Keller wrote:

> ^ That insurance is INSANE, is that for full coverage or something?

It is insane considering we have a five month riding season. This gives you a 200 deductible on collision and 500K liability. I calculated the insurance on a 2022 Honda Rebel 500 and it was cheaper at $694.00. I don't understand the logic at all...

Just to give you some perspective, here in Virginia, I own three big Vespas and a Genuine Buddy 125. I carry full coverage on my two 2021 models, while the other two older scoots just have liability. I pay about $650 a year with Geico. Our riding season here in VA is about 9-10 months out of the year.

> Ted Grant wrote:

> > Stephen Keller wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^ That insurance is INSANE, is that for full coverage or something?

>

> It is insane considering we have a five month riding season. This gives

> you a 200 deductible on collision and 500K liability. I calculated the

> insurance on a 2022 Honda Rebel 500 and it was cheaper at $694.00. I

> don't understand the logic at all...

Honda NU50s have a "parking brake" lock on the rear brake lever, the auto choke makes the bike rev pretty high when starting cold. That way you bike won't take off if you start it with the wheel down, maybe that is why the Navi also has one?

Looks like a fun bike, but kinda heavy at 220 lbs. My C70 felt so bulky compared to my Hobbit, and C70s only weigh about 160 lbs.

The Navi has a manual choke.

> Chris . wrote:

> Honda NU50s have a "parking brake" lock on the rear brake lever, the

> auto choke makes the bike rev pretty high when starting cold. That way

> you bike won't take off if you start it with the wheel down, maybe that

> is why the Navi also has one?

>

> Looks like a fun bike, but kinda heavy at 220 lbs. My C70 felt so bulky

> compared to my Hobbit, and C70s only weigh about 160 lbs.

Pushrod Fifty /

$870/year for a Grom is ridiculous but it depends on ones driving record and years of riding experience. I just paid my Progressive for the year, $305 for 4 full coverage street bikes.

Ted Grant /

I've had my motorcycle licence since 1981 and I'm at my maximum 15 merits so the 870 bucks is already discounted 33%. Once you get into negative merits your insurance and licence costs skyrocket.

Pushrod Fifty /

Could be that the Navi is a beginner bike and they have seen alot of crashes. 1980 for me with no tickets. The bikes vary in price, not relative to displacement, and one is only $28.00. I think Progressive is the cheapest, do they serve CA?

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you're not shopping for insurance every few years, you're going to be over-paying.

All CVT bikes need a parking brake to park on hills. There's no way to leave it "in gear" like a regular motorcycle to stop it from rolling down the hill.

> Peter v. wrote:

> All CVT bikes need a parking brake to park on hills. There's no way to

> leave it "in gear" like a regular motorcycle to stop it from rolling

> down the hill.

^ Hmmm, never thought of this, as I, (don't laugh) have never parked a motorcycle/scooter/moped on enough of a hill to where it would roll? Even when I lived in Duluth for a yr, always found a level spot, parking lot....and I have never left a shifter motorcycle in gear when parked, like ever, did it with cars all the time, just never thought to do it with a MC. My '81 CM 400A had a parking brake too, and could never figure out why....never used it once, bike was always where I left it. :)

Regardless, just submitted a "build" request to the closest Honda dealer via e-mail, it's in the city proper so don't want to drive down there if at all avoidable, crime rate in Mpls has soared since the Floyd thing... Hope to hear back soon, could pay cash, but scared to drive into the city with that much "real" money on me, maybe I could just charge it over the phone.

Still shaking my head over the parking brake thing, and how I managed to avoid ever even understanding the need for it over all these yrs...laughs at myself. :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account