Anyone here have a Radwagon?

radwagon.jpg

I love my mopeds, but need something to get the kiddo to preschool, trying to avoid buying a 2nd car. Anyone out there hauling kids with one of these?

Re: Anyone here have a Radwagon?

I got a RadRunner 1. Made my own passenger hauler just to test the waters. It did good with 2 adults on it but now I have my old SHAD trunk on it. Will do 35-40 miles max on a full charge. Tops out at 20mph. Battery takes around 5 hours to charge. I have over 2000 trouble free miles on my 'Runner. Ride in all weather and it does great. Best deal in ebikes IMHO.

If you want to haul kids with a bike, i would go for something safer like this

That's just the first one that popped up, but in the Netherlands all overbearing parents use something similar.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Cool you can use the kids like a 5 mph crash bumper...

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you want to haul kids with a bike, i would go for something safer

> like this

>

> https://www.babboe.nl/media/resized/800/catalog/product/cache/9b0d763a21bdb053fe318b53defbc037/b/a/babboe_curve_e_VLT2020_48f3.jpg

Most of those go for about $4000 over here, the Radwagon costs less than half of that, and I only have 1 kid so I don't need all that room. They do sell a caboose, metal bars that surround the kid seat in case you tip over. The Rad bikes seem safer than a typical bicycle with a kid seat, lower center of gravity.

RadWagon_Lifestyle_1.jpg

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Cool you can use the kids like a 5 mph crash bumper...

LMFAO, never understood putting small children on bicycles that they are not riding themselves....my parents did it too, not to go to school, we walked...but for recreation, I don't remember minding it, but when you look at it today it is really hazardous, no one wore helmets, and you were strapped into the seat, if the rider went down so did the kid. There was a lot less traffic then...but still does not seem a safe thing to do to a small kid. Those little trailers seem safer if you are on a bike trail, but on a street pretty sketchy, granted not far to fall, but out of the line of sight of the phone in face drivers, just waiting to get squished. Get a used van, the kid is going to get bigger and will outgrow a 2-4k bike pretty quick. This said I do think cargo electric bikes are cool as fuck, and very useful, the cargo just should not be human. :)

> Chris . Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If you want to haul kids with a bike, i would go for something safer

>

> > like this

>

> >

>

> >

> https://www.babboe.nl/media/resized/800/catalog/product/cache/9b0d763a21bdb053fe318b53defbc037/b/a/babboe_curve_e_VLT2020_48f3.jpg

>

> Most of those go for about $4000 over here, the Radwagon costs less than

> half of that, and I only have 1 kid so I don't need all that room. They

> do sell a caboose, metal bars that surround the kid seat in case you tip

> over. The Rad bikes seem safer than a typical bicycle with a kid seat,

> lower center of gravity.

> >

Yeah the cargo bikes can be a bit expensive, obviously here you can easily buy them second hand so that helps. (Not that i need an electric cargo bike anyway)

The lower center of gravity will help a bit, but that, a foam helmet and those bars probably wont help much if you get hit by a car. I assume Portland has better cycling infrastructure than most of the US though.

And Slew, i agree any child should just cycle themselves from age 5 or 6, but only if there's decent bicycle infrastructure as that's the only way to stop drivers from murdering people. (edited)

We are pretty lucky in Portland to have lots of side streets set aside for bike riders, cars are blocked from turning onto them from busy roads, and some have stoplights just for bikes.

My kid is just turning 4, I can't really expect him to ride 8 miles round trip 3-5 days a week.

Dirty30 Dillon /

These are all over Brooklyn, doing exactly what Chris is looking to do. There are the cargo styled trike ones as well, but they are pricey.

I would say get it. They have been around long enough that the support and quality is there.

Surly makes a real nice one. solid solution for drop offs and groceries.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_easy

Rad is just down the street from my shop, really cool people they have been at it for close to 6 years now I think. They are the best bang for your buck in the ebike world, you see them all over Seattle. I would say yes get one if you want to shuttle the kids around, the range is like 20miles I’m a charge though

I saw one on the bike trail last weekend, looked cool.

I always kinda preferred the bike trailer to a cargo bike just because then it's removable. but i guess if you'd want an electric assist, the cargo bike would be a good platform

We used to ride my daughter to daycare in a trailer, I'd clip it to my bike, drop her off and lock the trailer at her daycare/school. then i could ride in without the trailer (or without a big cargobike) and my wife you pick her up, clip the trailer to her bike and head home. it was a sweet setup.

I often consider digging into an electric assist on a bike but it's sooooo expensive i just can't justify it. like that surly is rad as hell, but it's also more expensive than every car i've ever owned combined...

Brian Kin_duh_mo /

My wife has a radwagon. it's nice and she uses it to commute to work mostly, but we have a child seat on it as well as he caboose roll bar thing as seen above. the bike is pretty big (like around 85# iirc, and then a 40# kid) and my wife is fairly small but she manages to get around without too many issues.

i bought a juiced camp scrambler (more moped like) and a pull behind trailer to do my kid hauling.

campeona del mundo /

i used to see techies in SF ride around the mission with their kids on those. there was one dude that would ride by treats with two kids on the back and a dog on a leash. probably really good bikes, but if you give a shit about your kids then i would stay away from em. looks like a total deathtrap to me, albeit i do not have kids.

dos used to pull in random euro imports with child seats on mopeds, I used to call em post-natal abortion seats

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account