Busted NBA Jam Arcade- anyone work on these things?

Hi!

Back in like 2018 I was moving out of my storefront and I was going to put my NBA Jam arcade in storage. One of my friends asked if he could put it in his company’s office till I found it a new spot so I said sure! Fast forward to 2021, he returned it with the back section of the screen busted off.

Does anyone know where I could get parts or someone to repair it near Cleveland? It worked great before the screen broke. Thanks!

4147B042-6DB3-44B0-BEEA-92439FA9B9E7.jpeg
3565C2C3-B878-439E-9E0C-CB9A338AA756.jpeg

Re: Busted NBA Jam Arcade- anyone work on these things?

Under that old crt monitor, the video board needs to be swapped out with something like this so you can put a newer monitor in. Not 100% sure that is the one you want though!! I'll double check after I'm off work.

video converter

(edited)

Johnny Braaapp /

I’d try to keep that thing as original as possible, they are worth a mint in good original condition

Aww man, someone necked the tube. They are no longer in production...luckily the monitor is a separate unit and can be swapped out for another if you can find one...tutorials also exist for converting some color cry tube TV's...

But you best bet is a lcd monitor upgrade like Chad posted..

Your tube is deader than dead.

Don't convert. That's lame as hell.

Most of us swap tubes with TVs. Looks too small to be a dedicated midway cab so I'm assuming it's a conversion cab with a 25' monitor. Well most of us arcade guys get 25 inch tvs from hotels. For some reason all the hotels in the day used to use them.

You can still get used monitors that almost always only need a cap kit to get working but if you're real lucky you can find a CRT refresher tube that burns the carbon off. You have to be awfully skilled to use it and not burn the tubes but practice on some old TVs and you'll get the hang of it. Just stay as far away from a neotek monitor as you can haha (edited)

Thanks for all the info! I know less than nothing about this stuff so I’ll have to read up on it. Thanks for the links too.

Here’s a picture of the frontside from 2016 back when it was working:

0DB5D7FB-4699-448B-8864-62C236451656.jpeg

I’d like to put another CRT in if possible but it’s probably just going to be converted to LCD.

They never look right on LCD. NBA jam uses a low res monitor. If you go LCD its gonna be pixel city

^ this....there are usually a few guys hoarding these games in every major city, I'd try and find him....see what you can scavenge one for...the one you have is beyond repair. Check out pool halls, even modern arcades, they know "the guy" or the service company.

Syn swoops fixes games and stuff, I've repaired some old cabinets, alot of times its pretty simple if you can find parts. What's the measurement? Those often seem to be weird dimensions that tvs didn't come in but it seems very salvageable. If you do it right the value gonna be way better, old arcade stuff is one of the best invests out there right now

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Syn swoops fixes games and stuff, I've repaired some old cabinets, alot

> of times its pretty simple if you can find parts. What's the

> measurement? Those often seem to be weird dimensions that tvs didn't

> come in but it seems very salvageable. If you do it right the value

> gonna be way better, old arcade stuff is one of the best invests out

> there right now

It's the 25" monitor. I would like to keep it original with the old style monitor. I've done a little googling and other people also say Midway arcades don't work well with LCD screens. I'll have to keep an eye out for an old screen. Maybe I'll go up to HGR and see if they have any. I vaguely remember going down an aisle back in the day that was filled with old computer screens and stuff.

The short story behind this arcade is that I got it for free. The long story is that I used to build custom furniture and I was delivering some tables to a guy in Ohio City. The cabinet was sitting in the corner of his loft next to the door already disassembled. I asked what he was doing with it and he said it didn't work. His old roommate left it there about a year ago and moved out. He asked me if I could help him take it out to the dumpster. I said, sure, if by "dumpster" you mean the bed of my truck LOL. So I took it back to my shop and hooked it all up and it worked fine.

Since I have $0 dollars invested so far, I'd be willing to spend a few bucks getting it repaired the right way.

Here's some links to one of my defunct YouTube channels. I used to be pretty heavy into arcades. If you run into some more technical stuff don't hesitate to ask. These are videos from the arcade in my apartment.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

It looks like there's a guy in Olmsted that runs a "Pinball Shoppe. " they have a few crts listed on ebay, but only one is 25". They're a bit pricey, but maybe you can get one for cheaper after giving them a call and buddying up to them. crt prices are pretty crazy all over.

First image is the Olmsted guy's eBay page.

Second image is a crt graveyard behind my local arcade.

I would avoid LCDs at all cost but also avoid having a crt shipped to you.

Screenshot_20211118-154151_eBay.jpg
20181110_200111.jpg

At least you've got one of the easiest cabinets to work on. Dedicated midways are a breeze and use good components. Your monitor needed a rejuvenation really bad anyway. Any used monitor you get will probably need one too but they can be found on ebay

We know toledo guy who's dealt with that pinball guy, I like the hgr idea tho, they probably got some. They got all kinda stuff

I've never had the pleasure of owning or working on an old arcade machine. All the stuff I build are made with raspberri pi's with retropi and are mame machines. I don't know what video board you need as a replacement sadly.

> Chad Tufts wrote:

> I've never had the pleasure of owning or working on an old arcade

> machine. All the stuff I build are made with raspberri pi's with

> retropi and are mame machines. I don't know what video board you need

> as a replacement sadly.

No problem, I appreciate you looking into it for me!

> Hepatitis J [OFMC] wrote:

> It looks like there's a guy in Olmsted that runs a "Pinball Shoppe. "

> they have a few crts listed on ebay, but only one is 25". They're a bit

> pricey, but maybe you can get one for cheaper after giving them a call

> and buddying up to them. crt prices are pretty crazy all over.

>

> First image is the Olmsted guy's eBay page.

>

> Second image is a crt graveyard behind my local arcade.

>

> I would avoid LCDs at all cost but also avoid having a crt shipped to

> you.

> >

Thanks for finding those! I'm definitely going to contact that guy from ebay. Hopefully that 25" RCA will work.

Don't be surprised if that monitor need a cap kit. In fact, you should get one anyway and do it before putting the new monitor in. Find an appliance repair shop that's been in business forever and ask for the oldest dude there. He can do it for you and probably has a tube rejuvenater and a degaussing tool to set that new monitor to looking like new

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account