The shifting values of work for a job vs. working for yourself.

Today I got a text from the gen manager of the shop where I work, the chiller was down, so no presses working, owner out sick, mechanic out sick, possibly covid....ugh, nothing to do, would I mind staying home, prob get paid without using PTO or vacation time, (we have both) she said "you didn't use any of the free days off we offered to people when they took the vaccine", I didn't as I still felt well enough to work, I was teased by co-workers for this, but did not feel right not going in because I could. Right there is a win. So, I went out and worked on the van I was getting ready to junk as it was mainly used as storage, but this spring developed an awful miss, I found the issue, chewed through wiring harness to the coil pack, there is a huge squirrel population in the trees by my lot, rewired it a bit, ran great, dumped the oil and refilled as it was gas soaked from running on 5 of 6. Threw it on cl at 10am. Was sold at 2:30 pm for more than I take home in a week! WTF 'am I doing? lol, I know I know, got to keep the IRS happy, but this just makes me happy, kid who bought it wanted to pay via Pay-Pal or something called Venmo? I have a Pay-pal account, got it last year, know how to buy with it, but not how to take money with it, and never heard of Venmo, assume it's the same kind of thing? Don't know, don't care, said no, I need cash. He grimaced but said he would see if he could get it? Who doesn't have cash when going to buy a beater used car? I figured I would not see him again, but sure enough he came back with it. Title switched at the dmv, he groused about that too, but no sale if he was not cool with that, I drove him to DMV....damn kids, lol. Who wants a '97 Caravan that bad? Thing was fugly, filthy inside, no rear seats, trashed suspension, strong engine, when I drove it it was peppy, got great gas mileage, but all I used it for was storage. Had a great stereo, complete with CD player, who knows...he seemed thrilled to get it. Brakes were good tranny "fair". Had a full tank of gas, that's worth something, lol. I've had a VERY productive day! "merica! Not putting the money in the bank, but into one of my many cache's around the city, I will now have 3, hidden where they will never be found, and are sealed dry, a trick I learned from a dealer friend of mine, you just never know! I just don't have guns in any of mine, though the way things are going in Mpls, maybe I should add a few... If I could pull something like this off twice a month what an increase in income I could have, could never report it, but cash is still accepted in this country....sooo? I almost want to get fired now, except my job is pretty easy and they pay 100% of my health insurance premiums, so, yeah, I'll be going in tomorrow....I think! ;)

Re: The shifting values of work for a job vs. working for yourself.

I work with a guy almost half my age that has gained almost $100,000 in a few weeks on a $100 investment in crypto currency.

Seems like some people have a knack for making easy money.

I’d just keep going to work. I sleep better at night without grand schemes going off like fireworks in my brain.

Stephen Keller /

^ I totally agree, but man, with the internet, the whole world is your customer, I don't begin to understand crypto, but people are cleaning up on it, the trick is to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em know when to walk away, know when to run...lol, I like having a set income, I can then budget, borrow to earn money etc, but that's as close to investing as I get, if I make a windfall, I stash and save it, I can borrow a grand, invest it make a few hundred and pay it back before interest ever hits, the trick is to never get greedy. ;) A few bucks at a time, off grid, cash only.

Probably Fred /

Only off grid because legitimately to have your own business you need to pay your own healthcare, Social Security, 14% tax, business insurance, Workmen’s Comp, Retirement, vacation accounts etc.

I don’t know what it is now but a few years ago in my Interior systems trade (Carpenter union) I saw paperwork that showed what it cost per employee, what the customer was charged per hour and so on.

We got anywhere from $26 to $31 hr depending on county we worked in with healthcare, Dental and eye, Workmen’s Comp. 7% of the 14% tax, retirement, annuity etc. This could cost signatory employers $70 hr and with overhead it could cost $80+ for labor to break even (not counting Materials of course)

Most commercial floor layers/interior system work is done with a bidding process and if the job goes well the companies are lucky to make 4 to 5% on the job on big jobs 8-10% on small jobs,

I worked on bid jobs but most times I was repair person/small jobs so most times my work was billed through a purchase order not to exceed a certain amount and with very little money to be made with materials.

I had to do my repairs, work in a quick and timely fashion, A minimum stop for up to one hour of labor would cost $130+ and 99 dollars a hr after that.

So if you own a business, pay everything legitimately and factor in overhead you have to charge 2.5-3 times or more hourly rate and mark up Materials a considerable amount to be successful.

Many people who have their own Business don’t don’t pay half of the insurances and things like residential carpet/flooring installers, painters, carpet cleaners, handyman, truck drivers etc.

Their wife or somebody has healthcare already or they just don’t have it. with Workers Comp and business insurance premiums being so expensive in some areas many self employed people don’t have that either

So if a person gets hurt working at your house you could be sued that’s why you need to ask to see their business insurance and Workmen’s Comp. insurance as well as see if they’re bonded etc.

I know a code writer who gets $80+an hour after it’s figured for his work on a 1099 but his health care premium for his wife and her child is almost $1500 a month

And that doesn’t include Deductible, co-pays, office visits, dental, eye and other incidentals like diabetic and other medications that cost $800 a month,

He also has to pay full 14% tax not 7% like an hourly workers pay, Pays his own retirement, gets nothing for sick/vacation and is in a hi tax bracket, he’s barely doing OK, the past year he couldn’t put nothing in retirement.

I know a truck driving couple and other self-employed that are working in the red without healthcare and other benefits.

I did my own business between hourly jobs and lived without healthcare and other things It was horrible for me and my (young at the time) family.

I’ve been blessed to have a good hourly job with good benefits and to have found a good safe (for now) place to live for cheap since early 90s.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

A sole proprietor doesn't need but one employee...

An hour into a new hobby...

3k on a 28 dollar investment.

I got ten bitcoin's in 2006.

I don't have to do anything.

I started my company 11 1 21.

I made so much I have to cover my disability status by starting this I have to fail but it would be nice if it snowballs.

I got this for 6 bucks...

20211031_212125.jpg
1920sceilingsconce.jpg

A jewellers rug 15 bux .full of unknown crystalline metallic condensate holds form till bout 5,000f no silver or gold I don't have a crucible. The heat is high could be palanium platinum or electrum I need a gas chromatograph...

Then turns into a weird plasticlike ceramic. I should pass it with the Geiger counter...

I'll be working for myself next year. I've spent four summers on the tour boats and the pandemic has greatly decreased business. I'd also like to get away from a weather dependent job. There are no benefits and communications are very poor. When I'm laid off end of season I won't hear from them until a day before they need me next year. I took a light electrical vehicle technician course and plan to repair E bikes at my own pace next year. Any bicycle shop here will only service a factory E bike if they sold it to you. Most E bike owners in the city purchased their bikes on line and have no where to go when they break down. As far as I know I will be the only certified independent E bike tech in the city. This will supplement my pension that is adequate until I need dental work. Medicare here is free but you might die waiting. Due to covid our province has built up a backlog of around 130K elective surgeries. I'm looking forward to working for myself. I've had too many jobs where I had to pick up the slack for coworkers that were lazy or absent a lot of the time. The responsible ones suffer the most...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Honestly I could not work for anyone but myself.

Btw I modeled myself after the greatest boss of all time.

Jerry Klaus OATS president and CEO.

He flew to Texas to bail us out of jail. Paid everyone well and was the most stand up guy I have known. He's the guy in the wedding dress in dude looks like a lady aerosmith vidio.

Stephen Keller /

"The responsible ones suffer the most" boy if that isn't the truth. Good job on the e-bike course, I bet that works out well.

Bottom line is that its difficult to get ahead in life working for someone else.

> live ɘvil wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Bottom line is that its difficult to get ahead in life working for

> someone else.

For sure. I work for a contractor. I get paid a salary worth a decent penny per hour, but the client is billed 4x what I'm paid for every hour I work. I get that there's overhead and everything else, but it's demoralizing to see that for every hour I work I'm making my company 3-4x what I'm being paid. And we always finish contracts under budget. (edited)

Stephen Keller /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ wrote:

> A sole proprietor doesn't need but one employee...

>

> An hour into a new hobby...

>

> 3k on a 28 dollar investment.

>

> I got ten bitcoin's in 2006.

>

> I don't have to do anything.

>

> I started my company 11 1 21.

>

> I made so much I have to cover my disability status by starting this I

> have to fail but it would be nice if it snowballs.

>

> I got this for 6 bucks...

>

> A jewellers rug 15 bux .full of unknown crystalline metallic condensate

> holds form till bout 5,000f no silver or gold I don't have a crucible.

> The heat is high could be palanium platinum or electrum I need a gas

> chromatograph...

>

> Then turns into a weird plasticlike ceramic. I should pass it with the

> Geiger counter...

leave it alone, it's just a cool lamp... :)

At this point it's almost not even worth working. Just quit your job and.let the state take care of you. Shit I people that don't work and have nice places to I've and drive nice cars. I could never do that but the work force around here is dwindling away. Company's closing their doors because they can't find people to work. Makes me feel like shit as I work and have always worked to get the money I make and places are hiring for $5 more an hour than I make and no skills needed.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Nick MBC wrote:

> > live ɘvil wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Bottom line is that its difficult to get ahead in life working for

>

> > someone else.

>

> For sure. I work for a contractor. I get paid a salary worth a decent

> penny per hour, but the client is billed 4x what I'm paid for every hour

> I work. I get that there's overhead and everything else, but it's

> demoralizing to see that for every hour I work I'm making my company

> 3-4x what I'm being paid. And we always finish contracts under budget.

Yeah, this is very demoralizing. My bench rate as advertised is $90/hr, and by on-site day-rate is $1500/8hr.

That is roughly 3x my hourly in office, and 6x my on site rate, for an established (60+ years old) company.

The real depression hits when I can do a very similar work day in the video production side of things and make my weekly salary in a single day of freelance work.

Stephen Keller /

> Satan 666 wrote:

> At this point it's almost not even worth working. Just quit your job

> and.let the state take care of you. Shit I people that don't work and

> have nice places to I've and drive nice cars. I could never do that but

> the work force around here is dwindling away. Company's closing their

> doors because they can't find people to work. Makes me feel like shit as

> I work and have always worked to get the money I make and places are

> hiring for $5 more an hour than I make and no skills needed.

It is really strange isn't it? I mean IS the state taking care of people? I thought all the covid relief had ended? I saw some government official blathering about how the government needs to "re-incentivise" work.....uhhh, what? Wasn't the "incentive" that if you work you are able to pay your bills and not be homeless? WTF is going on?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's a ceiling sconce it's bigger than a puch tire I was thinking nice oak table top mirror mounted on top hole in mirror for a base to make a dimmer on off and a plug through the table top.

I routinely look to reuse stuff I make it a lot cooler with out harming the value it's working great.

Just got a salon's hair dryer with leather chair. Free.

Stephen Keller /

"Sconce" are we not all fancy now, lol, it's cool af, they just don't make stuff like that any more, great score.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

150 year old cane Chinese ornate back when there was high quality teak carving. Gold perigree inset wires for the glass fill. Many silver wires embedded for patterns signed and storied in Hunan symbols jade studs.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

10 dollars

Brass Coney 6x6" Moroccon

Or Turk. Not India or China. 75 years old 20.

I almost got A taxidermy wolf...

Dirty30 Dillon /

I don't know why I even bother trying to understand what you're writing.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I am doing salvage for reuse scrap and sourcing thrift and church bazaars. Restoring the good and scrapping reusing or dumping the bad.

A photographic memory and loving old weird shit since I was 10 years old, it's like a shark in the baby wading pool.

But all the blood and viscera is hunks of cash...

But it's a dead animal it creeps peeps out it's not pc back in the day yeah pricey but now it's a murder victim used to displace penis size... 50 bux...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I'm a ringer Irish gift o gab.

Danger mouse recalled toy from the first run 12 of them nib 30 dollars for lot.

M&MS aniversery watch 1.

Ice o matic a 50s bar sink manual ice cruiser w bottle cork popper. 6 dollars.

I am starting a geothermal consulting, planning and research company as well as a media arm on PBS. Things are happening so fast I am almost dumbstruck. All the years pitching one thing was so stupid. I am ADHD I needed to do 110 things at a time. My brain just works that way. But it's a feature not a flaw. I had. A chainsaw dragster with only one motor running...

It was missing a screw....

2021-11-0508.17.01168526655209940256.jpg
2021-11-0508.11.031134264040524246353.jpg
2021-11-0508.12.128874299701053011188.jpg

Dig the Taiwanese krampus.

His bag is big enough for two children no toys a bucket of coal and a look that's anything but jolly.

I am in my element. I have a project site that's making a geothermal addition getting free storage while improving properties. All my overhead I cut to almost 0. It's God .

He doesn't hate me. Or I passed the poor and suffering test...

> Probably Fred wrote:

> ...

>

> Their wife or somebody has healthcare already or they just don’t have

> it. with Workers Comp and business insurance premiums being so expensive

> in some areas many self employed people don’t have that either

>

> ...

Health Insurance costs are ridiculous indeed. But it honestly all goes back to employers not paying wages that have kept up with inflation. Also, UNIONS!!! My wife works for Ford, and Ford pays for our entire family's health insurance, with no monthly premiums. Why does Ford do that? Because of the UAW, thats why. Ford itself tries its best to stop paying for employee health insurance. Ford fights to lower wages, especially for new hires. Without the UAW Ford would be just like most other factory jobs.

As for Wages and Inflation... My Dad without even a high school diploma worked at a metal stamping plant called Conco back in the 80's. He stood at a metal press and pushed metal plates in, stamped them, and pulled the part back out. Thats it, that was the whole job. As long as your weren't a drunk or a addict, your were qualified :). With this one 40hr/week job he was able to own a house, support a wife and 2 kids, have at least one car and always had food on the table. This is what minimum wage was designed to do: You work full time and you make enough to live on without needing government assistance. Corporate greed has stolen the American dream from most of the US.

Watching the news, seeing labor shortages first hand... Good for us! We need a wage revolution in this country. Stop working for peanuts!

I thought I was the only one….lol.

M> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> I don't know why I even bother trying to understand what you're writing.

> Jeremy Crouch wrote:

> > Probably Fred wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ...

>

> >

>

> > Their wife or somebody has healthcare already or they just don’t have

>

> > it. with Workers Comp and business insurance premiums being so

> expensive

>

> > in some areas many self employed people don’t have that either

>

> >

>

> > ...

>

> Health Insurance costs are ridiculous indeed. But it honestly all goes

> back to employers not paying wages that have kept up with inflation.

> Also, UNIONS!!! My wife works for Ford, and Ford pays for our entire

> family's health insurance, with no monthly premiums. Why does Ford do

> that? Because of the UAW, thats why. Ford itself tries its best to stop

> paying for employee health insurance. Ford fights to lower wages,

> especially for new hires. Without the UAW Ford would be just like most

> other factory jobs.

>

> As for Wages and Inflation... My Dad without even a high school diploma

> worked at a metal stamping plant called Conco back in the 80's. He stood

> at a metal press and pushed metal plates in, stamped them, and pulled

> the part back out. Thats it, that was the whole job. As long as your

> weren't a drunk or a addict, your were qualified :). With this one

> 40hr/week job he was able to own a house, support a wife and 2 kids,

> have at least one car and always had food on the table. This is what

> minimum wage was designed to do: You work full time and you make enough

> to live on without needing government assistance. Corporate greed has

> stolen the American dream from most of the US.

>

> Watching the news, seeing labor shortages first hand... Good for us! We

> need a wage revolution in this country. Stop working for peanuts!

YOU FILTHY COMMIE! HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE CAPITALISM! TRAITOR!

Imagine working for a defense contractor and leaving the defense part out when describing your work to intentionally look blue collar for cool points… lol.

I work for myself as a painting contractor and it ain’t easy, people will literally hate you for your true freedom, the ability to say whatever the fuck you want because no boss man is coming for you, it’s really quite a privileged position to be in these days. It also horribly sucks when taxes are due but I find every year I just level up and can come up with it, so ya know it ain’t all bad.

I like my job, I definitely feel lucky to say that.

I know we have to charge a lot to our internal customers even

> Mr. Duncan wrote:

> Imagine working for a defense contractor and leaving the defense part

> out when describing your work to intentionally look blue collar for cool

> points… lol.

I don't know why you keep saying this like it's some trump card or something, when I work under an FAA contract developing the communications console between air-traffic controllers and airplanes and will for the next 20 years or until I leave my company. I was born to 17 year old parents and my entire family is in the steel industry, my dad graduated grad school when I was 6 and he's an anesthetists assistant now.

It's weird how much you try to spread lies about my background and life when you don't know very much about it. You speak with authority on stuff that you don't know anything about.

Please leave me alone. (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I figured out I regularly get items I can mark up 175% And still give a deal...

Recreationally I have been collecting for decades. I have that which u covet...

Today.

2021-11-0700.45.384833569517856313313.jpg

blackthorn cudgle 5 dollars Celtic martial weapon. Lists 175. 1920ish Perry chair pair. 10. Lists 500 each. I had these for years.

I have a nice Chinese lady I bought the cane off of realized her mistake and called me 5xs while on the road.

I'll return the cane repaired professionally add a few things from Peru. Trade up for a taxidermy artic wolf she is so pretty I fell in love I hate murder victims in my hovel but she belongs with me.

Her name will be glenis.

The good witch of the North from the Wizard of oz. Dorothy was my cousin. Judy Garland.

Yes that means so is liza...

If you could get an endangered species hunters licence pay 5k or up to have it mounted... Cost 30 dollars.

I have been a chainsaw dragster trying to do 1 cylinder runs. My multitasking is necessary to slaying it. Part Carney barker horse trader MC auctioneer and lounge act...

I met a wonderful person too she is a kindred soul and we clicked today I am in the clouds. Mopedlar you still ok for CPA work in PA old rather have you make money than a stranger. Same for Sullivan and Sullivan. Legal stuffs.

I will post a pic of glenis Monday or Tuesday when I rescue her.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

O I also have real fun at work I loose track of time 85-90 HR weeks no day off. Still good no stress I meet new cool people sell them stuff and cherrypic before the rest can get anything I am a treasure trap.

Stephen Keller /

^ Sounds like a great racket!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account