Carburetor Vs. Fuel Injection

Ryan @ FortNine has a new video with a clear explanation of old vs. new tech and why you may reconsider your romance with a carburetor. You can't learn any less...

Re: Carburetor Vs. Fuel Injection

My wife’s fuel injected 2021 Vespa starts up in the dead of winter with one hit of the starter button. Unlike my carbureted 2005 Vespa, which you have sit there and hit the starter button at least a dozen times before it will start. Also, my wife’s Vespa is a lot smoother and responsive than mine. I’m trading in my older Vespa for a brand new one this spring. I’m tired of screwing around with carbs. (edited)

There really is no comparison, look at cars, so much more reliable and efficient. No endless cranking, if it doesn't start on the first or second try it's not going to, but when does that ever happen? No question injection is better.

I had that last year carb'd car, it was such a fucker. 76 indipendent vaccum lines to meet emissions. FUCK that.

i dunno if im on board with his fear of ethanol, I'll store shit forever and still have it rip

but it seems like the end conclusion was neither are perfectly tuned, you can tune both, and you can tune a fuel injector with a computer, and it can be tuned for a much broader range of specific scenarios. Most importantly, it can be tuned for cold idle or cold starts, which as lar mentions, makes a big ol difference. the biggest. I got some great carb'd bikes that start reliably, ive had carbd cars forever, fuel injection's just easier. like, every time.

Ted Grant /

Anybody else have that awkward transition phase from carbureted to fuel injected car. I used to pump the shit out of my first injected car on a cold day. Nice not carrying a 12 inch slot Craftsman screwdriver to hold the choke open...

Not to mention carb icing and vapor lock with my carbed air cooled vdubs. (edited)

Man, I forgot about the icing on the air cooleds... this is nice stuff to forget about! :)

i had more trouble with my choke not opening back up, It'd start cold, warm up and just stutter, and I'd have to open the hood to push it closed. I fixed it eventually but it was a pain in the ass but just easy enough to ignore for too long...

Back in the ‘70’s, in the dead of winter, my dad would take off the air filter canister cover and squirt some starting fluid down the carb and then have me pump the pedal and try starting his truck. Every winter, we did this drill on almost a daily basis. He used to freeze his ass off until the damn truck started and idled. (edited)

yea i def would panic a little if i used the last squirt of starter fluid before i bought a new can. didnt always need it, or even often need it, but if it DID need it, you better have it.

I rarely needed starting fluid, except on a '73 Omega, usually just a Bic pen jammed in the carb, but yeah don't miss the dance with the air cleaner when it is freezing outside. I do remember though that on "new" carborated cars, one pump would set the choke and they were reliable starters, not like the clapped out ones I had. :)

Ted Grant /

Starting fluid or ether must be used sparingly and can cause severe engine damage. Have seen a few burned diesel pistons when I worked in transport refrigeration. Of course there's a Youtube video...

Probably Fred /

Rarely did I have problems with carbureted cars in winter because I did maintenance that was required per manual especially following recommendations for cold temps. Though out the 80’s I did snow removal before my main work. I didn’t need to have problems at 4 am,

So every fall I would change the air filter, clean and lube carb, choke parts and linkage, I would make sure heat risers worked, have clean winter grade of oil if recommended,

I would run dry gas and make sure I always had a good battery and connections were cleaned of corrosion, charging system checked and alternator replaced if not perfect, I added ammeter gauges two most vehicles that only had dummy lights.

Most times the tune up and radiator flush and fill and thermostat check would be done at that time too.

I always had the cold starting instructions on the sunvisor for every car, truck or van so wife or anyone else drove it they would have no problems.

On modified cars like my V8 dodge and Chevy van with a marine engine in it etc. I had a manual choke and made sure cables were lubed and moved freely,

On manual shift vehicles I made sure the clutch was adjusted pretty good to last throughout the winter so I didn’t have to crawl or jack up and crawl under vehicles in the snow. I would put the highest recommended tire pressure in the tires too for when the temperature dropped.

One day of maintenance Per vehicle would save countless breakdowns but of course starters would go and sometimes I would change those before winter. Chevy starters were only 19$ or free (I’d use punched out gift certificate cards at auto part stores that gave free store money per purchases)

With fuel injected vehicles that start with just a turn of a key or push button maintenance can be easily deferred until you have a problem because you’re just used to easy starting and with the increased maintenance intervals it’s easy to forget and put them off even farther than recommended.

Ted Grant /

Obviously Probably Fred knows there are two types of maintenance. Preventative and break down...I remember back in the day some muscle car owners had open air filters with no heat stove and headers that deleted the exhaust heat riser valve. They had a lot of fun at minus thirty degrees....

> Probably Fred wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> change the air filter, clean and lube carb, choke parts and linkage, I would make sure heat risers worked, have clean

> winter grade of oil if recommended,

>

> I would run dry gas and make sure I always had a good battery and

> connections were cleaned of corrosion, charging system checked and

> alternator replaced if not perfect, I added ammeter gauges two most

> vehicles that only had dummy lights.

>

That's a helluva a list compared to the fuel injector alternative of... well, drinking a beer and forgetting about all that. I'm kidding, maintenance is key. but also I'm pretty lazy and prefer the liberal use of starter fluid (despite being "bad") and just letting the car waste away anyway.

Like, if i'm using starter fluid on a carb'd car, its and old car and its winter. and if im driving a car here in the winter, the carb, the rods, they're not gonna be the first thing to go. and being honest, i'm not about to dig into body-off frame repairs. So starter fluid it is - the time where maintenance is gonna prolong it's life is long gone, our liver's failed and it's time for hospice, lets just enjoy what we can of whatevers left...

Back in the day, my dad worked 16 hours a day to provide for his family. The last thing he wanted to do was perform preventative maintenance on the family vehicles on his weekends. I’m the exact opposite of my dad when it comes to all my vehicles, but I-understand why he did or didn’t do maintenance on them on his days off. It was a different time back then. (edited)

16 hours a day is a lot of hours

moment of appreciation for unionization

He was self-employed and wanted to make sure all three of his kids went to college, something he never did. He succeeded in his mission. One of my brothers is a medical doctor, another is a pharmacist and yours truly was (technically still is) a Certified Public Accountant.

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> 16 hours a day is a lot of hours

>

> moment of appreciation for unionization (edited)

Probably Fred /

> Moped Lar wrote:

> Back in the day, my dad worked 16 hours a day to provide for his family.

> The last thing he wanted to do was perform preventative maintenance on

> the family vehicles on his weekends. I’m the exact opposite of my dad

> when it comes to all my vehicles, but I-understand why he did or didn’t

> do maintenance on them on his days off. It was a different time back

> then.

I did too, but I probably worked more like 18 to 19 hours a day!

I would do my commercial floor covering job during the day and do side jobs at night plus snow removal in the winter time!

There were some nights I slept only 2-three hours and I still made sure I did my Vehicle maintenance was done because there was no one to pick me up, no one to do it right except for me !

I never regretted the lack of sleep, You can sleep all you want when you’re dead!

The only problem is I have severe insomnia now,

I cannot sleep more than 2 1/2-three hours at a stretch this is been going on for years.

If fall asleep on a chair or a couch after a meal for example when I wake up I don’t know what time of day it is, or where I’m at.

I get angry or crabby if someone wakes me up by turning on a light and the lights nowadays all of these LEDs which are terribly bright,

With a 40-60W incandescent bulb I was able to sleep with the light on but these LEDs seem to go right through my eyelids.

Ted Grant /

I also suffer from insomnia and don't like to take sleeping aids but do find listening to the radio puts me to sleep since I concentrate on the radio and not my brain that refuses to turn off. Sometimes I wake up around 3:00am and I'm wide awake. I'll kill some time on the computer until my eyes get a bit sore then hit the sack again and get my eight hours of sleep in. You can also try white noise or You tube videos that offer hours of ocean surf or rain fall recordings to help you sleep.

Weather channel or anything narrated by Bill Kurtis, (cold case files) will take you down. :)

I'll never forget my old Falcon Futura,1962. NEVER failed to start in very low temps of 15-20 below. All it had to do was turn over twice and it always fired up, even when it had 225K miles on it.

The only thing I did on those less than zero degrees nights was to plug in my dipstick heater because I ran straight 30W oil with STP always, and I hung a light bulb by my battery.

That Falcon was the best!

^Only smart thing you have posted in a while, a 100 watt bulb in a trouble light next to battery was a game changer back when, good thing we don't need to do that now, but it sure worked, did the same more than once. Now all you need is an 1100cca battery for v8's, less for smaller engines, all mine are less than 2 yrs old an all my cars fire off on the first try, synthetic oil helps a bunch too. No gel.

Steve croaked `^Only smart thing you have posted in a while'

I know whereof I speak. Mopeds stock will get WAY over 100 mpg. Remember that posting? Live it......Learn it. LOL!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I think the most critical part of a carb for cold winter starts is the choke pull-off adjustment. Not enough pull-off it’ll load up and soak the plugs. Too much pull-off, it can fall on its face trying to pull away or just stall.

I set the carb up on my truck probably 15 years ago. I had to replace the accelerator pump about 8yrs ago, haven’t touched it since. 2 pumps, turn the key, purrs like a kitchen, drop it in gear and drive away. Being a 1965 2bbl sbc motor, the carb is stupid simple so it just works.

I don’t waist my time doing maintenance on it. I only fix what breaks, which is usually dumb shit, like exhaust or a turn signal bulb. I don’t even change the oil. I just add. I changed the filter about 2 years ago, only because I thought the old may have soon rusted through. It might have been on there for 6 or 7 years.

But yeah, carbs suck, especially anything from the 80’s. Fuel injection was a game changer. I kinda miss old CFI systems.

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Steve croaked `^Only smart thing you have posted in a while'

>

> I know whereof I speak. Mopeds stock will get WAY over 100 mpg. Remember

> that posting? Live it......Learn it. LOL!

Fuck off miserable troll.

I think more folks these days would brag about working less for success. just an interesting shift

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account