Maryland - I need a van

Hey MA,

I have mentioned that I am moving to NM from Germany.

I can only fly in to Baltimore with my family of five and our dog.

I hate the idea of renting a vehicle to drive across country for 3 weeks. For the same price, I bet I could get functioning used mini van or something.

It doesn’t need to be nice or even a keeper. Just working, maybe A/C, and up to the journey.

I have some... reservations about buying a Maryland used car in one day; most likely sight unseen.

Anyone on here, local to the area, be willing to scout me a ride and make a good recommendation? I’d be willing to chip in some kind of finders fee if money motivates.

Re: Maryland - I need a van

Almost any running Sienna....

Three weeks? That’s a long time for such a short drive. Gonna make a scenic vacation out of it? Rent an RV. Might be tough one way though. Either way, I’d rent. That way you’re covered if it breaks down. If you buy something in that price range, it’ll let you down. You’ve got desert driving to do, in the middle of nowhere. Do you wanna trust your family to a $1500 Craigslist junker that’s all rusted to crap from MD winters?

Seth,

You make an excellent point. Which is why I was hoping some MA member might hook me up by finding a not sketchy junker for a decent price.

It only has to make it to Ohio. We will spend a couple weeks with family there and then the real journey starts down south.

Not so much of a roadtrip though. Just visiting people. An RV is too $$ and fuel.

Business travel rules as usual: If I rent I might get reimbursed for the amount of the cheapest car rental, period. If I buy, I get to claim mileage for the direct route (which is still almost enough to pay for a cheap car) and keep the car or sell it for whatever.

When I say cheap, I’m thinking like a $4,000 used mini van. Possibly have some resale value if I just use it for the trip and then cash out.

I’ll get AAA and have my insurance include a rental. So, even if it DOES break down, I will have a “free” car to get us where we have to go.

The real icing would be if Meowyland has those 30 day temp tags; not even bother to register it and sell within a month.

Sound like a plan?

I searched this up and liked it:

0C267572-0B4B-47A0-AF77-65E271795201.png

High mileage beast, but brand new tires and seems clean.

Funny that SUVs are so much cheaper than minivans nowadays.

CC818756-FE2F-4AB8-BB5F-673386DF2436.png

Overpriced Parts /

Hello, i am in Maryland and willing to help you.

A) it might be a little small but i have a 2 door hardtop automatic geo tracker for sale. i dont think it's right for you but im just putitng it out there.

B) im 15 mins from BWI and do not mind picking you up from BWI and either taking you to the vehicle or picking up the vehicle for you and bringing it to BWI when you land - then swinging 15 mins back to my house so i can be dropped off lol

let me know! pm me and i'll give you my cell. despite being disliked here im actually a nice guy and willing to help people in need

punkrock randy /

People with bad opinions can still have a good heart. Good on you Szuba.👍🏼 And good luck papa, sounds like an exciting journey to your new home.

sh00bs,

I don't think anyone's dislike on OT shenanigans would really translate into real life. At least I hope not.

The Geo sounds dreamy to me, but yeah... not gonna work for the family.

We will be arriving (most likely) in late July. So there's plenty of time to find something that will work and fits the budget. I am also buying a house and stuff. So, I really don't have a clue how much $$ or finance power I'm gonna have until the date gets closer.

I'll send a PM with some more info.

Thanks for helping out. Community FTW.

for sure man! just shoot me a pm and i can help you with whatever, car related, picking you up... etc lmk!

Jimmy Cincinnati /

despite being disliked here im actually a nice guy and willing to help people in need

Chris - you've always been a solid dude!

Also, Papa what part of Ohio?

Jimmy,

Not sure yet. My parents still live near Portsmouth. But, My sister lives north of Dayton and has room for us to stay with her.

Sort of a military joke/complaint that we are assigned far from home for years, and when we get back, everyone wants US to come visit them. Like, how about we go to one place and everyone that actually loves and misses us make the time to come see us. So our 2 weeks at home aren't 80% driving around, miserable, to say hello and then hit the road again.

PSA, FYI: if you have friends or family in the military that get to visit home between assignments, bring the party to them.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it comes to a taxi ride to Ohio LMK I have a grand caravan but I don't want to part with it just yet.

My schedule is open so if it's last minute I can drop most stuff for a week or more just expenses cargo is limited tho with both benchs up.

punkrock randy /

I think Dayton has that badass airplane/Air Force museum or something. Last time i got to see and spend time w my grandfather was there. Very cool place, highly recommend checking out if u haven’t.

My friend Chris is roadtrippin the country in a 15 year old dodge caravan he got for 2 grand or somethin. But with a family, it'd be tough. How much breaking down and waiting at a repair shop can you manage? How much budget do you have for unexpected oopsies. I'd get AAA

anyway, sounds fun and honestly If i bought a shitbox, even a $2000 shitbox, i'd be surprised if it didnt survive at least 2000miles.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

If that Explorer has the 4.0L engine, i’d pass. At 202k on it, it’s a prime candidate for timing chain guide failure, and it has several.

The 4.6L is the better engine, short of blowing spark plugs out of the heads, but it’s a fairly simple repair for a qualified tech, but i rarely see that in Explorers. It’s more of an E or F series van or truck issue.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

A 19 year old explorer with 200K+ is not a deal at $4K.

Thanks for everything.

I’m putting my absolute faith in sh00bs and buying whatever gets his nod.

I grew up going to the Air Force Museum at least 2-3 times a year. I still go there every time I go to Dayton and I probably haven’t seen/read every exhibit. The smell of the place is seared into my memory. We will visit again for sure.

I trust a caravan over a Ford. Those weren’t really my “choices” just quick search examples of used family vehicles at prices I can afford. Like, proof of concept stuff.

my old lab partner and PHD thesis companion, we wrote our dissertations each on 1 of 2 possible solutions to increasing service temperatures in molybdenum-based jet engine blades.

Anyway, he stayed with that path, more or less, and now works with AFRL in dayton on jet turbine blad metallurgy but also volunteers at the museum and I really wanna get over there and see him/visit the museums and stuff

but it's also dayton...

which, being honest, is the only city where people actually invented human flight, presumably just to get the fuck out of there.

The Wright Bros get a lot of credit. It is well deserved, but they built upon a lot of historical aviation information.

I still get a little miffed at NC license plates that say: “First in Flight”. Bullshit. I always say: “First flown over”.

My sister got married in the Engineers Club in downtown Dayton. I think they had an original Wright engine upstairs. The city has a ton of history and the world we live in has been changed in many ways by Dayton OH.

All that said, I don’t know why anyone would want to live there now. I was there for 2 years while attending Wright State. That was long enough.

Turbine blades are some of the most impressive material engineering I have ever heard of. I think it was a RR doc I saw with blades that have an internal lattice structure and are heated and inflated to their final shape. Something like that. Just mind blowing out of the box stuff.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A 19 year old explorer with 200K+ is not a deal at $4K.

Right? a 1k car, MAX. Total gas pig, only good thing is there are tons of them, so parts are cheap, but not really worth the metal they are stamped out of. Rent a van, so worth it, not yours, new enough not to break down and if a national company you can drop it off in any major city.

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> My friend Chris is roadtrippin the country in a 15 year old dodge

> caravan he got for 2 grand or somethin. But with a family, it'd be

> tough. How much breaking down and waiting at a repair shop can you

> manage? How much budget do you have for unexpected oopsies. I'd get AAA

>

> anyway, sounds fun and honestly If i bought a shitbox, even a $2000

> shitbox, i'd be surprised if it didnt survive at least 2000miles.

Those years caravans had good engines.

My wife’s grand Caravan around the same age maybe a year older the Chris’s van gave us great service life.

She drove it home one day a 25+ min ride from doctor when rear heater line was rusted out, there was no antifreeze in it and the overheat warning buzzer was going off entire time,

I bypassed the rear heater and it took almost 3 gallons of antifreeze to fill it up. It started up and ran fine like nothing ever happened!

But never garaged, always used as a winter vehicle the rust was so severe it was structural and even though the van ran good it wasn’t safe so we had to get rid of it a few years ago

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Most folk don't know the first modern combustion engine cars were tested and developed in reading pa.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

What exactly is a “first modern” engine?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Diamler

punkrock randy /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Diamler

Great explanation 🙄

Papa - Motorhome companies pay people to deliver RVs to different parts of the country. It would be ever so comfortable and maybe worth checking in to ?

Ich leibe mein kleinas Motorrad..... mein Puch

We are pretty well set on the idea of just buying a van. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mopeds are called mofa here. There’s a club or gang called Mofackers. I think the name is cute.

1C42E8BB-D5C4-45BE-96EF-E474F27075BF.jpeg

> Papa _ Wrote:

>

> I’m putting my absolute faith in sh00bs and buying whatever gets his

> nod.

>

>

oh god. the pressure

aha jk we'll find you something! just lmk what you come across and want me to check out :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account