Supply Chain Crisis

Expect a lot of empty shelves this Christmas. Supply chain issues are affecting all of North America. This excerpt deals with the crisis in Vancouver B.C. but there are also problems with the port in Los Angeles. The author has worked in the shipping customs field for ten years and has never seen things so bad. He discourages panic buying but suggests if you want something and can afford it to buy it now...

The province was already a nightmare with the port of Vancouver being 2+ weeks behind offloading ocean vessels. Trying to get carriers in the area to move things around, or find warehouse space to destuff containers was already a premium and incredibly hard to find. This was causing huge delays and extra costs for importers. Almost every container is getting storage and demurrage charges as well as increased trucking costs due to lack of capacity to move the loads.

I'm working on shipments that left China in August that are just now arriving and clearing customs in BC.

Sixty Minutes covered the crisis in Los Angeles.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supply-chain-crisis-60-minutes-2021-11-14/

Re: Supply Chain Crisis

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is really a wild thing that people are kind of ignoring.

I work in large-scale lighting (production, architectural, theatre) and manufacturers (even the ones who are building in the US) are being crippled by this.

A central component to one of our main vendor's most popular lighting control is back-ordered until late 2022... People who paid for their $40k+ dimming system won't even be able to use them until the chip set is available again.

KISS= Keep it simple, Stupid. America and the world forgot that principle while complicating cars that should be as simple as gas,oil,tires, and simple electrical accessories WITHOUT computer modules for everything.

Mopeds will rule the world. LOL!

Ted Grant /

People are covid exhausted and want to get on with their lives. Can't blame them for ignoring some of the negative aspects. My daughters like to shop at a craft store that is now using plywood to cover the bare shelves. No runs on toilet paper at Costco yet but it's coming...

Ted Grant /

Don is onto something...If the shit hits the fan and there's a EMP strike there won't be many vehicles left running. Mopeds are apocalypse proof and any cars pre 1973 with points and condenser ignition should keep running...

punkrock randy /

All of my vehicles would keep running, except for the Passat. Which I’m trying to part ways with anyhow. I’m not scared of computers like =Don though. And I don’t consume new things like your average ’merican, so I think I’ll be just fine 👌🏼 Shortages are definitely going to mess things up for years to come, and that sucks for sure. I’m going to see Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio tonight though, so I don’t care about much else for the moment. No shortages on good times tonight!🤘🏼🍻

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Yeah, donnie is on to something. Horse de-wormer.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you think that simply having an old car is going to make you a survivor, you are an idiot.

IF there's a nationwide EMP strike that is strong enough to wipe car's computers out, what do you think is going to happen to the computerized gas pumps and service stations? They're just going to ladle gas into your 70's toy motorcycle in exchange for gold fillings?

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is really a wild thing that people are kind of ignoring.

>

> I work in large-scale lighting (production, architectural, theatre) and

> manufacturers (even the ones who are building in the US) are being

> crippled by this.

>

> A central component to one of our main vendor's most popular lighting

> control is back-ordered until late 2022... People who paid for their

> $40k+ dimming system won't even be able to use them until the chip set

> is available again.

Yup. FPGA and microcontrollers have minimum lead times of 52+ weeks in most cases; it's been like that all year and isn't getting any better.

We ordered some mil-spec style connectors for a project I work on earlier this year; the quoted lead time was 16 weeks, it has been 24 weeks and no ship date is in sight.

> Yup. FPGA and microcontrollers have minimum lead times of 52+ weeks in

> most cases; it's been like that all year and isn't getting any better.

>

> We ordered some mil-spec style connectors for a project I work on

> earlier this year; the quoted lead time was 16 weeks, it has been 24

> weeks and no ship date is in sight.

Its our own fault for putting all of our eggs in China's basket. I've read where other countries are building chip factories to get in on the game. But its too late to fix our immediate shortages.

And you think the shortages are bad now... wait until after the Black Friday/XMas shopping sprees start. 2022 is going to be ROUGH.

> Brian F wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > This is really a wild thing that people are kind of ignoring.

>

> >

>

> > I work in large-scale lighting (production, architectural, theatre)

> and

>

> > manufacturers (even the ones who are building in the US) are being

>

> > crippled by this.

>

> >

>

> > A central component to one of our main vendor's most popular lighting

>

> > control is back-ordered until late 2022... People who paid for their

>

> > $40k+ dimming system won't even be able to use them until the chip set

>

> > is available again.

>

> Yup. FPGA and microcontrollers have minimum lead times of 52+ weeks in

> most cases; it's been like that all year and isn't getting any better.

>

> We ordered some mil-spec style connectors for a project I work on

> earlier this year; the quoted lead time was 16 weeks, it has been 24

> weeks and no ship date is in sight.

We have a 50 week lead time on the FPGA's I program, and we were looking at switching suppliers/to a different FPGA and rebuilding our system around that. The shortest lead time for any comparable FPGA's we could find is 60 weeks haha

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> If you think that simply having an old car is going to make you a

> survivor, you are an idiot.

>

> IF there's a nationwide EMP strike that is strong enough to wipe car's

> computers out, what do you think is going to happen to the computerized

> gas pumps and service stations? They're just going to ladle gas into

> your 70's toy motorcycle in exchange for gold fillings?

Not to mention the power grid that supplies electricity to everything in our world. Debit/credit cards will be useless too. You cant expect the dono's to even consider or foresee anything when they are too busy stroking thier own egos.

It definitely feels like the trump media or whatever is trying to blow shit out of proportion, or maybe just clever add guys jumping on the panic buy bandwagon which is hilarious and genius.

There are some really weird crazy things going on, I deal with it every day. Stupid companies that are poorly run are eating a dick for sure since they can't handle. I'm doing my best to find new suppliers, substitute things, and keep the wheels rolling. I think most people that aren't in engineering or logistics just don't have any idea how the world works, you hear all kinds of don-esque dumbassery.

At the end of the day it really comes down to how much stupid China trinkets do you really need. Maybe if you can't find something you don't need it or be creative and do something else. Hung out with my buddy the other night and showed him how to make spark plug wires since the premade set was unavailable. Cool!

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> This is really a wild thing that people are kind of ignoring.

>

> I work in large-scale lighting (production, architectural, theatre) and

> manufacturers (even the ones who are building in the US) are being

> crippled by this.

>

> A central component to one of our main vendor's most popular lighting

> control is back-ordered until late 2022... People who paid for their

> $40k+ dimming system won't even be able to use them until the chip set

> is available again.

Weird I didn't realize this, you talk to Fred ever for non mopeds?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

>

>

> > This is really a wild thing that people are kind of ignoring.

>

> >

>

> > I work in large-scale lighting (production, architectural, theatre)

> and

>

> > manufacturers (even the ones who are building in the US) are being

>

> > crippled by this.

>

> >

>

> > A central component to one of our main vendor's most popular lighting

>

> > control is back-ordered until late 2022... People who paid for their

>

> > $40k+ dimming system won't even be able to use them until the chip set

>

> > is available again.

>

> Weird I didn't realize this, you talk to Fred ever for non mopeds?

Fred and I have chatted bulbs before, I even tried to prop my work to drop ship from Fred's but they weren't interested in speciallty bulb.

My end of things is mostly control/LED/Moving Lights. Parts are getting very thin.

In the past week, I have been to two different restaurants that were out of mozzarella cheese sticks.

Feeling the pain (well my son is)

^ Lol, I feel his pain too! :) I LOVE those things....dammit, now I'm hungry...

> Don Ohio wrote:

> KISS= Keep it simple, Stupid. America and the world forgot that

> principle while complicating cars that should be as simple as

> gas,oil,tires, and simple electrical accessories WITHOUT computer

> modules for everything.

>

> Mopeds will rule the world. LOL!

For you computer commuter lovers, I reiterate...................^ THIS! LOL!

Fuck off you willfully ignorant piece of shit. ^

> Don Ohio wrote:

> > Don Ohio wrote:

>

>

> > KISS= Keep it simple, Stupid. America and the world forgot that

>

> > principle while complicating cars that should be as simple as

>

> > gas,oil,tires, and simple electrical accessories WITHOUT computer

>

> > modules for everything.

>

> >

>

> > Mopeds will rule the world. LOL!

>

> For you computer commuter lovers, I reiterate...................^ THIS!

> LOL!

As if any of your four wheelers are computer free. The computers clean up emissions while gaining efficiency. That would be considered "conserving" resources and the environment as a "conservative". Hipocryte!

They've went crazy wth computer modules for everything, and if you don't know THAT, you don't know anything.

My Aerostar has enough computer control for any car, and it has never had a computer problem. It's 27 yrs, old.

Go back to basics and everyone can relax when a repair is needed.

> Ted Grant wrote:

> Don is onto something...If the shit hits the fan and there's a EMP

> strike there won't be many vehicles left running. Mopeds are apocalypse

> proof and any cars pre 1973 with points and condenser ignition should

> keep running...

Mechanical diesels will also run. Should there be an EMP we will be fucked over by far worse things than non operable cars. The water and nat gas will cease, commerce will grind to a halt because even if you have cash no registers will work. No running water will render all major population centers disease pits, can you imagine millions of people unable to remove their own waste? If you are into this doom and gloom senario, the best survival tools are: lots of wide open space, a very reliable 12 gauge, a .22 rifle with scope, the hand gun of your choice, and a very heavy duty bicycle. Other people will become the most dangerous things on earth, Mad Max shit is stupid, those that survive will be those that can make themselves invisible. On the plus side of an EMP, every single smart phone will be rendered useless.... :) Nothing would warm my heart more than to watch the app kids wonder how to live without them. I imagine they will taste pretty good, make mine med rare.. ;) Don's inane statement that "mopeds will rule the world" is dumb beyond belief, let's say it happens, you fire up your trusty points powered 2 stroker, no one else has running transport, you have a toy motorcycle that can go between 30-40 mph, do you not think for a second the "others" will not swarm you to take it from you? All you would do by riding it is calling attention to yourself, the LAST thing you need/want to do in a survival situation. This further proves to me that whomever is running the don account is not the ancient bible banging right wing asshat the real don is/was, he was a throwback to the worst our country had to offer, but he was smarter than to make such statements.

I dont understand what people think an emp does to electronics but let me assure you your moped will be fried too. Your high tension coil and condenser will be totally cooked. The only electrical components that would survive are the ones that are shielded and no vehicle has that kind of protection. Your cdi is cooked too BTW. Not only that, but mopeds run on magnetos and they will absolutely FRY your coils instantly. You people have a very funny idea about what an EMP leaves untouched.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /
0538B179-F37F-4984-AE0C-1C77E55E91D7.png

Dirty30 Dillon /

Joshh is right, given that the WIKI definition is for a anomalous EMP, not necessarily weaponized. Which would be much stronger, obviously.

In reality, we're like one horrendous solar flare from a return to pre-IR at any given moment lol.

I'm not worried about an EMP and never mentioned it. You guys assumed that.

Fuck off dipshit.

Hey Solar flares is my bread and butter. here’s a good read about it if you like this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

> Don Ohio wrote:

> I'm not worried about an EMP and never mentioned it. You guys assumed

> that.

Because it never occurred to you?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account