Re: General Motors vows to be all electric by 2035....

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I only wanted to point out how shortsighted it is to imply

> electrification is useless or wont work by pointing out things like a

> temporary diesel generator powering a charging station.

>

I agree, that would be shortsighted if someone were to do that.

I dunno, I expect the cost advantage will go the other way, pretty likely we're gonna see more taxes on fossil fuels. Once you've admitted that emissions matters, if we start charging a CO2 tax etc, decentralized combustion is gonna be the most aggressively hit, and electric the even more clear winner.

Im not saying that's the only scenario, but even with a road use or pay by mile, I don't see how EV's arent still the obviously cheaper option

Here’s your clean wind energy.

00F8D4AC-CB4D-4BD4-AE33-12B51236DB9F.jpeg

Here’s those 10 year old blades being recycled

9F5A0AEC-60AD-4FD6-92DC-01C1A4AA4917.jpeg

Like we've already established, wind energy (currently) sucks, that doesn't mean that green energy isn't the only option we have left.

Solar and hydro are probably our best bets, but both are also not viable in my country, i'm still rooting for nuclear, but loads of boomers have to die before that will finally happen.

That was for Will. Solar isn’t any better. Massive fields of black mirrors absorbing light and heat. Short life span and expensive to maintain and replace. Hydro is awesome, but you have the salmon humpers wanting to tear down the dams. Natural gas steam plants are very clean burning and efficient, but you got the pipeline haters. With modern technology, even coal can burn cleanly, and fire steam plants, but you know- it’s coal, so it’s a no-no. Can’t burn dead dinos.

You skewed your ##s and points exactly the way big oil trained you to. There ARE 1/2 truths in all your points, but, overall, electric vehicles are 100xS better for the environment than dino-burners. Technology is catching up very fast with your concerns and after driving a Tesla (and talking to many electric car owners), I can tell you, there's no looking back. I just thought I knew what a powerful vehicle was.

100x better!? And you say I skewed MY numbers Yeesh!

Clean Coal?? .. you really went there...omg, you're hopeless. Go to bed so you don't oversleep and miss Fox and Friends in the morning.

Please give due scrutiny to the outdated energy solutions you promote as you do to those you oppose.

Does Solar, Wind, or coal produce more landfill waste?

Also, yep - problems exist. yet I still can't understand the logic that says "ok, this isn't perfect, it's definably better but still has issues - let's give up entirely."

But even if you want to continue to refuse the environmental benefits by pretending to care about these uninformed and over-inflated environmental concerns, we can go ahead and just ignore the environmental impacts entirely and still recognize that:

electric cars are faster, easier, longer lasting and way more powerful. that alone is a pretty good argument in their favor...

Y’all focus on coal. It’s a small portion of energy production, and although I endorse its use as viable, I condone other methods much more prolifically. Nuclear energy is great. So is Hydro. Both are much more efficient and environmentally friendly than wind or solar, and produce much greater volumes of energy. Wind and solar are not sustainable in their current trajectory, unless heavily subsidized. They will likely never be profitable, or environmentally justifiable.

But keep focusing on coal, since I mentioned it, like a typical libtard.

punkrock randy /

Keep talking SeThB, constantly proving your incompetence and ignorance with all the bullshit u type. You’ve been trained well.

I enjoy how much I irritate you.

Stephen Keller /

^I have always believed that you type the crap you do more for the above reason than any actual belief in it. I will never understand how/why people get off on irritating others....it's juvenile and sad. Glad you are enjoying yourself though. (edited)

I don’t do it TO irritate him, I’m just glad it does.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Y’all focus on coal. It’s a small portion of energy production, and

> although I endorse its use as viable, I condone other methods much more

> prolifically. Nuclear energy is great. So is Hydro. Both are much more

> efficient and environmentally friendly than wind or solar, and produce

> much greater volumes of energy. Wind and solar are not sustainable in

> their current trajectory, unless heavily subsidized. They will likely

> never be profitable, or environmentally justifiable.

>

> But keep focusing on coal, since I mentioned it, like a typical libtard.

This!

This was almost a reasonable response!

I am totally willing to have those discussions, I think there's a lot of merit to scrutiny of wind and solar, and definitely to hydro and nuclear also.

The things that have very little merit however are memes that imply using "hundred of gallons of jet fuel to de-ice wind turbines" somehow invalidates that wind is still a cleaner energy than many alternatives.

And regarding the waste, I think a more fruitful discussion would be to identify a problem and discuss solutions/approaches.

OK so problem? Theres limitied lifetime to wind baldes made of bonded fiberglass and the blades themselves cannot be recycled easily and are landfilled. How to approach this?

OK let's quantify the energy used in their disposal, lets look at the cost and land use in that disposal, is there opportunity to reclaim that land or is it permanently toxic? Balance that versus the cost (both $ and energy) to recycle - which right now isnt scaled but we could spend say $1b to develop a process to recycle, when does that break even? Or is that break even soooo far off in the future that we'll never reach it and we'd be better scrapping wind energy in general and meeting power demands using natural gas with CCS? Or Nuclear?

And then we consider the balance of disposing 100 tons of wind blades or 10 lbs of nuclear waste, or 10,000 cubic meters of CO2, none are particularly easy but there's a quantifiable answer and we find the best solution by thinking about those numbers and effects and inputs, and not just "derpy-doo helicopter flys by wind tubine so clearly it doesnt work"

Lets look @ hydro, given equal scrutiny, you need massive fucktons of concrete, which the manufacture of results in equal tons of CO2 emissions by weight. One kinda wild one is it results in big flood areas, and all the vegetation flooded is decomposed, most of it to methane, which is >30x greenhouse effect vs CO2. So if we compare the cost of materials, construction, maintenance and land use between hydro and wind, theyre actually very similar. Wind just gets the benefit of being quicker installs and more available locations.

The nice thing is there's an enormous amount of money and benefit to understanding exactly which technology is the best for which locations and making those cost/benefit analyses, and most of the work's already been done for you, and in a way with meaningful actual numbers taken from real power plants instead of pure propaganda memes aimed to dismiss critical thinking with some misinformed "gotcha"

For example, here's a very well supported and researched reference with quantified data which you can review and pull numbers from, and if you find that the analysis for wind lacks sufficient accounting for hundreds of gallons of jet fuel, it's a simple back of the envelope calculation to say "if 20 helicopters fly combined 20hrs each year to maintain 1000 turbines, and use 50 gal fuel/hr, we add that to the LCA numbers for wind and see what impact that has." (edited)

Also also, if you look at where in the world the most easily obtainable wind and solar lies, the US is in GREAT position to take advantage of big plains etc - if we thought of access to easy renewable power as a natural resource, which quite effectively it is, it seems pretty foolish not to take advantage of that. You want to encourage manufacturing in the US? lets get more cheap power, because in the end stuff gets made where it can make the most money, and if it's commodities manufacturing, we arent going to win on low wages but we can make up for it in many cases with energy and transport costs.

2nd, green energy is absolutely the future, do we build that manufacturing and expertise here? or do we hold off until we're the last ones clinging to yesterday, and wind up buying all the equipment from overseas.

3rd, lets support the startups and venture and growth in these new technologies, the US leads the world economy right now, largely because of the impact of american designed technology that led the world in computing and communications etc. Lets repeat those successes on the next major breakthroughs - building the industry and leading in the innovations that drive the next generation of power generation, because if we dont we will be left behind.

All of this of course has little to do with electric cars, except that the opposition seems to come from the same wild insinuation that everything new and green is bad and justifying that fallacy with misinformed propagandist memes.

I'd urge you to take a step back and think about why you really oppose electric cars or wind power, and challenge those reasons. I don't get the impression you really care about the impact of landfills in general, so why care about it as it applies to wind? Or being honest is it at least partly motivated by the desire to feel smarter by not buying into something everyone else does, the self-assurance of being right when everyone is blindly wrong, and if so take the time, not even much, to really dig into the assumptions, motivations, quantifiable justifications or whatever is supporting your conclusions.

punkrock randy /

> Seth B Wrote:

> I don’t do it TO irritate him, I’m just glad it does.

I really don’t give a shit. You’re the one who has to try and live your life with a brain that functions at maybe half that of your average man. I do hope you never reproduced though.

I just love your insecure replies to every.single.comment. I make. Very telling. Keep it up, sport.

> Seth B Wrote:

> I just love your insecure replies to every.single.comment. I make. Very

> telling. Keep it up, sport.

meanwhile i write a book to nobody haha.

I think about these things alot tho, this winds up being a convenient way to organize those thoughts

^

I write books on here too. I have accepted that I must have a need to express my thoughts in long, detailed, passages.

And they seem to be ignored. Either for the cumbersome nature of reading a bunch of words. Or because they are instantly buried in 10 replies of juvenile arguing.

I read everything you write WillD. When I am scrolling through the banter and see your name, I slow down and pick up some knowledge.

I would read your books Will. I think you should take a summer off and write one.

yea i read yours also, it's very appreciated

I rarely write lengthy replies because I find few here that challenge my intellect enough to justify spending the time typing them out. There are a few exceptions, Will being one of them; however, lately I’ve been preoccupied with far more pressing issues, and have not seen the value in pursuing nonsensical interweb arguments. Life is short, folks. Focus on what matters. We all have to bury somebody someday.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account