Should they stay or should they go….

I bought this 1960’s stereo console today for $60. I want to use it primarily as a TV stand in my man cave. All the components (radio, turntable and 8 track player) work. The reception and sound aren’t the greatest. Should I gut this thing out or keep it intact? I can’t make up my mind. Like I said, I only have $60 invested in it.

330BE932-EEF6-4FDB-8CFF-13A770F5AB28.jpeg
9D90B1F3-E9DC-41DF-B6C4-2F84C17A03D2.jpeg
F0CEC561-B67D-40B8-AAE1-820AFD8EDF23.jpeg

Re: Should they stay or should they go….

I would gut it. Looks in decent shape. Use it for a TV stand and maybe install some good sounding speakers for the TV. The speakers they put in TVs aren't that great anyway.

The phono sound is very dependent on the quality of the needle,Larry. AND of course the record. (edited)

Don, I haven’t tried playing a record yet, only the radio and 8 track. Sound was pretty crappy.

Working 8-tracks are a thing ya know.

You could still buy a Muntz 4 track player for your car in the late 60's. 8 tracks weren't much better...

> Moped Lar wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don, I haven’t tried playing a record yet, only the radio and 8 track.

> Sound was pretty crappy.

I like that cabinet! Speakers can be replaced. Linda had a `maggot-box' brand like 7 ft. long with fabulous sound.

I would fix it up if you can, I had one like that, it was a bit bigger, but once I cleaned the tuner, and the connections on the speakers it sounded amazing, (for what it was) I blew a speaker, and while it will date me, I got some new from Heathkit and it was even better, I did need an external antenna as the unit was in the basement. Never owned 8 tracks, but the phono and the radio were great.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Fyi the speakers are really good jensons.

Ok, since the general consensus is to keep it intact, I’ll try cleaning up all the internals and see how it sounds. It is a nest piece. Thanks guys!

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Linda had a `maggot-box'

> brand like 7 ft. long with fabulous sound.

This a real question:

Why not just call it Magnavox? Do you dislike the company (despite their "fabulous sound"-ing equipment)? Maybe there was a scenario involving maggot's in one of their boxes from a newspaper clipping in the 80's that no one knows about?

Or as I suspect, is it just a generational foible that older forum users (specifically hobby-related) have yet to let go of?

Does `toymotor' offend you too? How about `Kamakazi'?Too bad you missed out on 60s and 70s humor,Boy. LOL!

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Does `toymotor' offend you too? How about `Kamakazi'?Too bad you missed

> out on 60s and 70s humor,Boy. LOL!

I don't think anyone is sad they missed out on 60s and 70s humor if you're painting an accurate picture of it

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Does `toymotor' offend you too? How about `Kamakazi'?Too bad you missed

> out on 60s and 70s humor,Boy. LOL!

I'm not offended by maggot-box or toymotor, I just think they're both idiotic. Like if I saw someone hitting themselves in the nuts on the street, I would wonder why, but I am not offended.

Kamikaze (which is what I think you were trying to spell) is not a made up word so I'm not sure what you're referring to or how it's relevant.

I literally just asked what the etymology of that phrase was, or in lieu of that, what the reasoning was behind the age-specific vernacular that seems to pervade hobbyist forums.

The stereo is actually an Admiral, not a Magnavox…lol

daan SJAARLOOS /

60s humor

gettyimages-516538393-612x612.jpg

Im always trying to get rid of stuff.

Admirals were good.

Dillon croaked: `Or as I suspect, is it just a generational foible that older forum users'

Your definition of foible may be incorrect in the sense it was NO MISTAKE when I used the slangy version of the Kawasaki or Magnavox name. Just as GMC to me is referred to as the `General Mistake Corporation.LOL!

The Cambridge dictionary first meaning of foible is accurate in this case.

foible definition: 1. a strange habit or characteristic that is seen as not important and not harming anyone: As to Kamikaze spelling, doesn't bother me EVER to slightly misspell a false religious rite that killled thousands of people. So, another foible to you: `Put that in yer pipe and SMOKE it!'

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Dillon croaked: `Or as I suspect, is it just a generational foible that

> older forum users'

>

> Your definition of foible may be incorrect in the sense it was NO

> MISTAKE when I used the slangy version of the Kawasaki or Magnavox name.

> Just as GMC to me is referred to as the `General Mistake

> Corporation.LOL!

>

> The Cambridge dictionary first meaning of foible is accurate in this

> s case.

>

> foible definition: 1. a strange habit or characteristic that is seen as

> not important and not harming anyone: As to Kamikaze spelling, doesn't

> bother me EVER to slightly misspell a false religious rite that killled

> thousands of people. So, another foible to you: `Put that in yer pipe

> and SMOKE it!'

My application of foible is perfectly accurate, you have the strange habit of purposefully mis-spelling names in an effort to rouse humor, which is generally harmless. The definition doesn't require the one participating in the action to be mistaken.

You obviously have no contextual understanding of kamikaze, so why I would think you could accurately spell it it beyond me.

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it" is an anachronistic aphorism, not a foible.

My point was not to try and insult you, I am genuinely curious why it's become such a popular attempt at wit amongst older hobbyists.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Wow English major...

I respect you too much to add..

How's that working for you?

HONDA - more like FONDA! Am I right? Cuz jane fonda! OL HANOI JANE know whatimean? You kids these days wouldnt get it, she's a communist! trade our nuclear secrets to Hoachy min!

Just like FAUX-ci - the supervillain LIAR with the vax-scenes! cuz everybody in the motion pictures is making a scene! CUZ I DONT TRUST EM! Jane Fonda was in the movies, so no honda for ol DON OH-CRY-O

only a FORD - fix it again tony!

^ "fix it again tony" referred to Fiat....

Nano Vujkovic /

FORD => flip over read directions

Dumb,dumb,........so dumb............LOL! Now quit trying to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin while on MopedLar's thread.

> Nano Vujkovic wrote:

> FORD => flip over read directions

You mean, Fastest On Race Day!

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Dumb,dumb,........so dumb............LOL! Now quit trying to argue how

> many angels can dance on the head of a pin while on MopedLar's thread.

Whatever troll.

> Stephen Keller wrote:

> ^ "fix it again tony" referred to Fiat....

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ wrote:

> Wow English major...

>

> I respect you too much to add..

>

> How's that working for you?

I majored in English Lit, and if it shows than I guess I must have some decent retention.

And it worked out great. I spent a lot of years working as an editor for a major publishing company, and now I get to use proper grammar and concise vocabulary in an attempt to clarify the quagmire that is 65% of the discourse on this site.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I’d leave it intact, and if you use bluetooth, there’s some nice little bluetooth amps out there that also have RCA inputs that you could run the tv into… maybe a fresh pair of speakers too. I’m assuming the doors are for album storage.

I see that donnie boy is still shitting up the forum like a toddler.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account