VSP : The moped of cars

Saw this on yerterb. Then googled it.

I feel like I missed a golden opportunity. I am 1 hour away from France. If I had only known, I could have got one and mailed it back to the States in pieces.

Any French members wanna help me out someday?

7F8361E2-BE40-49A2-9204-FB1E42182608.jpeg

Re: VSP : The moped of cars

Here’s the article

We also have those things here, but you do need a moped license to drive one. When my grandfather lost his driving license because he was practically blind, he bought one so he could still get to the supermarket, an uncle of mine intentionally drilled some holes in the exhaust so people could hear my grandfather approaching and they could quickly get out of the way.

Probably Fred /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here’s the article

That link froze the page in my device

yeah the link sucks. I had to refresh to get it to load.

Bas, that’s a unique story (at least to me)

How much do these little pseudo-cars cost?

You really want to drive one of those here, in the land of Suburbans and RAM's? Even if you could plate one I would not take my chances in one, there are people who drive golf carts about you can plate them as light urban vehicles...used only in neighborhoods, like retirement communities. It IS cool though.... (edited)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> You really want to drive one of those here, in the land of Suburbans and

> RAM's? Even if you could plate one I would not take my chances in one,

> there are people who drive golf carts about you can plate them as light

> urban vehicles...used only in neighborhoods, like retirement

> communities. It IS cool though....

If you live in a city you see more cars sized like this than super duty pickups

> Papa _ Wrote:

> yeah the link sucks. I had to refresh to get it to load.

>

> Bas, that’s a unique story (at least to me)

>

> How much do these little pseudo-cars cost?

It's no normal story here either, my grandfather lived in a pretty small town and everyone knew him so they just let this happen.

Those newer ones (with aircon etc) range cost like 10/15k, but 80's and 90's cars like the Arola can be had for 1000/1500 (in decent shape.) You don't see them that often anymore though.

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You really want to drive one of those here, in the land of Suburbans

> and

>

> > RAM's? Even if you could plate one I would not take my chances in one,

>

> > there are people who drive golf carts about you can plate them as

> light

>

> > urban vehicles...used only in neighborhoods, like retirement

>

> > communities. It IS cool though....

>

> If you live in a city you see more cars sized like this than super duty

> pickups

Interesting, here my little Tercel is one of the smallest cars I ever see, a few Smarts around until winter, but almost everything here is a crossover SUV or a truck of some sort. I don't feel real safe in my Tercel, much less one of those, at least the Toyota is highway capable and has an air-bag, (no idea if it would still work, it's a 94) If I pull up next to my Town car I'm eye-level with the door handles...lol, but it is a blast to drive, don't get me wrong I love tiny cars, but if restricted to 30 mph or so, I will take 2 wheels any day.

rAciNg

Looks like a crane control box.

I want the smallest, ugliest car for days I can’t ride. One of these little abominations would be great.

Not gonna happen now though.

Get a Metro, a Sprint or a Festiva.... or an old Tercel like mine, or if you have more to spend a Mirage.

Every drunk has one here. Lose your licence whilst drink driving, go buy one of these and get back down the bar! They use lights, trim and door handles from other older models of cars. The body panels are made of plastic or old used condoms. They look, sound and drive awful.

images.jpeg-4.jpg
images.jpeg-5.jpg
images.jpeg-6.jpg

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> Every drunk has one here. Lose your licence whilst drink driving, go buy

> one of these and get back down the bar! They use lights, trim and door

> handles from other older models of cars. The body panels are made of

> plastic or old used condoms. They look, sound and drive awful.

This is so weird, you lose DL for dui, but here, have a tiny car so you can still crash into people and do damage...I thought EU was way tougher on DUI than America? I bet they don't have those in Germany... I bet one of those would be fun to beat around in, in a parking lot, but could never see taking one on the road in the USA unless in Mayberry or a retirement village, even then...I think we have golf carts bigger than those things! Leftovers from one pass of a snowplow in MN would sideline one of those, do they even have heaters/defrosters? What engines are in them? Death traps.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Saw this on yerterb. Then googled it.

>

> I feel like I missed a golden opportunity. I am 1 hour away from France.

> If I had only known, I could have got one and mailed it back to the

> States in pieces.

>

> Any French members wanna help me out someday?

Looks like a Festiva that someone put in the dryer too long! :) It sure is neat though..

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Those would be fun to beat around in, in a parking lot, but could

> never see taking one on the road in the USA unless in Mayberry or a

> retirement village, even then...I think we have golf carts bigger than

> those things!

Guess you've never been to NYC

I have not, what roams the streets there? What are people driving there? I know it's not those toy cars, what have you got? (edited)

Seriously Nick, always liked you and respected your opinions, etc, but there is NO WAY one of these toy cars will ever be plated and legal in this country, it's like putting a body on a go-kart, maybe passable in Europe, but here, no way in hell. Most in NYC don't drive at all, so how can you figure something like this can even get registered? NYC is angry at electric bikes, how could these get a pass? Much less a plate? I don't believe your city is awash in tiny cars, I just don;t most ride the subway/bus or walk, and that is fine, my sister lives there and neither she or her husband own a car or want to, (She should never be behind the wheel of anything) but there are real cars there, trucks too, and these tiny pos have no place on our roads.

I think the main thing stopping these in the USA is power.

I shopped for some last night. Not to actually buy, just curious.

$20,000 for a new car that makes 8hp.

Yeah right.

Sure, I think it would be silly and fun to buy a thrashed old one for $1000 and play around with it. But nobody would ever pay that $$ for the initial purchase.

I could see it being viable in giant florida retirement communities when millenials hit their 80’s. maybe.

Stephen, the countries in the EU have very different variations of safety and logic, depending on which country it is. In France, drink driving is still very much a common thing and me coming from the UK, that shocks me. The UK is very harsh on drink driving, as it should be and offenders have a stigma attached to them. If I am driving, I won't even have an alcoholic drink, as even though I may be under the limit, if I have an accident, there would be some alcohol in my system, so there is always doubt as to what may have affected my ability.

In France, people generally have zero problem with having alcohol and driving. At noon, when lunchtime hits for 2 hours, workers go to a restaurant for lunch. If they work for a big company, they get lunch vouchers to use in the restaurant, that's how they afford it 5 days a week. For around €11-13 you get a starter, main, wine, desert and a coffee. If it is a restaurant geared up for workers, it can be buffet style, but that also means a bottle or more is put on the table, depending on how many eaters. Some people will order a beer too, to have with their starter, or an aperitif, which is usually a little liquor or sparkling fruity wine. So by the end of lunch, usually 80% of the workers will be on or over the legal limit to drive. Then they all get back in their vans, lorries and cars and head off back to operate heavy machinery, chainsaws, do roadworks, install electric cables, etc. Teachers at a school canteen can still get a wine with lunch!

In the evening, people are down town in the bars and at the end of the night, get in the car and drive home and they haven't been drinking water all evening!

I find it nuts how accepted having alcohol and driving is here, just nuts. Sometimes I feel like the strange one when offered a drink at someones house and I say no thanks, I'm driving, they can't get their head around it.

The French are known drunks, working in a restaurant it's shocking how many times you have to tell a French family not to give their 12 year old a glass of wine.

In Germany it's also still common to drink a beer during your lunch break although i believe that's getting less and less popular.

In the Netherlands you can only drink during work if you work at a bar/restaurant as far as i know.

Drunk driving is not that big of a problem here because you can just use your bicycle if you go out drinking. Drunk cycling is technically not allowed but i've never heard of anyone ever getting a fine for it.

The military has a strong drinking culture.

But…

It also has zero tolerance for drinking and driving. So, you run across a lot of people with DUIs.

I used to be very judgemental about that.

However, I know that I can do basically everything normally after 2-3 beers (American beer). And once the initial buzz wears off, I could continue to drink beer all evening and still pRoBaBLy drive; but I would never.

Point is: Everyone is different. Some people drink all the time and their tolerance allows them to handle it without effect. Also, some people can’t drive for shit sober.

My most dangerous moments behind the wheel were from being tired and falling asleep. Or, being distracted by the radio. Or or, the one time I sneezed and spun out on a soft shoulder. Oooor… Benadryl is like chugging half a bottle of bourbon to me.

So, if I see someone drink and drive, I think it is irresponsible, but not necessarily upsetting. If they seem to be the type that can handle that sort of thing. I would physically intervene with anyone that was trying to hop in a car DRUNK however. Or domeone that I know drives sober worse than most drunk people that has even had one small drink.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> The French are known drunks, working in a restaurant it's shocking how

> many times you have to tell a French family not to give their 12 year

> old a glass of wine.

>

> In Germany it's also still common to drink a beer during your lunch

> break although i believe that's getting less and less popular.

>

> In the Netherlands you can only drink during work if you work at a

> bar/restaurant as far as i know.

>

> Drunk driving is not that big of a problem here because you can just use

> your bicycle if you go out drinking. Drunk cycling is technically not

> allowed but i've never heard of anyone ever getting a fine for it.

I don't think it's allowed here either, but the road will punish you enough for trying...(drunk bicycling) a buddy and I had this brilliant inspiration, ONCE, put our bikes on the back of his jeep and attempted to ride them home at bar close, he made it about 5 feet before doing a header and banging himself up something awful, I hung my bike back on the rack and walked. I just don't drink anymore, impossible to get a dui! :)

Way beyond FUGLY. God lord even I wouldn't drive any of them well I might if my knees don't hit the headlights.

I recently ditched my samurai and have no car now and i hate not having the samurai. I mean I have a passat that is mine but i hate it.

and we have a nice family car for like putting a kid in and doing stuff.

but i want a dumb moped car for driving the 5 miles to work at 25mph on rainy days when i cant drive other stuff.

I looked at a citicar commutacar thing they're like actually street legal enclosed golfcart kits from the 70s, but i couldnt use that in the winter. i been really considering the microvans, since that could work in the winter too, or the lifan pickman it's like an electric microtruck, seems pretty perfect but too many bucks for me to handle.

and theyre all too unsafe to put a kid in. like i'd do it, but i'm never gonna convince megan to let me put a car seat in a RHD mid engine microvan

You can get mini vans too!

images.jpeg-7.jpg
download.jpeg-2.jpg
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Here in Bremerton we have Puget sound naval shipyard and intermediate maintenance facility. Huuuge complex for aircraft carrier maintenance and a boneyard...anyway, up until a few years ago they used hundreds of microvans and micro trucks based on the Kia Towner to get around the massive complex.

They started trickling out into auctions a few years ago for cheap, I see them all the time on the road now...probably the closest thing to a car sans permis here in the us.

I bet you could get one of those shrunken festivas titled here. No inspection

^ Cool as hell! LHD as well, was just bs'ing with a guy with a Hi-jet, this weekend, his is a pick-up body and RHD, he claims he can't get it plated here in MN but can in WI, so only uses it for ice-fishing. I like the one above a bunch! Thanks for posting the video!

Lol no problem. When I was a kid they had a huge parking lot right next to the battleship Missouri before they towed it to Hawaii. Shitty kitty is still here tho. Aka the aircraft carrier Kittyhawk...just moored up along the side of the inlet next to the freeway. Along with the USS Constellation, Ranger, and Independence.

There's a few in this photo of the mothball fleet. Not high res enough but I'm sure I can see a few

Aerial_Bremerton_Shipyard_November_2012.jpg

Very cool!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account