Re: The Bicycle Thread

Ted Grant /

@ Saabsonnetguy...Thanks for posting your collection. Love your white tired bike with the snow background. I assume this is a vintage frame with modern rims and presta valve stems.

That one is a 1956 JC Higgins lightweight built by Puch with modern coaster brake 700c wheels instead of the stock 26".

> Ted Grant wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> @ Saabsonnetguy...Thanks for posting your collection. Love your white

> tired bike with the snow background. I assume this is a vintage frame

> with modern rims and presta valve stems.

coaster brakes! haha yes, i feel like we had this convo, but i love coaster brakes.

I mean, i do sachs pretty hard.

But playing with bikes, I would regularly lace up some 700s to coaster hubs. We sold those bikes, some to friends some to randos, but people liked it, mind you this was peak fixie fanaticism, Premium rush and all. Lace up a coaster hub to a "cool" deep v 700, slam it in a old steel frame with horizontal dropouts, and you got all the "cool" of no cables or deraileur, skids everywhere, AND YOU CAN COAST! very well recieved, I had fun doing it too.

Ted Grant /

I can see the attraction of a coaster hub. Always wanted to build some 700C wheels with a 2 speed kick back coaster brake hub. Heard these are discontinued now but there's still a few kickin around...

https://www.bicycleheaven.org/products/sturmey-archer-2-speed-kick-back-coaster-brake-hub-for-schwinn-huffy-sears-other

Not vintage, but my Turner DHR and Norco Range

B91FBAC7-AEBF-47C6-804A-9D92D337C96F.jpeg
72123AC6-6E3D-4630-A539-188BDE9D410F.jpeg

Just finished up this gt Karakoram “tequila sunrise” not to long ago just made it a 1x7 with some big tires and new bars and called it good

BC404CF0-11B2-441F-BC13-274290C57711.jpeg

Ted Grant /

Nice! Most of my bikes are converted to a single chain ring. The best front derailleur is no derailleur...

> Ted Grant wrote:

> I can see the attraction of a coaster hub. Always wanted to build some

> 700C wheels with a 2 speed kick back coaster brake hub. Heard these are

> discontinued now but there's still a few kickin around...

>

>

> https://www.bicycleheaven.org/products/sturmey-archer-2-speed-kick-back-coaster-brake-hub-for-schwinn-huffy-sears-other

I remember a fella in ATL with one, he was a neat dude - real into bikes, had one of (at least) of basically any weird tech or piece. those are super neat. I dont wanna tryn fix one, coasters are enough of a pain to repair but man, theyre cool. I did a bunch of hub shifter bikes too but never played with the kick back shifts myself.

One of the funnest I built an FGFS bike for mark swoops, i used a BMX microcog fixed hub on 650 rims with bigger tires. The microcogs dont really exist anymore but it was a hub with a little splined piece for custom sprockets, but lets you go smaller than the threaded freewheel (which is ~14t minimum). Then a smaller BMX front crank too, allows a shorter tight crank, better clearance but the coolest is that since it's not threaded you could run it left side drive which was a real neat touch that most folks wouldnt catch but those who did would appreciate. that was a hot bike

here's a funny custom cargo bike we built and used a lot for mobile bike repair stations and hauling loads of whatever - it's a BMX frame flipped and welded in the back of another bike

Resized_Screenshot_20211101-103930_Facebook.jpeg

that cargo bike was a coaster brake too.

This one had some drum brake hubs i laced to some painted 27.5 rims (no brake surface) and fit onto this weird stepthru bike share frame from a failed miami bike share startup. It got some more aggressive forks and seat for like a weird mashup build that wound up being a super fun blast to ride, especially 2 up/

The blue one was one of the coasted fixie-style builds for a friend. super cliche and trendy for the time, super dated now but these both show why it was kinda fun doing up some different sorts of wheel builds.

Resized_Screenshot_20211101-103948_Facebook.jpeg
Screenshot_20211101-104110_Facebook.jpg

ok im done hehe, bikes are fun tho

Screenshot_20211101-103900_Facebook.jpg
20200528_183919.jpg

Somehow it seems like the bikes that cost the least amount of money and are just a jumble of parts that arent meant to work together are the most fun.

Here's one I've been working on lately.

EB65D50D-BC4D-434F-BE11-72A943126991.jpeg

Built this one for a friend. I don’t think I posted it before.

> Saabsonettguy . wrote:

> Here's one I've been working on lately.

>

> https://i.imgur.com/hXHxnVg.jpg

>

> https://i.imgur.com/WhULNw2.jpg

The second one is amazing, that chain-guard....stock or custom made?

I grew up working on bicycles. My dad would go to the dump or get piles of bikes from people and give them to me and my brother. My brother had no mechanical abilities so I had alot of fun. I remember tuning up my dad's friends bikes at like age 12. I used to take buy bikes and put ten speed forks and little kids tiny front wheels on them. Make all kinds of crazy bikes. This was late 80's early 90"s so off road bikes were scarce. We would get the occasional 10 speed early mountain bike with the cool straight bars with built in triangle stem. Non Adjustable. I got into bmx and freestyle stuff. I still have most of the first good bike I got. It's a skyway street styler with purple mags. I need to get all my old stuff from a shed at my fathers as it is starting to fall down and the stuff hasn't touched since the 90's

I’ve had my Raleigh Twenty in a box, all refurbished. Rebuilt wheels, sturmey etc.

I think it will stay in the box until I get my hands on a solex engine

I've been into recumbent's for a few years, me and the wife do a few hundred miles on out Terra Trikes a year. Had a few fast short wheelbase bents as well. I ride this old Burley Koosah a few miles a week for exercise. It's a long wheelbase and the frame is a passive suspension, it floats like a Cadillac .

B2.jpg

> Stephen Keller wrote:

> > Saabsonettguy . wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Here's one I've been working on lately.

>

> >

>

> > https://i.imgur.com/hXHxnVg.jpg

>

> >

>

> > https://i.imgur.com/WhULNw2.jpg

>

> The second one is amazing, that chain-guard....stock or custom made?

Same bike, that's just before and after. The chain guard is from a 20's ladies bike, they aren't too hard to find. (edited)

I bought this nifty thing yesterday at a clearance sale, just have to find a pump that will fit in between those tiny spokes and it should be ready to go.

IMG_20211125_145343.jpg
IMG_20211125_150230.jpg

Ted Grant /

@ Saabsonnettguy...Nice work! I had no idea the Huffy was transformed with the two top bars. I would not think of cutting out then grafting in bars like that.

My latest project is a Union brand Omafiets frame I pulled out of the river. It was submegred for a while since there are zebra mussels stuck to it but the botton bracket bearings are still good. I have 700c wheels and all parts to complete it but I don't have front forks. The steering tube is 10.25 inches so this will be a challenge.

TED_9883.jpg

> Saabsonettguy . wrote:

> > Stephen Keller wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Saabsonettguy . wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Here's one I've been working on lately.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > https://i.imgur.com/hXHxnVg.jpg

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > https://i.imgur.com/WhULNw2.jpg

>

> >

>

> > The second one is amazing, that chain-guard....stock or custom made?

>

> Same bike, that's just before and after. The chain guard is from a 20's

> ladies bike, they aren't too hard to find.

STFU...... color me super impressed!

> Ted Grant wrote:

> @ Saabsonnettguy...Nice work! I had no idea the Huffy was transformed

> with the two top bars. I would not think of cutting out then grafting in

> bars like that.

>

> My latest project is a Union brand Omafiets frame I pulled out of the

> river. It was submegred for a while since there are zebra mussels stuck

> to it but the botton bracket bearings are still good. I have 700c

> wheels and all parts to complete it but I don't have front forks. The

> steering tube is 10.25 inches so this will be a challenge.

That's a classy frame design. Maybe you can find a fork from a real tall mens frame, or a nos fork with an uncut steerer.

Ted Grant /

I concur. It is a classy frame design dating back to 1904. I'm also a sucker for lugged frames and this one has some fancy lug joints. I found a used fork at a community bike shop but it was about 10 mm short. I ended up trimming the frames steering tube and got it to work. I added side pull caliper brakes and built it as a single speed. This is for my daughter that had her bike stolen recently. If she likes it I'll repaint it in vintage cream and light green colors she likes. That's the beauty of lugged frames...They are easy to two tone.

TED_9889.jpg

4E96ABF8-E640-4C30-B7C6-269820A7F98D.jpeg

Out in Beaufort, SC today.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account