Heckled While Driving Stories?

Tell me about the worst time someone heckled you while driving your moped. I was just going down a 35mph street and a guy pulled up recording me and yelled at me to “get that shit off the road cause it’s not street legal.” I sternly told him to go fuck himself lol hopefully I don’t end up in a tiktok video. Anyways, would be fun to hear some stories as a FNG to the moped scene. Cheers.

Re: Heckled While Driving Stories?

Did you have plates? Also this belongs in the general forum.

There's a classic story in the old documentary Swarm and Destroy (I think) about a dude riding his moped and some kids throwing a basketball at him. He catches it, pulls out his pocket knife, stabs it a bunch and throws it back

Driving through a religious extremist town on a sunday people started throwing their keys at me. I was pretty young when that happened so i just bolted, but if it ever happens again i'm just taking their keys.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

One guy hit me in the eye with a rock he was at a cookout or watevr it is in spanish. The 18 or so ppl looked amazed that I went right up to them" which one was the asshole who threw the rock . sued the landlords ins . for the medical bill. You are responsible for renting to low life's.

I have also dived off my moped to body block a group of 5 drunk college students who thought it would be good fun to tease a moped kid. Well that don't work too well on a 50 y o. maniac.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Y'all should try commuting on a moped in NYC.

You just become numb to people cursing and screaming at you.

I never get heckled. Mostly just thumbs up and compliments.

Maybe because my bikes don't suck?

The only time I get dirty looks is if I'm smoking out the people behind me. Which happens often on some of the old crusty bikes I'm still working on.

When I rode the 1958 Hercules k100 to the liquor store for the first time, divers gave me a wide berth, because no one likes the smell of a 63 year old toxic cloud of smog spewing out of a bike with bad rings and blown seals ...

Most frequent negative thing on mopeds in Ohio was people riding your ass no matter what speed you’re going. 40 in a 35? still, they just saw a small machine and had to drive close and then pass, even if it wasn’t clear or safe.

Co-workers had to move my moped all over the parking lot. Which really pissed me off when they put it on some fresh blacktop once. It sank in during the day and fell over.

Mostly, people seem to love mopeds though. Lots more positive feedback than the few negative things.

I went to a motorcycle cruise-in which required a few miles of riding on an interstate. Since folks could easily pass in the extra lanes, I got a lot of friendly waves. (pretty sure that was illegal too, but nobody seemed to care)

When I see someone riding ANY machine with proper gear and they look like they “belong” on the road, I feel no special way.

However… if I see a clown with no riding gear and they do even one thing stupid, my attitude toward them changes.

I am not the type to heckle, but if I was, that scenario would be the one where I started to say something.

Typically best not to engage, you arent gonna win that fight

I once had a guy pull up to cheekily ask "how is a moped like a fat chick" and I responding (having obviously heard before and considered what a shit joke that was) "you wish you had either?" he looked and chuckled a little so I tried again,

"they're more fun together?" "they're likely to be judged by shallow people?"

and he gave me a "you're a strange motherfucker" before leaving without his punchline.

I also have been told I didnt belong on the road while on peds or bicycles, and caught someone heckling a cyclist a few weeks ago with the same lines and I got my self in "if you can't safely share the road with someone on a bicycle, it's not the bicycle that doesnt belong on the roads..." which to be fair i've had mulling in my head since probably the 1st such interaction, and definitely used as an explanation when others, coworkers or whatever, complain about cyclists in the roads etc.

These days, I just give them a wave or a thumbs up, too many people out there who think using a gun makes up for their low IQ and/or tiny penis...

^exactly.

Once I was passed really close in my lane by a very fast speeding car late at night. At the next light I caught up and yelled at them, they quietly avoided eye contact, then didnt go when the light turned green. Next thing I know they were actively trying to ram me with their car. shit was insane. if I had just swallowed my pride and not yelled at them I'd have been in much less danger, and their car would've still had taillights and a side mirror.

Probably Fred /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Most frequent negative thing on mopeds in Ohio was people riding your

> ass no matter what speed you’re going. 40 in a 35? still, they just saw

> a small machine and had to drive close and then pass, even if it wasn’t

> clear or safe.

>

That’s kinda like that here that’s why I try to my bikes go at least 5-7mph faster then the speed limits of the roads I ride on.

I ride mostly large bikes like puch magnum and tomos revival and run hi powered kits, big carbs, pipe etc. for use on 45-55 mph State route roads.

A 30 mph bike is only good in my development to go to Beach, pools and the small village Square where there is no stores, shops or anything.

To go to some stores you need to go at least 40mph on the 35mph roads out here because as soon as a fancy expensive SUVs, BMW’s or Mercedes gets behind you they ride your ass if you don’t go 5-7 mph faster than the limit,

It’s a far cry when everything out here used to be at least 45 mph and people went 10mph faster But there’s still some roads you cannot go on unless you have at least a 50-55mph bike

Just last week a friend of mine was nearly run over by some asshole that thought 35mph on a 30mph road was too slow, at a stoplight he went to the guy and wanted to tell him to drive normally and don't fuck with people on mopeds, he got flipped the finger, he kicked the guys mirror off and drove away.

I totally understand why he did it, and i would've probably done the same.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Btw a modern BMW or hi end cars driver side mirror is about 2k and to reset the sensor array can run 13k...

And my moped cost me...

Yeah it's usually best to avoid confrontation. That being said,I don't write checks I can't cash either...

I usually answer back with something off the wall, like "I LOVE unicorns to!". I learned that from my sisters old roommate, but the crazy things she blurted out were real! The only time I ever reacted was this: I was going into work one day on my 98 Zuma. It had a clutch issue at the time and would randomly hang-up at 34mph max. This guy in a newer Honda Accord keeps riding my ass. I look to make sure he's not someone I know goofing around. He see me looking and gets closer. The clutch un-jams and the Zuma gets to its normal 45mph and he's still on my ass. So at the nest intersection the light turns red, I'm going 45 with this guy on my ass and slip down the middle of all the stopped cars. He slams into one and starts a serious chain reaction! By the time I get to the front of the cars the light turns green and I just continue on. He should have been paying attention and not staring at my ass.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> baird co Wrote:

> Maybe because my bikes don't suck?

Damn, way to try to relate by just pumping up your own ego.

I definitely get more thumbs up and heckles too, or photos from side windows, kids love to see funny mopeds, helps to focus on the positives.

Had this lady behind me on a 2 lane road in a car try to hit me and run me off road multiple times to get me out of her way, passed me in a turn driving into other lane of oncoming traffic. few hundred feet later were both at the same stop light, pull up next to her to talk shit for being an asshole and she points a gun at my face. still wish id have thrown my shitty garelli at her car.

more thumbs up than heckles i meant

yea dont fuck with cars, even if they fuck with you. you're not gonna win

same with police. just avoid unwinnable battles. Sometimes it takes swallowing your pride, but that's alot better than getting run over.

todd amundson /

Guy has red and I have green. I go straight and he pulls his right so I tee into him. I’m on my trike and slow enough to kick his fender. He travels on. I catch up and told the Armenian punk he’s a mother fucker. They don’t like that. That’s exactly why I chose those words. And fuck his amg too.

I win, one to nothing

I used to carry a can of blaze orange spray paint for when people passed so close that they forced me onto the shoulder, added a "racing stripe" below the line of sight on the offending suv, I'm too old for that ass kicking anymore, so I just stop and let them by. Most people are cool these days though, a moped is such a rare sight, I think they are more interested in what it is than pissed off. Also helps I only ride for recreation, vs comuting anymore, can pick slower routes. (edited)

Can't remember if I read it on a bicycle or motorcycle forum, but good advice for everyone, "Getting home is more important than being right".

> Chris . Wrote:

> Can't remember if I read it on a bicycle or motorcycle forum, but good

> advice for everyone, "Getting home is more important than being right".

In a similar vein, "lots of dead people had the right of way"

^both are excellent sayings.

My first new vehicle was a Honda Elite 80. Got stuck at a light next to a huge dude on a Harley. I was sure he was gonna give me a hard time but he was just super curious about the little thing and couldn’t believe it was my only means of transportation.

I get treated worse on the motorcycles than on scooters or mopeds. I get mostly thumbs up and smiles on the moped. Sure, some people are definitely laughing at me and not with me. I just buzz the little horn and really give them a chuckle. I haven’t met very many people whose opinion mattered much to me one way or the other so what they think is irrelevant.

Sometimes a little kid will see the moped and think it’s just the coolest thing ever and that is always rewarding.

> kevin - Wrote:

> pull up next to her to talk shit for being >an asshole and she points a gun at my face.

I'm so glad that that will never happen here. Even if someone flashes a gun, police will start a manhunt and you'll be in deep shit when they get you.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > baird co Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Maybe because my bikes don't suck?

>

> Damn, way to try to relate by just pumping up your own ego.

It's funny because it's true. If I'm on a functioning, fast bike, with lights and brake light, no one hassles me, and most drivers go out of their way to not tailgate me, or try to run me down.

If I'm on a smokey, piece of shit that keeps missing shifts, stalls at lights, and can barely make it to the liquor store on its first test run, people are more likely to get irate and run me off the road.

So having a bike that doesn't suck is a big plus.

From the average driver's perspective, if it's on the road, it should be road worthy. They don't think your kit is gonna sieze up, your pipe is gonna fall off, your brakes lock up...

So they'll follow you like they'll follow any other vehicle. And if you're slow and riding the shoulder or the bike lane, you're just in their way, and they'll think nothing of turning in front of you, or shorting the lane on you and buzzing your mirrors.

I've been heckled on totally stock, legit good running bikes plenty of times. I was riding past a Dairy Queen on a plated, stock, clean Motomarina Sebring like 3 weeks ago and this old dude ran up to the curb just to very aggressively flip me off as I slowly rode by. I don't know if his soft serve wasn't to his liking and he thought it was my fault or what.

but my point remains, if a driver can't manage to safely share the road with a shitty moped, it's that driver who shouldnt be on the road... (and maybe the moped too)

punkrock randy /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > kevin - Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > pull up next to her to talk shit for being >an asshole and she points

> a gun at my face.

>

> I'm so glad that that will never happen here. Even if someone flashes a

> gun, police will start a manhunt and you'll be in deep shit when they

> get you.

Exactly. Guns + Americans = Lots of dead Americans.

Makes me fuckin’ sick, what an insane thing for her to do. I hope she gets t-boned by a Mack truck on the driver's side.

she was probably keeping us safe from bad guys with guns by driving unsafely and potentially killing or maiming herself?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account