To smoke or not smoke?

Thinking about getting a smoker. Need some input from you. Since I'm retired now, I'll have more time. Please keep this on subject. Thanks

Re: To smoke or not smoke?

So what are you smoking?

Terry Gerker /

MEAT Brisket for starters. (edited)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Hands down the best way to cook ham.

Pit barrel is a great smoker. I can do 10 chickens in a little over an hour. Love the damn thing.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Salt and cheese for the WIN.

Mmmm double smoked slab bacon and sweet Lebanon baloney.

Terry Gerker /

What would be a good 1st smoker? Charcoal, propane, electric? Size?

I highly reccomend the pit barrel. It'll run for 10 hours for crazy brisket time. The temp is rock solid and you set it by elevation.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/

The electric ones are only good for fish in my opinion. It's less cooking than dehydrating. But I'm referring to a electric little Chief from the 60s. Modern ones may be much better.

Guys I work with swear by the wood pellet smokers.

They have wifi temp sensors and phone apps to let them know when the food is done.

I kinda prefer caveman style. Open flames. Maybe when I’m all old and retired, the idea of waiting hours for my food to cook will seem more appealing?

Still, it makes some damn tasty stuff.

Build one! This was two 55gal drums welded together, and a 35gal drum for the fire box. It’s a reverse flow design. works good, holds 250* steady across the entire 56” of cooking space.

My buddy is an arborist, so I get my wood from him. Mostly hickory and crab apple, and I use lump charcoal as well.

6B43A23E-7D59-42E2-8AF4-E80C3FD3F9CD.jpeg

Terry Gerker /

What do you think of the Char-Broil Bullet Charcoal Smoker model 18202075-DI

I’ve only built them, never used one from a manufacturer.

I would like to get one of the cabinet style electric pellet smokers though, but they cost too much for how often I’d end up using it.

The ugly drum style smokers are easy and cheap to build and run. I would look into making one of those if your new to the smoking thing. Probably cost about $100

Also I wouldn’t risk a brisket for your first smoke, pork picnic roast is a good cut for pulled pork because of the large bone in it and large fat cap. Helps keep it moist even if your temps spike and is more flavorful than the Boston butt. Also is 1/4 the price of a brisket so you don’t go broke while you learn.

I use a regular webber kettle grill to smoke. Just got to toss the coals on one side with some tin foil or special setup and food on the other. Havesmoked roasts, turkeys, anything

i like an excuse to sit outside and do nothing, and not feel like you're doing nothing. it's like fishing or whatever but you get a guaranteed something in the end

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I seen old kitchen pantries converted into chain driven rack and dip...

Dual doors and they cobbled a ovendoor window the smoke was made in a bottom drawer w coals.

I use an offset smoker. Been smoking turkeys, pork butts & briskets this way for years.

Just put two briskets in the smoker two hours ago. One rubbed in SPG, the other in my signature spice rub from my restaurant days. Proprietary recipe; Top secret shit. I’ll monitor them all night, & smoke em at 250. I’ll wrap them in pink butcher paper when they hit 165* and continue smoking to around 205-215. When I can poke em with the thermometer & it goes in like warm butter, they’re done. Should take about 14 hours. Gonna be a long night, but tomorrow we eat like kings. Two briskets, one smoked pork shoulder for pulled pork sammies on homemade buns. Five dozen fresh oysters, in the shell on the grill. Two grilled king salmon. Grilled corn on the cob. Potato salad. Smoked salmon spread. Fresh melon salad. Good but sad times with family, celebrating my dad’s life. These were all his favorites.

127622D6-91C2-49F2-B1BD-04F762631767.jpeg
image.jpg

Sorry Seth. I'm sure he was a hell of a guy. Just lost mine last year. Know how your feeling.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Seen the big guys run oil tanks from houses cut in half and smokered

Thanks, Aaron. He was an awesome dude, for sure. I miss him like crazy.

03C3485A-4AD9-4C97-BD45-DE2F60C2F695.jpeg

Bark established. Temp up to 165. Time to wrap em up! The Texas Crutch- wrap em in pink butcher paper to finish cooking. They’ll still absorb smoke, and retain moisture better, while finishing faster. Helps push through a stall in cooking that always happens with smoking big cuts.

909DD113-9A18-4F1F-9249-92548B7CCF19.jpeg

^All that looks sounds awesome, sorry about your dad, going to see mine tomorrow, still here and as healthy as a person can be at 85, it will be a sad day when he is no longer with us. You are doing him proud! :) We are doing Salmon tomorrow. That brisket is making my mouth water though! This is what life's all about, fuck politics!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account