Does the moped community like road bikes?

I started fixing up old road bikes a year or two ago and it’s what ultimately led me down the path of buying a poor abused moped that needed some TLC. Anybody have some cool bikes they want to show off? Doesn’t necessarily have to be road bikes I suppose. Anyways here’s a couple of the cool ones that I tried to make beautiful again. This first photo is my most recent build that I finished yesterday and probably my most favorite of all. It’s for a friend of mine who is 6’6 so the frame is 63+cm. It’s a 1982 Puch Classic.

1D9F6AC7-9982-49C5-A35D-838CA9C5519B.jpeg
E475250E-CD75-4FB4-8CB0-B923E30D4D36.jpeg

Re: Does the moped community like road bikes?

1992 Schwinn Paramount Series-2 PDG OS

8EA781F4-1E64-450F-A528-FCB3138FAA35.jpeg

1969 Takara ?

I could be wrong about the year of this bike as there’s not a lot of info I could find on it. What’s cool though is that there is a big front headlight and taillight powered by an electric generator that you can clip onto the back wheel. AWESOME!

28681715-4B1C-4A7A-A48C-F1498A396C19.jpeg

Here’s a 1986 Nishiki Triathlon I overhauled for a friend of mine. Just look at how proud he is lmao.

B6B81203-760B-4503-B922-5BA6C8CB5E00.jpeg

Giuseppe Zappa /

I do. I restore classic Italian road bicycles.

-G

Behold… the 1971 Raleigh International all the way from Nottingham, England. This bad boy has the original leather brooks saddle, Italian made hand pump, and tubular tires… of course I had to get the white cloth bartape to complete the look in the original catalogue.

21E1A629-EBB1-4F6B-8FFD-C1C2912BD79D.jpeg

Giuseppe Zappa /

Very nice work.

-G

I have more… but that’s probably enough for now…

Those look great! I loce a steel frame, I dunno, classic simple lines and they're a great ride. My usual bike is a old Japanese "Omni" which was a very limited run brand that I believe made frames outta the same factory as nishiki, it's a perfect 80's 2butt CrMo japanese tourer. I have had lots of other much fancier (and much crappier) bikes and never has anything come close to taking it's place, it's just my bike, it's all the things i want - every other bike is just not right cuz it's not my bike, you know?

I helped found a bike co-op while a grad at GA Tech in ATL, it's still going on - we got all the abandoned bikes on campus, as well as several from nearby apartment complexes and police auctions and scrapyards, everyone knew we'd take any bikes.

They all got priced super cheap with the goal of getting more people riding - We'd start pricing at roughly half what going rate would be, and priced down from there off a schedule - like -$10 if it needed tires or -5 if it needed cable adjustments etc etc. Many (most?) of the bikes woulnd up pricing down to 0, which were the "FIFY" - free if you fix it bikes.

We offered all the parts (used from teardowns of the truly unsalvageable) or new stuff for consumables, and all the tools, and we'd help teach people how to do all the repairs themselves. you could opt to take the as-is cost, or if you really couldnt manage, you could get the volunteers to rebuild it and pay the fixed up price. it was (is) great and still gets hundreds of bikes out. it was super fun, even when we were fixing total basketcases that weren't even worth 10 minutes time, I mean we'd do shit like rethreading the hubs on $50 wal mart bikes just to keep it rolling

We also fixed up some cool old relics, taking the good bits and making some real fun mashups, or restoring old classics with the good periods correct groupsets. it was also fun taking the trash and making dumb funny projects, tall bikes and swing bikes and downhill gravity bikes, diy cargo bikes, you name it. we made a side bx side caravan of 6 bikes - the "dodecacycle" - that pulled a connestoga wagon with a playing band for parades.

I can only find some photos of the weird ones haha

tandem.JPG
bianc.JPG
choppy.JPG

none of these are road bikes lol but theyre fun. I dunno, we had some cool road bikes too, someday i'll get on topic

Desrose.JPG
tall.JPG

I mainly mess around with regular bicycles, but i always have a road bike just for the fun of it.

Currently i use this Puch Cavette

IMG_20200409_171201.jpg

(this is the only picture i have on my phone, will take a better pic tomorrow)

Last year i sold this MBK which i used for a few years, but i couldn't be arsed to get new wheels for it again.

IMG_20190725_140529.jpg

yeah boi. mid 80's 58cm Viner with Columbus SLX tube set. Campy record/daytona mixed groupset friction shift. Cinelli cockpit. 21 lbs, not bad for a steel bike of the vintage. I never ride it because it's a little too big for me and race geometry bikes from this era are kinda always wildly uncomfortable. hoping to trade into another slx frame set closer to my size.

IMG_20190216_173459.jpg

(edited)

modern ride is a 2018 Kona Jake. Mix of force and rival hydro disk and mechanical shifting. Zipp everything else.

PXL_20210509_173524969.jpg

Ah, the Kona is cool. I have a 1964 Schwinn Super Sport and a 1993/4 Fat Chance Team Yo Eddy

Here's one I built a while ago.

9D510F65-9CF7-4EC9-899C-4EB3BB5318E3.jpeg
5CA00421-28FF-4AEA-973C-10330C36462E.jpeg
70078F6D-12FA-4D7D-A831-EB621CBDC3F6.jpeg

27881C9E-93E8-4613-8FB0-A27C3F1ACC25.jpeg
AA3D6938-AAFC-4B6E-9E7D-FF3109CFFFBF.jpeg

Here are a few that I could find. I like my bikes to be kinda silly. White pug was the BlK pugs Rebuild on that frame after I hit a garbage can at like 25 down a hill…..bent the top tube. Can’t ring the pic. I’ll see if I can find more.

3FD65368-4DB7-427F-AC2A-9FDA7625C933.jpeg

Built all 4 of those bikes from just frames. Easy to tell which one is my wife’s.

8B85FFDA-6AB1-4211-A77F-CBE0A00CF538.jpeg
E328E2BB-F635-4C02-8975-EE52C6D1FF89.jpeg

DF06E408-0829-46A9-8C97-101042B04169.jpeg

Tacked this wheel on the blk bike. That is why the wheel sets don’t match. This was after I straightened it enough to ride home.

B2DACC38-37FB-4CAA-B0C2-0C6A13295ACD.jpeg

Here it is…..two wrecks on the blk bike. Non on the white….yet

Here are a couple fun ones Dingus and Calico made a while back. The Random Tandem is sketch but fun.

10D65B51-7185-4504-B8DC-3E782A69EACE.jpeg

This picture Dingus took of their bike got pretty spread around the Internet.

4DFB9E4F-D56C-418C-BDD1-1DA05E0E1BA5.jpeg

(edited)

that random tandem kinda is what our dodecacycle was built like, it was pairs of sidebyside bikes, with linked steering, and they had a trailer hitch on the back that could pull the next pair, and again linked steering, so the front steered and that linked the steering along the whole way, or you could undo the tow link and run em asindividual sidebysides. Or you could hook the trailer hitch to a conestoga wagon or a tricycle charriot conversion

I can't really find any pics besides that and some really dark ones from the day we finished it at like 3am and rode it with the wagon to downtown, it was fucking brutal. that's a lot of weight to pull.

andy's viner is sick, i always love that one

is the fat tire peugeot coasterbrake??

That used to be my jam, converting everything to coasterbrakes. We had a spoke cutter and threader and tons of spare spokes from bent wheels etc, and i used to relace coaster hubs to like everything. 700c roadbike with coaster brakes. yesss

I need a better seat but this is currently one of my favorite bikes to ride.

(edited)

Cool, those bars are nuts.... Hand made?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> andy's viner is sick, i always love that one

>

> is the fat tire peugeot coasterbrake??

>

> That used to be my jam, converting everything to coasterbrakes. We had a

> spoke cutter and threader and tons of spare spokes from bent wheels etc,

> and i used to relace coaster hubs to like everything. 700c roadbike with

> coaster brakes. yesss

You know it is. Always loved the coaster brake. My wife’s hard rock has one too. Basically the same setup. Made these bikes for the VA Creeper trail. Such fun bikes for that trail we do it once to twice a year. I wish my road bike had one. Damn now I want to make that happen

I like Road bikes, have something called a Fugi "special racer" I saw another on CL, poster said it was a special bike...but not why? Anyone know anything about this model? It no longer has the drop bars, and I find the gear shifters not being on the bars but down on the part that goes towards the cranks to be very cumbersome to use with upright bars. I put very high pressure tires on it, and last time I had it on the trails it was VERY fast, sadly that was 15 yrs ago and 40 lbs lighter, it is in my closet semi disassembled, easy to put back together if it's worth anything. I have a Schwinn Woodlands 21spd mountain bike that was my "car" only transport for years 20 yrs ago, keep it in good shape even though I don't bike hardly at all any more, it is a beast, bought it for 10 bucks at good will, rode the crap out of it, new tires and shifters were all it has ever required, I save it for emergencies, and now that I'm trying to get back into a shape other than round by walking, when I'm able intend to get back on it for exercise. I also have access to my fathers about '72 Schwinn Suburban 5 speed, solid crank, it is mint paint wise, forks are seized up from hanging in the garage since '78! Leather seat is still perfect too, I have more interest in this style of bike than most and one day I will stripp it down and get it back on the road. Words to the wise if you are riding now DON'T stop! Once you get out of shape it is a BITCH to get back in shape, not so much the physical work, been walking a mile a day with ease, but the mental component, getting started is soooo hard!

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > andy's viner is sick, i always love that one

>

> >

>

> > is the fat tire peugeot coasterbrake??

>

> >

>

> > That used to be my jam, converting everything to coasterbrakes. We had

> a

>

> > spoke cutter and threader and tons of spare spokes from bent wheels

> etc,

>

> > and i used to relace coaster hubs to like everything. 700c roadbike

> with

>

> > coaster brakes. yesss

>

> You know it is. Always loved the coaster brake. My wife’s hard rock

> has one too. Basically the same setup. Made these bikes for the VA

> Creeper trail. Such fun bikes for that trail we do it once to twice a

> year. I wish my road bike had one. Damn now I want to make that happen

There were some cheap 29'er cruisers with bolt in single speed coaster 700c's, I threw some on a single speed bike for one of megan's friends, it turned out awesome for basically nothing, it was deep V too which was funny, all the ultra-trendy fixie styles but you can coast down hills and still do coolguy skidzies. You can find the china machinebuilt coaster 700s too, theres definitely a lot more available now

I got a few random bikes. The white one has 2 head sets welded together so it’s actually a “reverse steer” bike. I just posted some videos of it to my Instagram of it a week or so ago.

CD911D01-EB98-452E-B02F-D7A242E8440A.jpeg

I really need to finish building the orange Swedish bike. I got that frame at a garage sale for $2 a few years ago.

9BFAE98E-3106-45A5-BC5A-07091D197516.jpeg

I won this Puma-Biomega fixed gear bike on Facebook in about 2009.

D20ED740-4AC3-4BB0-BD1C-047172981769.jpeg

And of course the Roadmaster CR-2X

Here’s a better close up of the reverse steer gears before I painted it:

657A800C-6663-4105-87A2-20F9387FB570.jpeg

And here’s the original ad from the Swedish bike:

83438725-B0C6-4637-B656-6ECF6E4F9CF4.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account