Do You Even Steak, Bro?

Sunday night dinner. Isn’t it absolutely beautiful?

2CA7DF16-3CBF-411F-9349-15A6A7ACB03C.jpeg

This was a 21 day aged Porterhouse (T-Bone) from a three year old American Lowline Angus bull, raised by me. I know everything that went into this beef. Grass fed on my pasture, and finished on corn, oats, barley, and peas for 100 days. Look at that marbling!

0F743E5C-FD18-4EAF-870D-147F78151025.jpeg

This steak weighed in at 39 ounces, that’s 2 pounds 7 ounces! It was 1-3/4” thick, and I had to use the big 12” cast iron skillet. Why cook a steak like this in a skillet? It’s all about that sear, baby. And temperature control. I like my steak Chicago Blue, or rare at most. Sometimes I use charcoal, but I cook directly on the coals on a wire rack so the heat is directly against the meat. But a screaming hot skillet or flat top grill is ideal.

I took the steak out of the fridge around 11 Sunday morning, dried it with paper towels, seasoned generously with kosher salt and left it on the counter to come to room temp. As the meat absorbs the salt, the salt draws excess water out of the surface of the meat. This allows the meat to sear and the proteins to caramelize, rather than steam the surface when you put it on the heat. I let it sit for 6 or 7 hours.

When it was time to cook, I seasoned the steak with a generous amount of black pepper. Then I got the skillet scorching hot, added a big pat of butter, and threw it in the pan. Three and a half minutes per side. Another pat of butter when I flipped it. After the second side was cooked, I held it on edge with tongs and seared the fat on the edge. I love the crispy fat edges. Then it needed to rest for at least 10 minutes before digging in. Gotta let the juices redistribute after the shock of high heat cooking.

F6D25991-0AC7-4796-8707-B785DC51345D.jpeg

I served it topped with wild foraged Chanterelle and Cremini mushrooms sautéed in butter, garlic and onions. Finished with shaved black truffle. Accompanied by twice-baked, smashed Yukon Gold potatoes with Parmesan and roasted garlic, and roasted Normandy vegetables.

But it was a three year old bull! Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is Lowline beef. Some of the best in the world. The local butcher sells Lowline steaks for $28-30/pound. It ain’t Wagyu, but it’s phenomenal! The flavor of this particular animal is out of this world! It has a stronger “Beef” flavor, but no gaminess, with wonderful flavor notes gained through the aging process. And so, so tender. The turning hook would tear out when I flipped it, and the tenderloin section would literally fall apart when you tried to cut with a steak knife. I could literally effortlessly pull it apart with my fingers. It’s out of this world. My wife and I shared it, and barely ate half of it. What a wonderful meal, and I am so grateful for it!

Re: Do You Even Steak, Bro?

An Ohio shaped steak. That should be a big deal back in the buckeye state.

Looks amazing. Thanks for the complete write-up. Sometimes my steaks come ot better than others. Sometimes they sit out with seasoning on them longer before grilling. I never really thought about how the salt dried the surface meat some.

Next steak will have these steps.

punkrock randy /

Wow, I don’t think anyone can beat your meat.

Looks good except not fully cooked..LOL!

Nice I use to like pan searing. Went back to basics.

Big Green Egg Cowboy Charcoal 450*F

Salt pepper 3 min a side….bam done

I was about done eating when I was reading this….

C2C8A4DD-66ED-4144-AA4E-182C76BCD738.jpeg

> Don Ohio wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks good except not fully cooked..LOL!

Sometimes I cut a piece off before I cook it and eat it cold and raw. And I never, ever, ever cook beef or lamb past mid rare. Any more done than that is ruined, and I refuse to ruin a $100 steak. I like a steak to be cool in the center. It’s best leftover and cold the next day. Also, I eat raw fish & oysters, and I don’t cook pork well done; still needs to have some pink.

Damn! That looks tasty...Can't remember the last time I had a good steak. In Canada steaks and all meats are advertised in kilograms. So 30 bucks a pound equates to 66 bucks a kilogram. I just can't wrap my head around any meat costing that much. The specialty steak restaurants must really be hurting at these prices. I'll stick with eating deer balls...always under a buck. Thanks for sharing...

Fuck yeah man. Looks amazing. Got the only mom and pops store around here and they have the "can't beat our meat" best we sell and the rest we eat". Hard to get good meat around here now at a decent price. He only sell t-bone, strip, and sometimes sirloin. It's all usually pretty good. Strip is around 13 a lb.

> Seth B wrote:

> > Don Ohio wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Looks good except not fully cooked..LOL!

>

> Sometimes I cut a piece off before I cook it and eat it cold and raw.

> And I never, ever, ever cook beef or lamb past mid rare. Any more done

> than that is ruined, and I refuse to ruin a $100 steak. I like a steak

> to be cool in the center. It’s best leftover and cold the next day.

> Also, I eat raw fish & oysters, and I don’t cook pork well done; still

> needs to have some pink.

^ This is 100% correct, med rare is PERFECT, that looked amazing, great job!

Even vegans know more about meat than that racist rubbermuncher.

It looks great Seth.

punkrock randy /

I like the tri tip. Such an amazing cut of beef. I get em at the farmers market here in town👍🏼👍🏼

0EEABECC-DBA4-4A94-8B04-F9AE235C08E4.jpeg
2036DCAA-23CD-44C7-93EA-506DB37467DC.jpeg

Looks delicious!^^ Tri tip is so full of flavor!

If ya wanna try something cheap and fun, smoke a chuck roast instead of making pot roast from it. Poor man’s brisket. Makes great “burnt ends”.

Did some pork belly burnt ends.

20210815_140229.jpg

> Bas Autowas wrote:

> Even vegans know more about meat than that racist rubbermuncher.

>

> It looks great Seth.

Thanks for my morning laugh. I needed that. It does look excellent.

I like the cut and shape of that tri tip Randy.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I wish I could afford steak...

Hickory charcoal. Great pickle blue cheese crumble Mmmm ...

I was from a large family. Aside from the table mannerisms of a convict, I prefer medium well. But had Pittsburghed steak

I can’t afford it right now either. Just feeding my tile saw and finishing the floor in my foyer.

I did make some bomb salsbury steak last night. Boiled potatoes and heated some fresh baby asparagus up in the skillet with the leftover grease.

Cooked the hell out of that meat.

Kinda makes me think, could you take an average over done grilled steak and bake it in gravy for an hour? would it transform back into something tender? Or just be a wet rubber puck?

Buy when its on sale and it cost dirt. Brought this home and cut into two pieces to freeze. Will go on a rotisserie on the grill for a few hours and fall apart. At least enough to eat of off for a couple weeks.

20211003_180346.jpg

(edited)

I never crave steak but man, I can def enjoy a good one

Yeah, you might as well eat it raw,Seth.

Fuck off racist shitbag.

You wanna quote JUST ONE post I've made that IMPLIES I'm racist, Mr. know-nothing?

I didn't think so,Humbug.

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Yeah, you might as well eat it raw,Seth.

Duh. Sometimes I do. Raw beef is delicious, son.

All the threads in which you spouted your racist, mysogynistic and homophobic bullshit have luckily been deleted, which you should also do with your account.

Fuck off.

That's an out you can take because you can't find anything. HaHaHaaaaa! I have posts going back to 2002.

You won't find anything, period,Boy.

^ fuck off you miserable troll.

Ok so a follow up. Not sure how many hours this will take but here goes. Cut 19 pound brisket in half and now cooking half of it on the rotisserie. Brisket is unforgiving unlike pork shoulder.

20211107_124249.jpg

(edited)

You get it right, it's going to be awesome!

I smoked three whole briskets this weekend for a party I threw. I had to feed 50 hungry people. I started the offset smoker about 9:30 Friday evening, and stayed up all night feeding it applewood chunks from the local orchard. Trimmed & Seasoned the briskets with SPG , smoked at 250* until internal temp was ~165, then wrapped in pink butcher paper. Continued smoking until buttery-tender. About 195-205. Finished at noon Saturday. Left them wrapped, put them in a cooler with no ice to rest & stay warm. Served at 2:00. Perfect Texas style brisket. The ONLY beef acceptable to eat cooked well done. We’ll, Brisket & braised short ribs, that is.

Now I want short ribs. Gonna go pull some out of the freezer for one evening this week. Good idea! Thanks for helping me think of it!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Omg there's a provisioner near the farm 30 day dry aged steaks.

It's like heaven.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account