Calling all Chevy Metro Fans……

I know there’s a lot of us out there in OT, so I posted the below link. Back in 1993, I owned a red Geo Metro Convertible. It had the three cylinder motor. I didn’t keep it very long because it was not practical for a growing family. I regret getting rid of it.

https://jalopnik.com/this-mint-400-mile-chevrolet-metro-just-hit-bring-a-tra-1847958945?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

Re: Calling all Chevy Metro Fans……

Sweet, at least it's a stick, I had 3 of the first gen Metro's, one an XFI, loved them, but for one thing, the heaters in all 3 SUCKED, like all they could do is barely keep the windshield clear, freezing inside the car. Wonder if the next gen pictured in the link improved on that? I tried everything, new thermostats, flush/fill, even a new radiator in one, no improvement. They were a blast to drive though, killer mpg. Downside, in the rust belt the lower control arms rusted away from the unibody rendering them paperweights. The first gen were also VERY un crashworthy, had 2 sep mechanics beg me to sell them, or if it looked like I was going to be hit to jump from the car!?!, as I would prob be less hurt than riding out a crash? Truly a motorcycle with a roof. I would buy another if I could find one with a stick again, but the only ones around seem to be auto's, and they are very few and far between. When my Tercel returns to it's base elements I will be looking for a Mitsu Mirage, a more modern vehicle in this class of car.

The current high bid is still below its original sticker price. If it can be bought for a few grand over sticker, it’s a decent deal. .

My dad had a 2wd tracker back in 92.

He co-signed on a loan for my cousin, who defaulted, and he got stuck with a pink Storm. I thought the storm was pretty cool, but get why he traded it in on the tracker.

I wish someone was still selling lightweight dead simple cars like these and you didn’t have to jump through legal hoops to import something crazy.

The recently discontinued Nissan Micra was sold in Canada but not in the U.S. Fun, little and reasonably safe. Far superior car compared to a Metro. These sold starting at 9,995 in Canada. They sold a ton of stick shift models in Quebec. Even have a Nissan Micra Cup race event.

https://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/discontinued/micra.html

> Papa _ wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My dad had a 2wd tracker back in 92.

>

> He co-signed on a loan for my cousin, who defaulted, and he got stuck

> with a pink Storm. I thought the storm was pretty cool, but get why he

> traded it in on the tracker.

>

> I wish someone was still selling lightweight dead simple cars like these

> and you didn’t have to jump through legal hoops to import something

> crazy.

Mirage.

Suzuki made the best cars. I mean, they still kinda do. as far as cheap and simple that people want (but not americans). I mean we do have the spark which is a pretty cheap simple small car, adjusted, it's almost exactly what it'd cost to get a swift in 1990, or a geo metro in 2000

they weren't particularly safe tho, and definitely not big, everyone bought the grand vitaras instead of the tiny trackers and eventually suzuki left altogether

they're maybe coming back for 2022 tho... but I'm not holding my breath, and even if they did it's unlikely we get the cool stuff like the alto or wagonR

I'm probably never buying a new car but if I could buy a jimny here, I'd buy it today.

Mom had a 2wd tracker. Thing was awsome. My bud had ford aspire and that was also rad.

I saw that! Kinda dumb how everything that’s really not that cool and was laughed at and trashed back in the day is now super desirable. Sure it’s a pretty cool museum quality metro, but a base model geo metro is not even close to a great car. Even when new back in 89 and most cars sold in the same category were sub 80hp they were still absolute dogs. Suzuki made some good ones, this one is not that.

Will, I want a 2021 jimny so bad!! I was looking into importing a jimny Sierra; basically a 90s samurai, they run about 8-12k, but I decided I don’t really like driving right hand cars on the road especially in a 25 year old kei sized chassis. I wish Suzuki would have figured out a way to stay here. Unfortunately, their attempt at getting into the truck and full size suv market was a horrendous disaster, basically they were Nissan frames and chassis with a Suzuki v6 in it. What garbage, no one asked for that.

Suzuki should be badge engineered by gm again and take over the passenger car department of chevrolet. The sonic would be so much better if it was actually new swift with a 1.5t engine and awd as an option. They’re so bad ass.

daan SJAARLOOS /

> Ted Grant wrote:

> The recently discontinued Nissan Micra was sold in Canada but not in the

> U.S. Fun, little and reasonably safe. Far superior car compared to a

> Metro. These sold starting at 9,995 in Canada. They sold a ton of stick

> shift models in Quebec. Even have a Nissan Micra Cup race event.

>

> https://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/discontinued/micra.html

The mighty Micra! My girlfriend bought one well used with like 150k on it. It was a 95 I think. drove it to work a few years to. We had it for 7 years and I think we spent maybe like 3 or 400 euros on maintenance in all these years. Plus some tires off course. Best car ever. Never ever did any maintenance to the engine except a new set of sparkplugs. No oil changes nothing. Still ran great when I took it to the scrap yard. Still miss it sometimes

daan SJAARLOOS /

I'll ship you guys all the Jimnys and Altos you want but man who wants a wagonR. They look allright from the side but they have a really weird hight to with ratio. They always look like they're about to tip over. Ultimate granny car over here cause of the low price and easy access to get in

The WagonR reminds me of my Honda Element. I wish Honda was still making the Element. Our 2009 Element has 217k miles on it and runs like new. All the ones you see for sale have between 200k to 400k miles on them and still sell for over $5k. Unbelievable! (edited)

@ daan. The Micra is the cockroach of the prairies, tough as nails and impossible to kill. My daughter's 2008 Mazda 3 is rusting and not long for this world. Looking for a clean Micra as a replacement. I drove one and had a blast. A lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I still regret not buying a race version...

The Yaris is/was about the cheapest simplest car we have had in America recently.

I thin the aveo and spark are both Daewoo? Maybe Suzuki clones. I know they have a very Suzuki looking motor.

I can see why these cars don't make it, if you're taking out a loan even $5-10 more a month gets you into a Sonic, fiesta, etc. With real car features. I drive a 300k 20 year old Subaru so I'm not exactly driving car buying demand, and the dealers make nothing on those cars, the margin barely pays for the setup and space on the lot. I do think the electric car thing might revitalize demand for real small cars but it's going to have to be done outside of the traditional dealer system like Tesla or carvana or something.

The Aveo was made by Daewoo. Back in 2007, I bought a very low mileage (5k miles), used 2005 Aveo for my son. I paId around $7k for it. What a piece of garbage. By 45k miles, the automatic tranny was shot and the car ran like crap. Thank god I managed to unload that piece of junk.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> The Yaris is/was about the cheapest simplest car we have had in America

> recently.

>

> I thin the aveo and spark are both Daewoo? Maybe Suzuki clones. I know

> they have a very Suzuki looking motor.

>

> I can see why these cars don't make it, if you're taking out a loan even

> $5-10 more a month gets you into a Sonic, fiesta, etc. With real car

> features. I drive a 300k 20 year old Subaru so I'm not exactly driving

> car buying demand, and the dealers make nothing on those cars, the

> margin barely pays for the setup and space on the lot. I do think the

> electric car thing might revitalize demand for real small cars but it's

> going to have to be done outside of the traditional dealer system like

> Tesla or carvana or something.

Haha yeah a friend of my girlfriend in college got one and it was shocking garbage. I've seen them for sale under $1k like 5-6 years old.

Yaris on the other hand are tanks, a buddy of mine has a long commute and has been driving his since he bought it new in 2008, almost 400k miles and zero maintenance. Hit 2 deer and drove into a snowbank once, he refuses to fix anything on it whatsoever other than zip ties and duct tape. Tires every now and then and oil changes... Sometimes...

HaHa...My daughter's boyfriend had a 2006 Chevy Aveo. Total POS that cost him dearly in the end. They wanted to drive to Montreal for a music festival but the car had a bad rear main seal leak. The trans was pulled to access the seal and repairs came to $2200.00. Next day drove for 6 hours and the car spit out a spark plug. Spent four hundred on a helicoil fix then drove for another ten hours and the trans shit the bed. A garage quoted them $120.00 just to look at it so they called a scrapper that would give them 75 bucks for it. He was a few hours away so they just abandoned it and told him to pick it up for free.

Worst car I ever drove was a 1991 Pontiac LeMans rental. This is another Daewoo POS. This car was a morbid form of entertainment and a insult to GM's LeMans/GTO heritage...

I dated a girl with one of those, (Lee Mans) she was hot, car was NOT.

I almost bought a 1970 Subaru 360 in 2001. I love weird and this 965 pound micro car caught my attention. They were imported by Malcom Bricklin and were never classified as a car being sub 1,000 pounds. I met a collector in Crookston MN. who had around 50 cars. This car and several much nicer ones were stored in a old armory building that had been purchased for one dollar. No electricity or water and a target for thieves. A restored 1970 Olds 442 convertible was stolen and dunked in the river. The Subaru 360 had all of it's glass smashed out. I could not source replacement glass and passed on the car. Was planning on installing a more competent motorcycle motor. Here's a nice Subie 360 that sold on BAT for a insane 50K. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 2K for one...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-subaru-360-sedan-deluxe/

> daan SJAARLOOS wrote:

> > Ted Grant wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The recently discontinued Nissan Micra was sold in Canada but not in

> the

>

> > U.S. Fun, little and reasonably safe. Far superior car compared to a

>

> > Metro. These sold starting at 9,995 in Canada. They sold a ton of

> stick

>

> > shift models in Quebec. Even have a Nissan Micra Cup race event.

>

> >

>

> > https://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/discontinued/micra.html

>

> The mighty Micra! My girlfriend bought one well used with like 150k on

> it. It was a 95 I think. drove it to work a few years to. We had it for

> 7 years and I think we spent maybe like 3 or 400 euros on maintenance in

> all these years. Plus some tires off course. Best car ever. Never ever

> did any maintenance to the engine except a new set of sparkplugs. No

> oil changes nothing. Still ran great when I took it to the scrap yard.

> Still miss it sometimes

How do you own a car for 7 yrs and never change the oil?!?

> Ted Grant wrote:

> I almost bought a 1970 Subaru 360 in 2001. I love weird and this 965

> pound micro car caught my attention. They were imported by Malcom

> Bricklin and were never classified as a car being sub 1,000 pounds. I

> met a collector in Crookston MN. who had around 50 cars. This car and

> several much nicer ones were stored in a old armory building that had

> been purchased for one dollar. No electricity or water and a target for

> thieves. A restored 1970 Olds 442 convertible was stolen and dunked in

> the river. The Subaru 360 had all of it's glass smashed out. I could not

> source replacement glass and passed on the car. Was planning on

> installing a more competent motorcycle motor. Here's a nice Subie 360

> that sold on BAT for a insane 50K. Personally I wouldn't pay more than

> 2K for one...

>

> https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-subaru-360-sedan-deluxe/

Those Subaru's are sweet, when I was 15-16 there was a local pizza place that had 4 of the subie mini vans custom painted for delivery, I hounded that guy unmercifully to sell me one, he never would, cannibalized them for parts until there were but two, took them home and let them rust into the ground in his yard. :( That place was just demolished 6 months ago. Much love for a Yaris, problem is, no one here sells them, like ever, saw one on my buddys used car lot, get this 402k on it! Claimed og engine, 3rd clutch, clean body, sold it for 5k! I would have made an offer, but had just dropped $1,400 into my Tercel. We did not get the Micra here, something called the Versa though. No love for the Mitsu Mirage? Checks all the tiny car boxes, can even get a manual...?

A guy in my neighborhood has a worn out Metro convertible. He found out I have a 05 Subaru Baja that rarely gets driven. He hinted at a trade but I know the full history of the Baja. I have a 16 Honda Fit for my runabout, Subaru gets driven to pick large stuff up or hauling. I've been looking at getting a hardtop convertible Mazda Miata next. But we have Japanese Auto Classics in Richmond VA. Check out their website. Better than naked ladies!

^ I would not make that trade, a metro, even a convert is not half the vehicle a Baja is, and I think those are some of the goofiest things ever built, like an outback was trying to channel a BRAT, useless bed, but an outback underneath, so worth driving. Metro's are straight winter beater/commuter cars, convert is cool because a drop top but they rust worse than all other Metro's...no where on par with an awd Subaru. Link to site?

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> Haha yeah a friend of my girlfriend in college got one and it was

> shocking garbage. I've seen them for sale under $1k like 5-6 years old.

>

> Yaris on the other hand are tanks, a buddy of mine has a long commute

> and has been driving his since he bought it new in 2008, almost 400k

> miles and zero maintenance. Hit 2 deer and drove into a snowbank once,

> he refuses to fix anything on it whatsoever other than zip ties and duct

> tape. Tires every now and then and oil changes... Sometimes...

^ He is my kind of human being! :) But I change oil on the regular!

> Moped Lar wrote:

> The WagonR reminds me of my Honda Element. I wish Honda was still making

> the Element. Our 2009 Element has 217k miles on it and runs like new.

> All the ones you see for sale have between 200k to 400k miles on them

> and still sell for over $5k. Unbelievable!

Not unbelievable at all to me, they are cool, awd, goofy looking, and you can hose out the inside, what's not to love? As much as I love Honda products, have owned very few of their cars, not sure why, but the one I loved best was a either '76 or '77 I can't remember now, Civic cvcc, 4spd, nimble, excellent mpg and just ran, always, dirt simple. Bought for 30 dollars and 36 cents, all the money I had on me when I found it at a garage sale, owner said it was his daughters, she went to school left it, and never came back, it was in the back of garage, asked if it was for sale, he said how much you got? Emptied my pockets, he said sold! I took the wheel off my 10 speed put it in the hatch, it would not close, and while he hunted up the title I poured a bit of gas in the carb and rolled her down the driveway, pop started it to life and drove home in clouds of smoke! :) Valve guides sealed up after a day or so, drove that car for two yrs. Honda's never seemed as rugged as Toyota's, but I would rock an Element ANY day. They still bring good money here as well.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

My daily driver for about the past year and a half has been a 2001 Metro with the 1.3L 16valve big block with auto trans that i got for free. 30mpg/25 with the A/C on. Even though it’s an auto trans, it winds up quick. It’ll smoke a civic all day long. They should have installed 4spd o/d trans in them, could probably squeak out 35-40mpg if they did. The 3spd auto tops out too soon, but i’m glad it’s not a manual trans. Can’t stand shifting a passenger sedan daily driver grocery getter piece of shit.

A/C and heat work great.

Rocker panels are gone, the rest of the car is fine. Nobody makes a repair panel for the last gen metros. Gotta be real careful when i pick it up on the lift. I have to swing the arms way in under the subframe to lift it. I’ve thought of welding a pair of stop sign posts in as rockers.

I had an 89 m/t 2door and a 94 4door hatch auto back in the day. Both 3cyl. I miss them.

daan SJAARLOOS /

> Stephen Keller wrote:

> > daan SJAARLOOS wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Ted Grant wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > The recently discontinued Nissan Micra was sold in Canada but not in

>

> > the

>

> >

>

> > > U.S. Fun, little and reasonably safe. Far superior car compared to a

>

> >

>

> > > Metro. These sold starting at 9,995 in Canada. They sold a ton of

>

> > stick

>

> >

>

> > > shift models in Quebec. Even have a Nissan Micra Cup race event.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > https://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/discontinued/micra.html

>

> >

>

> > The mighty Micra! My girlfriend bought one well used with like 150k on

>

> > it. It was a 95 I think. drove it to work a few years to. We had it

> for

>

> > 7 years and I think we spent maybe like 3 or 400 euros on maintenance

> in

>

> > all these years. Plus some tires off course. Best car ever. Never ever

>

> > did any maintenance to the engine except a new set of sparkplugs.

> No

>

> > oil changes nothing. Still ran great when I took it to the scrap yard.

>

> > Still miss it sometimes

>

> How do you own a car for 7 yrs and never change the oil?!?

Uhm just never did. It didn't use oil not a drop which I always found amazing. But yeah. I'm bad at maintenance for sure. I'm the 'ill fix it when it's broken type'. They are the worst

@ Stephen...I have never seen a Subie 360 van in person but would buy one in a heartbeat. The Mirage is sold here but I never took much interest in it. I saw one review on the Mirage and the underside of the trunk lid was left in primer to reduce production costs. THIS has got my attention. The Yaris GR currently in Britain. Mexico recently got in 300 GR's that sold out in 24 hours. The Yaris GR will not be sold in Canada or the US but we have been promised a Gazoo Racing Corolla hatch with the white hot turbo 3 cylinder. Hope it isn't north of 40K...

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/59591/toyota-gr-yaris-sells-out-24-hours-after-landing-in-mexico/

Petrolicious-Subaru-360-film-gallery-6-1000x563.jpg

> Ted Grant wrote:

> @ Stephen...I have never seen a Subie 360 van in person but would buy

> one in a heartbeat. The Mirage is sold here but I never took much

> interest in it. I saw one review on the Mirage and the underside of the

> trunk lid was left in primer to reduce production costs. THIS has got my

> attention. The Yaris GR currently in Britain. Mexico recently got in 300

> GR's that sold out in 24 hours. The Yaris GR will not be sold in Canada

> or the US but we have been promised a Gazoo Racing Corolla hatch with

> the white hot turbo 3 cylinder. Hope it isn't north of 40K...

>

> https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/59591/toyota-gr-yaris-sells-out-24-hours-after-landing-in-mexico/

Thanks for the pic of the van, not seen one in ever....so damn cool, the blinkers on the roof.... So the Mirage in Canada have a trunk? Like the Yaris 4 door sedan? YUK. The one here, that I have seen anyway are all 4 door hatch backs. They are odd cars, they are totally invisible on the road, look like every car and no other car, the reviews on them kind of suck, not for reliability, but for being "dated" heard them called an early "90's econobox" What's wrong with that? :) I have a "nice" car, and a truck, a car like that is just to run to work and back with good mpg, and front drive tiny cars rock in the snow, so it's a work beater. I just have to wait out the Tercel, the rust will kill it way before the engine ever dies, only has 210k on it...it's become 2 stroke, but I keep the oil full, so it will run forever!

001.jpg

I have only seen 4 door hatch Mirages. The author of the review could have meant hatch. I ran Chevettes for years and they served me well. They were the laughing stock of automotive journalists but they were cheap and reliable as gravity. Your red Tercel is ideal for a winter commuter. I'd just run it until the tin worm kills it. A guy at my work had a red Echo that a duck bonded with. It was the only car in the lot that the duck would rest on...When he sold the car we never saw that duck again...

Love affair-X3.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account