Thoughts on Motorized bikes????

Rosario Miller /

I saw a thread in general about mopeding being too pricey. If you guys can't afford some of the crazy prices they are going for now may I recommend looking into motorized bikes you can build a super basic one for 200 bucks. And that is buying a new engine and bike, not finding a guy on Craiglist that has one in the back of his shed. I guess I will list the major difference and then pros and cons

pros

Can be however much you want it to be 200- the sky

2 strokes

great mpg

Are the simplest engines I know of they make my Tomos look like alien techonlogy

(that might be a slight stretch)

techinally or "mopeds" since they have pedals

Cons

on the lower end quaility can be a hit or miss

Transmissions are single speeds with a clutch (could be a pro depending on what you like)

vibration is your worst enemy. you will be tightening bolts every ride

doesn't feel like a moped

doesn't look like a moped

isn't a moped.

But yeah overall 10/10 would recommend I would check out LA Hover on youtube if you are intersted.

5ca4bd56db21d571ae7f86a9b8e1842c.jpg

Re: Thoughts on Motorized bikes????

I race them on kart tracks, but I gave up on the crap chinese kits and built a totally modified, custom bike with a Minarelli V1.

IMG_20210114_105129.jpg
FB_IMG_1604291071411.jpg

^ That is crazy cool!

punkrock randy /

I don’t like pedals. They’re cumbersome and get in my way. Actually, I’ve never rode a moped, that’s why I got involved in this site. Maybe one day...

They really aren't bad, you get used to it quick.

Rosario Miller /

That bike is sick!

I highly suggest that everyone that thinks mopeds are too expensive buys a shitty chinese motorized bicycle. More mopeds left for me.

The legality of these is even more vague than actual mopeds....

Most of those china girl engine kits have a 40mm stroke and if you do some research it's not to tricky to find other top ends with larger displacements as long as it's a 40mm stroke one of the most popular builds is with the stihl ms660 top end on the china doll crankcase and they rip dicks and not to pricey with every single upgrade you can think of imaginable.

Yea legality is pretty neat, you can get away with everything.

I've had a few that sortof got dumped on me. Even lower price of entry than mopeds and lower reliability and performance to match. but so cheap.

I think they've got a bit of a barrier to entry cuz the 1st few months is a lot of regular failures until you even out all the kinks and find the right balance of parts and efforts, but then they can be mediocre to good

For some reason the cops hate them here, everytime I see someone riding one I see them pulled over within the week and the bike kind of disappears, or they are back on it sans engine, but an electric hauling ass no one looks twice? Even real mopeds are pretty ignored if you have a current plate. Electric is the way to go on a bike frame, for so many reasons. But the $$$$. I would think the extra cash spent on an electric would way off-set the unreliability of the gas kit engines.

I think these engine kits draw some of us like a light does moths.

A primal desire born in our adolescent minds.

An engine... that goes on a bicycle.

And I will try out that one I posted a while back. the one that has a centrifugal clutch and electric start.

Because I just can’t shut off my childish sense of adventure when it comes to something lime that.

Rosario Miller /

I agree the only reason I would ever consider an electric bike would be the stealth being able to ride anywhere a bicycle can while having a motor that can take you up to 30mph sounds sweet. I just wish they were as customizable as ice.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think these engine kits draw some of us like a light does moths.

>

> A primal desire born in our adolescent minds.

>

> An engine... that goes on a bicycle.

>

> And I will try out that one I posted a while back. the one that has a

> centrifugal clutch and electric start.

>

> Because I just can’t shut off my childish sense of adventure when it

> comes to something lime that.

There IS something cool about them...but everything I have read is straight jank....interested in the one you are going to build, electric start?!? How big a battery and where will you mount it?

Rosario Miller /

Defentaily would stay away from the electric start ones also the centrifugal clutch since those are 4 strokes lol. Starting them ain't too bad if you really struggle you could buy a stand that a lot of mopeds do so you can start it without moving. Only problem with electric start is they weight a ton and are pricey compared to a normal kit.

dude electric bike that's a whole different story, it's far more reliable and rigidly attached and not sticky and spilling stuff, but what I really want is a electric assist on a mountainbike, imagine shredding through trails for hours and barely getting tired, it's like all the fun and same excercise, you just get to do it for longer. fuck yea

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account