Other Vices / Collections

Gear-3184-XL.jpg
Rotel-6-X2.jpg

Aside from mopeds what other toys are you guys holding on to and taking to the grave. I still have stereo gear I bought new in 1976 and will never part with it. Many silver faced 70's gear has come and gone but they'll have to pry my Kenwood receivers out of my cold dead hands. My wife tolerates a few portable antique radios around and they are still in use though Alexa is the clear favorite. Back in the mid 70's there was a lot of free government grants for students. The choice was Europe or stereo gear and I stayed home. The Kenwood KR 9940 four channel lights up the room and is a thing of beauty. The newer black face plastic gear has no soul. Some pics of the collection. Whatever you're into post it here and share a little history of your collectibles...Cheers.

Zenith.jpg

Re: Other Vices / Collections

Not really a collection, but I do enjoy my big Vespa scooters.

B056092B-383E-4E20-95D2-4CC03626529F.jpeg

Ted Grant /

Nice! My wife would call these cute while calling our Sachs mopeds old. I'm still trying to buy a early 80's Serveta scooter from a women in our neighborhood. It's 200 cc and is complete but weathered. At least 25% of her garage roof is open and rotting. The Serveta's were made in Spain under licence to Lambretta. Always loved the rear spare tire...Thanks for your reply....Cheers.

serveta.jpg

Noice! I that a zenith Transoceanic? Badass radios! That one is much prettier than the models I've worked on. Lol

I have a problem with electronics. Tube equipment is what I'm most comfortable with. 40's-60's

Have a few too many high end turntables and a drawer full of cartridges. My thorens td160 and Denon Dp30L MkII are my favorite. Sadly sold off most of my record collection a decade ago. Mostly 70s rock, got tired of them....wish I hadn't, diddnt realize at 21 that my tastes would roll back around.lol

Last passion hobby was laserdiscs. I have over 100 now. I prefer the analog look much more than HD stuff. It's better than dvd quality wise tho. Held up really well. Especially like showing people the original edits of the star wars trilogy without all the added guff from George's mid life crisis in the late 90's.

Ohh and about 100 film cameras. At least one of every model polaroid produced from 49'-when they shut down in 09'. A few 4x5's, leicas, Zeiss ikon, hassleblads. My favorite is my polaroid 600se, derived from the mamiya universal press. Compact rangefinder camera that I can hand hold and shoot 35mm,120,4x5,sheetfilm and my dwindling stock of polaroid 669 peel apart film.

Wayyyyyy to many light meters

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ted Grant Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice! My wife would call these cute while calling our Sachs mopeds old.

> I'm still trying to buy a early 80's Serveta scooter from a women in our

> neighborhood. It's 200 cc and is complete but weathered. At least 25% of

> her garage roof is open and rotting. The Serveta's were made in Spain

> under licence to Lambretta. Always loved the rear spare tire...Thanks

> for your reply....Cheers.

I would buy a Serveta in a heart beat, here in NE finding a decent large frame lambretta is very difficult. For now I am content with my Lambretta Cento and Vespa 50 Special, but I am always keeping my eye out for the 125/150 full size to round out my hardbody scoot stuff

20190928_122117.jpg

im just a train nut

Ted Grant /

Hey Aaron...Looks like we're cut from the same cloth. We might even be related...Dad sure got around on that Whizzer. Yes that is a 1968 Zenith Trans Oceanic Royal model 7000-1. Picked it up for four bucks at a garage sale. All I did was spray the pots and she was good to go. It was missing the AC power cord but a old Phillips shaver cord worked well. This radio is one of the very last point to point hand soldered radios produced in the USA. We will never see this quality again. Here's a pic of stuff I have in storage. A mid 70's realistic shortwave receiver a 1964 Kuba portable and a mid 70's Panasonic RF 2200. The Select a Tena was bought new for around 40 bucks. They were made in Hales Corners Wisconsin and are now obsolete. I had a Thorens TD 166 I bought new bought was sold with my vinyl collection. I also collect analog film cameras and have sold may off. Still hanging onto my Minolta's SRT 200 series 35 mm. The correct number of light meters is N + 1. I only shoot digital now and have a Nikon D200, D700 and a battle hardened D2x. If I can find some pics of my older cameras I'll post them up...Thanks for your reply...Stay positive and test negative...Cheers.

whizzer-50.jpg
nikon 700.jpg

Ted Grant /

> Fred Braue Wrote:

> >

> im just a train nut

And a perfectly well adjusted nut. My brother now deceased collected small scale "Brass" locomotives all in the hundreds of dollars. His wife questioned his spending but he could have just as easily been blowing coke up his nose. Life is short so buy what you like and enjoy it...Thanks for your reply...

Pushrod Fifty /

Collected a bunch of film cameras and I have shot with some of them. I have a few good shooters, mostly folders. Also a few 78 rpm Victrola and electric phonos that I restored. It's getting harder to find new records but I have collected about 2000 of them. A 55 Hudson Wasp that I got to be a good runner. Always a motorcycle and moped or two in the works also.

16312249738792820875139870256626.jpg
16312250417055965239536004318098.jpg
20210329_184327.jpg

Ted Grant /

Sweet 55 Hudson Wasp. I now gravitate to more common cars that people actually drove back in the day. Drives me nuts that every big budget movie set in the 50's only has 55 and 57 Belair's and first gen. T birds running around. My buddies 62 Belair 4 door sedan gets more work in the movies then his 64 Impala SS convert. We both built our cars in the early 80's and I remember a new factory grille for 42.00. Cost me around 25 K to build my 64 hardtop back then and I imagine around 70 to 80 K is now required. I will never build a car again. Mopeds from now on....LOL. Cheers.

64 Impala SS.jpg
64 SS side.jpg
64 SS interior.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I used to buy 60s Chevys back in the 80s for $100 to $400 that I found in the Bargain News and fix them into good runners. Had them all registered. Had a 63 Impala 4 door, 70 Impala 2 door, 61 Biscayne 2 door, and a 66 Chevelle 4 door. Fun times.

Ted Grant /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I used to buy 60s Chevys back in the 80s for $100 to $400 that I found

> in the Bargain News and fix them into good runners. Had them all

> registered. Had a 63 Impala 4 door, 70 Impala 2 door, 61 Biscayne 2

> door, and a 66 Chevelle 4 door. Fun times.

Ah...Yes. The good old days when 100.00 bought you a car. Bought a 68 Biscayne 2 door post for 100.00. The seats weer tossed and the interior was loaded with John Deere tractor parts. The owner said it was a lot of work to get all the parts out but I could have the car for 100.00. Had rusty quarters and a tired 307 power glide but I fixed that with a 427 turbo 400 and 3:36 posi rear. Actually had a guy in Minnesota follow me for about 20 miles. Said he hadn't seen one in ages and wanted some pics. It seemed like a lot of money but I picked up a 64 Belair post with a 283 power glide. Car was built in Van Nuyes and had weird California emissions. My buddies son is presently building a 67 Belair wagon. Prices on good used and NOS parts is insane. Shipping is also a killer. I got out at the right time...Thanks for your reply...Cheers.

68 Biscayne.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Those cars were cheap and plentifull and now they are 20k.

I have been a collector all my life. I have always been into silverface receivers. I have a get now but sold all my good stuff when the market got hot. Could pick up marantz receivers for $20 at a yard sale and sell for $350 all day. Also any direct drive turn table I could get my hands on. I still buying I think I can make a buck. I know enough about alot of things to be dangerous. Covid has kept me away from yard sales and flea markets and I try not to impulse buy. I have alot of stuff I used to realy love but now I'm not into as much so I need to sort through and sell it off. I think I'm mostly into my vw and larger motorbikes now. I still have a bunch of small odd ball stuff but it is just not feasible to register and insure all for the short riding season we get here.

Ted Grant /

Hello Satan...I used to move a lot of big Marantz receivers with the horizontal tuning wheels. Most came from yard sales since most thrift stores here are corrupt and feed their friends all the good stuff thru the back door. I hardly buy silver faced any more since the market is cold. If it doesn't magically link to their newest I phone they don't want it. Also most of the receivers I bought in the last few years needed capacitors and sometimes re stringing the tuner was required. I see you're in Maine which can get some really shitty weather but you don't want to live in Manitoba. Not much for terrain basically flat as hell. You can stand on a beer can and see the North pole. We only have one insurance provider (government) and they don't like motorcycles. The figure you'll eventually lose a arm or leg and be a dependent for life. I pay $382.00 per season for the moped. Sport bikes and anything over 500 cc is 1K plus for insurance. You pay basically full fare for use between April and October. Never been to Maine but it's on my bucket list. Would love to do a Fall colors tour....Cheers.

^ That ins rate is insane! I pay like $ 70.00 per bike, license tabs are $13.00 per year...that's what happens when there is no competition.

Ted Grant /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ That ins rate is insane! I pay like $ 70.00 per bike, license tabs are

> $13.00 per year...that's what happens when there is no competition.

So you want to ride a Kawasaki Ninja...The Ninja riders are a close second to our prime source of organ donors...Snow mobile fanatics. Usually they decapitate themselves on a fence then the organs are nicely preserved on ice. I calculated the cost of insuring a Ninja with my stellar driving record. Forty bucks cheaper than last year!!!! Woot!

https://apps.mpi.mb.ca/irc/estimate.asp?doCalc=Y&#BotEstimate

^ Rate I listed was for a moped, bigger bikes cost more, but not like you are paying. I don't snowmobile, never saw the draw of going really fast into the howling winter wind...lol, to each their own. (edited)

Ted Grant /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ Rate I listed was for a moped, bigger bikes cost more, but not like

> you are paying. I don't snowmobile, never saw the draw of going really

> fast into the howling winter wind...lol, to each their own.

Would be interesting to compare the cost of insuring a 2021 Ninja H2 in Minnesota. The price I calculated was 4,292.00 per year with my maximum discount of 33% applied. Bad drivers pay much more for insurance and their driver's licence. You guys have a lot more choices for insurance. Enjoy your freedom...

Here’s my Marantz 2230 Receiver. I’ve owned it since 1978. I stream satellite radio through it using my iPhone and a Bluetooth adapter/receiver meant for use with boat radios. Works and sounds beautifully. It’s a combination of older, far superior sound technology with modern day tech. Best of both worlds.

7C215FBB-13A0-4E37-9218-1C8A56E85BD7.jpeg

> Ted Grant Wrote:

> Hello Satan...I used to move a lot of big Marantz receivers with the

> horizontal tuning wheels. Most came from yard sales since most thrift

> stores here are corrupt and feed their friends all the good stuff thru

> the back door. I hardly buy silver faced any more since the market is

> cold. If it doesn't magically link to their newest I phone they don't

> want it. Also most of the receivers I bought in the last few years

> needed capacitors and sometimes re stringing the tuner was required. I

> see you're in Maine which can get some really shitty weather but you

> don't want to live in Manitoba. Not much for terrain basically flat as

> hell. You can stand on a beer can and see the North pole. We only have

> one insurance provider (government) and they don't like motorcycles. The

> figure you'll eventually lose a arm or leg and be a dependent for life.

> I pay $382.00 per season for the moped. Sport bikes and anything over

> 500 cc is 1K plus for insurance. You pay basically full fare for use

> between April and October. Never been to Maine but it's on my bucket

> list. Would love to do a Fall colors tour....Cheers. (edited)

Ted Grant /

Nice 2230! I had a couple of them that I used for a couple of months then sold. The tuning flywheel had a nice weight to it and was very smooth. In the 70's it was a quality/value war which benefited the consumer. All of these receivers were engineered to emulate a tube amplifier. This produced a "warm" tone that is difficult to quantify. My Kenwood receivers have a damping factor of 50 @ 8 ohms. In the 80's it was a specifications war and the damping factor was reduced. The amps sounded too clean and sterile for my tastes. Had a Yamaha amp with fantastic specs but I hated the sound from it. I would never sell that 2230. You can get LED conversion kits in your choice of colors to back light the frequency scale. Thanks for your reply and happy listening!...Cheers.

> Ted Grant Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^ Rate I listed was for a moped, bigger bikes cost more, but not like

>

> > you are paying. I don't snowmobile, never saw the draw of going really

>

> > fast into the howling winter wind...lol, to each their own.

>

> Would be interesting to compare the cost of insuring a 2021 Ninja H2 in

> Minnesota. The price I calculated was 4,292.00 per year with my maximum

> discount of 33% applied. Bad drivers pay much more for insurance and

> their driver's licence. You guys have a lot more choices for insurance.

> Enjoy your freedom...

I do, but I feel many here take advantage of it/are spoiled by it/don't deserve it. I think drivers would actually pay more attention if they had to really pay up for accidents, most 18-20 yo kids could not afford to operate race bikes with plates until they were older and more experienced. You would also really have to "want" a brand new sport bike to pay so much to insure it, rather than getting one on payments to ride for a summer until you either die or get bored with it and sell it at a loss in the fall as many do here.

I’d never sell my 2230. I’ve been dragging it all over the country for the last 43 years. It makes no sense to part with it now. I recently replaced all the backlit bulbs with original non-led bulbs. I wanted to keep it as close to the original look as possible.

> Ted Grant Wrote:

> Nice 2230! I had a couple of them that I used for a couple of months

> then sold. The tuning flywheel had a nice weight to it and was very

> smooth. In the 70's it was a quality/value war which benefited the

> consumer. All of these receivers were engineered to emulate a tube

> amplifier. This produced a "warm" tone that is difficult to quantify. My

> Kenwood receivers have a damping factor of 50 @ 8 ohms. In the 80's it

> was a specifications war and the damping factor was reduced. The amps

> sounded too clean and sterile for my tastes. Had a Yamaha amp with

> fantastic specs but I hated the sound from it. I would never sell that

> 2230. You can get LED conversion kits in your choice of colors to back

> light the frequency scale. Thanks for your reply and happy

> listening!...Cheers.

Oooh, nice. I had a Marantz 2230 too at one point and loved it. I repaired it's various problems for a while, but ended up swapping it for something newer about a decade ago. I loved it though.

> Simon King Wrote:

> Oooh, nice. I had a Marantz 2230 too at one point and loved it. I

> repaired it's various problems for a while, but ended up swapping it for

> something newer about a decade ago. I loved it though.

Same here. I got a 2230 at a yard sale for $20. Realy enjoyed it but the $350 I sold it for was worth it. I now have a mid 80's Harmon cardon that sounds pretty good but not as much tone blasting living colors ,cult of personality on viynl. Sounds so good with the marantz

Let's see........ what do I collect .....well I do have 5 cars, 2 tractors, a stock trailer, and a work trailer made from the bed of a late 40s Dodge pick up.. a few farm implements, and then there's all my gear. Piano rig, new fabulous Hammond B3 with the Leslie ( hells yes ) my PA, the Roland amp for the piano rig, my '68 Fender Princeton that I've had since '75, just all that stuff, a few guitars, then there's the furniture problem that I have. Furniture, and big damned antique radios with the gorgeous Art Deco cabinetry, and my Victrola, and the antique upright piano that has been with me for 51 years. It has literally been coast to coast with me. Haul one of THOSE around for a few decades.......

Then there's tools, OMG, antique tools, and clothes from India, and lamps and rugs - I have a real problem with them......and massive cool stuff like my gorgeous 76 Lincoln Continental Town Car, complete with Cartier tube radio......yeah, Mr. Keller is breaking out in a sweat right now, just reading about it. ( Aren't you, Stephen ? ) Bought it from Mom and Dad. Several antique tube radios ( electric ), and coffee pots. Oh man, I

can spot a badass percolator from across a warehouse. I love Art Deco percolators. I have a few of those........really anything cool. A 1972 Aristocrat Landmaster - the rarest of the rare, and a couple of peds. 78 Maxi Luxe and a 95 Kinetic. But mostly antique stuff - from primitives to sublime Art Deco....... everyone here is so much fun. LOVE all the silver faced stereo gear. Man that stuff was made for vinyl and for cranking it. Great fun thread Ted, thank you. Its fun to read about everyone's stuff .......

^ Yes Trudy.....you got me! :) That car is a thing of beauty!

Ted Grant /

Hey Trudy... You're welcome! Glad you're enjoying this thread. Love your 72 Aristocrat Landmaster. While many people question the colors of this era I treasure them. Harvest gold , Avocado green appliances ...Yes please. Hell I wish we had our old pink stove back from the 60's. I also love art deco and had a 31 Chevy three window coupe that my buddy now owns. I still prefer the style of the 1933 to 1938 American cars. I once bought some 31 parts off a beet farmer and he had a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr V12 three window coupe. I was gob smacked. Radical in it's day it had a one piece windshield and was unit body construction. Decades ahead of it's time. Never heard of a Cartier tube radio in the 70's. Sounds like a gorgeous car. If memory serves Frank Cannon had a sweet 76 Town Car in the "Cannon" series. Happy Trails!...

^ Cannon drove The "Mark" series Lincolns, 2 drs. From a '71 Mark III to a '76 Mark IV. (Because I'm a font of useless information re: Lincolns).

> Fred Braue Wrote:

> >

> im just a train nut

^ Very impressive, I love a good layout, my cousins had a huge one in their basement in the '70's, you had to crawl under it to get to the center with the controls, I was too young to run it, but watched it for hrs.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account