Re: Favorite Foreign Films

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Anime

7 seeds

No sword fighting or giant robots or magic crap. Just a twisted story that would kill a movie fx co. Like life of pi did.

Ted Grant /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anime

>

> 7 seeds

>

> No sword fighting or giant robots or magic crap. Just a twisted story

> that would kill a movie fx co. Like life of pi did.

Thanks for the recommendation. I passed it on to my daughters that love Manga. Personally find it awkward to read a book backwards...Cheers.

Ted Grant /

The Crying Game 1992 Imdb. 7.3 UK Japan

Forest Whitaker looks so young in this one. Powerful film...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Omg NZ.

Dick: The devil dared me to.

I think it's a mash of the jerk hot rod and black adder ...

Ted Grant /

Lars and the real girl 2007 Imdb. 7.3 Canada

Ted Grant /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Omg NZ.

>

> Dick: The devil dared me to.

>

> I think it's a mash of the jerk hot rod and black adder ...

Both look interesting and definitely not conventional...Thanks!

Steak

Weird French film with lots of great electro from Tellier, Oizo et Sebastian, three French electro kings.

Free on YouTube with English subs, what more could you want.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Ted Grant /

Once were Warriors. 1994 Imdb 7.9 New Zealand. The story of a Maori native family in New Zealand afflicted with poverty, alcoholism and domestic violence. My buddy had to stop watching this movie. Warning: Brutal beat down scene...

Ted Grant /

Thanks for all of your replies! The leaves are turning color here and I'm ready to hunker down and watch some movies. I highly recommend:

Fireworks (Hana-Bi) 1997 Imdb 7.8 Japan.

A Japanese masterpiece

Kitano's Hana-bi is something quite special, a film where images of violence and beauty are juxtaposed. The violence is deadly, but certainly not gratuitous or pointless. The beauty is the love story, the happiness between a cop and his wife.

Ted Grant /

Cinema Paradiso 1988 Imdb 8.5 Italy

You're gonna cry...Seriously... you're gonna cry.

Ted Grant /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Steak

>

> Weird French film with lots of great electro from Tellier, Oizo et

> Sebastian, three French electro kings.

>

> Free on YouTube with English subs, what more could you want.

Better sex and mo' mopeds....Thanks Bas!

>

>

Don't forget all the great and bizarre Takeshi Miike films. If you're not into the gore and horror, check out Visitor Q and the Happiness of the Katikuris.

Ted Grant /

> baird co Wrote:

> Don't forget all the great and bizarre Takeshi Miike films. If you're

> not into the gore and horror, check out Visitor Q and the Happiness of

> the Katikuris.

You have my attention. Not into horror but will check this out....Thanks!

Ted Grant /

The Big Blue 1988 Imdb. 7.6 France / Italy

The bizarre world of free diving. How's he going to breathe?...He won't.

Grave of the Fireflies 1988

Studio ghibli film centered on a brother and sister in Japan during the end of WWII

The saddest film I have ever seen. You will cry

Ted Grant /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Grave of the Fireflies 1988

>

> Studio ghibli film centered on a brother and sister in Japan during the

> end of WWII

>

> The saddest film I have ever seen. You will cry

Maybe...Maybe not. I'm pretty shallow and it takes six guys to give me a haircut. Thanks for the rec. and I'll check it out....Cheers.

Brad William /

Black Orpheus

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Pather Panchali

Wages of Fear

Spirit of the Beehive

Walkabout

I like movies that induce an atmosphere and emotion that later I come to identify with that movie... almost ineffably and beyond the story itself. Sound and vision and Proustian. (edited)

Ted Grant /

Thanks for the recommendations! Spirit of the Beehive looks very interesting....Cheers.

there is a film called "taxedermia" it is on youtube. i want you, this movie is quite fucked up, and definitely not for children. if you however, like myself, enjoy watching "fucked up shit," from time to time, check this mother fucker out. it is FUCKING FUCKED UPPER THAN FUCK!

Ted Grant /

Thanks. Hard to believe it could be more fucked up than Sweet movie but I'm all in!!!

If you have 40 minutes to kill for some all out stupidity, check out "Italian spiderman."

It's not even foreign. Indie dudes just made it look that way.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

... (edited)

Just watched "Titane."

French film about a psycho chick who fucks a car and gets pregnant. (No, that's not a typo.)

I was really looking forward to seeing this after seeing the reviews and trailers.

As far as weird movies made just for the sake of weirdness, this one's up there.

I'm not sure if I liked it or hated it...

Ted Grant /

> baird co wrote:

> Just watched "Titane."

>

> French film about a psycho chick who fucks a car and gets pregnant. (No,

> that's not a typo.)

>

> I was really looking forward to seeing this after seeing the reviews and

> trailers.

>

> As far as weird movies made just for the sake of weirdness, this one's

> up there.

>

> I'm not sure if I liked it or hated it...

I liked it. Very bold and daring cinematic experience. Easily the most twisted movie I've seen this year. Was expecting a mechanical monster to be delivered after her sexual encounter with the Sedan De Ville. At the film's premiere there were several walk outs in the first 15 minutes. Don't take the kids!...LOL.

Ted Grant /

I forgot about this one. "Raw" Imdb 7.0 France/Belgium. A very shocking, surreal and visceral coming of age movie. Nothing like I experienced in college...Definitely not for the kids...

Ted Grant /

Something a little more family oriented. I saw " The Forgotten Battle" recently and really enjoyed it. One of the best and realistic WWII movies in a long time. My wife who was born in Holland really liked it. Her parents endured occupied Holland and her mother personally met Hitler and shook his hand. As a twelve year old her mother was told to put on her prettiest dress and join other girls to welcome a high priority "guest" in their town. Her mother recalled seeing a oddly dressed man in a hunting outfit with two large German Sheppards at this side. She shook his hand and presented flowers to him. Her father was 14 at that time and was put into forced labor as a warehouse laborer. Since the Germans were meticulous record keepers he received a small pension from them after emigrating to Canada in 1969.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2764488985?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

If you're into Kung Fu movies, "Chocolate" is n awesome Thai movie about an autistic girl who can learn any fighting style just by watching it.

The fight scenes are brutal, an the outtakes at the end show people getting seriously fucked up.

And she fights this kid with tourettes:

Ted Grant /

Thanks! I found a free version of Chocolate in five parts. It has English subtitles...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tetf

I once was hitchhiking in France and this dude picked us up, and he was like "hey, lemme show you around the region!" and among other stops we went to the lil town from chocolat

it was a great time, I remember playing soccer in the main square with some little kids

cool world.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account