I'm not condoning theft or damage to private property

But seriously,

FUCK. THIS. DUDE.

I've got bail money for anyone that burns down their local Whole Foods.

signal-2021-01-04-190251.jpg

Re: I'm not condoning theft or damage to private property

punkrock randy /

Wow, what a total jackass! The best solution is eat good and health care isn’t necessary?! Fuck whole foods.

Out of its original context, at face value, I have to say I somewhat agree?

Like: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I don’t think that a healthy lifestyle will do away with the need for healthcare. But it would certainly reduce the burden on the system if everyone was living the healthiest life they can.

I would assume his comments are just pandering to their already hyper-vigilant crunchy food customers.

I know when I post this, you’re gonna hit me with a back story that makes me feel stupid for not googling first. But, what the hey, that is my reflex comment to this.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Like: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Its like anything else, someone had an interview with the man then cherry picked his comments and presented it like he was trying to get rid of everyone's healthcare.

I didn’t see the interview.

Last time I didn’t read a full interview posted on here and, wow, was my take away wrong.

Maybe the anger here is based on dude’s attitude. Maybe he was a super condescending ass.

Maybe if “Whole Foods” were more affordable to everyone, more people would be able to eat healthy.

Maybe if wages and benefits were better, people could work 8 hours a day and have time for exercise and healthy leisure activity.

I am not supporting this guy or any of the people that come from his “side” whatever that may be.

Alls I’m sayin is, there is a valid point. Eating healthy and living healthy would make for a lot less medical intervention.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Alls I’m sayin is, there is a valid point. Eating healthy and living

> healthy would make for a lot less medical intervention.

While this statement isn't false on it's own, eating healthy and exercising only gets you so far. My dad is an Anesthesiologist Assistant in Denver and I've been talking to him about the patients he's seen since Covid started. People in Denver are generally very fit and eat healthy. He was telling me about this 55 year old guy from Idaho who got flown in by helicopter after having a stroke in southern Colorado while visiting family (during the pandemic). Dude looked like he was in his early 40s, was a runner and weightlifter, just in fantastic shape. They get him in and lo and behold he's got blood clots just all over his body from Covid (likely causing his stroke) and less than 24 hours after his initial stroke he's dead.

You can be as healthy as you want, but external factors (especially genetics) leave a lot of people who take care of themselves needing medical treatment/procedures.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Let me preface this by saying I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan.

You can get a cheeseburger, french fries, drink, and nuggets from Wendy's for ~$4. Super processed and cheap, unhealthy food. But it is just about impossible to replicate that for the price.

When you have a foodstamp or poverty line income, this is a most cost effective option, especially when you have a family. It's not about just choosing to "eat healthy and exercise more", just like it's not a choice just to "work more or get a better job" to increase your capitol.

Telling people without health care to just be healthier is the equivalent of telling poor people just to be richer, neither addresses the underlying fact that those who are in charge of the health industry, DONT want you to be healthy, just like those in charge of the economy DONT want you to have money.

^ Right here... I also agree that parts of the statement were cherry picked as mentioned further up, BUT it is simply not feasible financially for many to eat as healthy as they should, that statement is from someone who has the money/time to do so as well as being self serving to his company. Flat out entitled/rude and out of touch with the reality of many, many people.

I am not arguing. Just a little devil’s advocate.

I went on a kick one point in my life. When I had three little kids and was poor. I was working and barely making enough to get by.

Food budget was always the largest single monthly cost for my family.

I wanted to cut that cost down to nothing and pay off some high interest debts. Figured I could sacrifice and eat cheap.

So, the menu was rice and beans. You can feed a family of five for a month with the $ from one meal out at Wendy’s. I had a small garden to supplement extra veggies into the rice. Sauteed onions and peppers with a little rice wine vinegar.

It would have worked. My wife was not on board from the start and the kids are picky eaters. So, I ate a lot of rice and beans. Learned some recipe tricks to make it more fun.

And that was extreme. You can buy tons of food items for cheap. Potatoes, frozen veggies and chicken thighs. I could feed a large group a good meal for little cash.

Much of the problem is the crappy processed food is cheap AND easy. People are not inclined to prepare food anymore. Cooking is like another hobby for me. Most folks don’t like the effort or mess.

If Wendy’s and McDonalds had healthy options that were the same price but also inspired flavors that people want to eat, that could go somewhere.

They just throw something wet and crunchy on the menu. Salads that look good but usually taste meh. All the ingredients are the same sterilized, processed junk.

I like the burrito scene. A burrito (full of rice and beans) can have so much awesomeness packed into it. Healthy, tasty, filling, inexpensive.

MA knows the value of burritos.

Mmmmm Burrito! I agree about people not liking to cook, I'm one of them, the work of it is not so bad, (but not enjoyable to me) but the time (my own fault) bugs me, and the mess REALLY turns me off, doing dishes is just awful...(again, to me) so the convenience is also a huge issue I will give you that.

punkrock randy /

I eat healthy, zero argument about it’s benefits. But eating good definitely only goes so far. As far as I can tell he’s a CEO that first and foremost cares about profits, not the well being of those who help make his dream a reality. He just doesn’t believe he should give a shit about their healthcare needs. Too expensive. Bottom line.

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> But seriously,

>

> FUCK. THIS. DUDE.

>

> I've got bail money for anyone that burns down their local Whole Foods.

> >

Sooooo you're going to do the bail?? I guess you'd also be interested in the time also???? Arson is frownd on pretty hard..but then you'd being doing your own time for hiring it done (edited)

Yeah fuck WF but it's owned by Amazon now?

My wife worked for them for like 2 weeks, they were heavy on all the highroad healthy life bullshit, I dunno what they are like now but fuck that dump.

Yeah you gonna die

punkrock randy /

Fuck yea gg allin🤘🏼

Yes, if someone were to do something like this and it made the news and there was a GoFundMe then yes, I probably would help "do the bail".

If nobody was hurt and it helped feed poor and starving children, then yes.

Corporations have insurance, a childs developing brain does not.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I don't correlate how burning down a building filled with foods end in children getting fed.

I also have to pick apart the idea that people could live off rice and beans for five months if they really needed to. Do you know what happens to people who eat that exact diet for that amount of time? They suffer from severe nutrition deficits and numerous GI impactions/etc.

Disregarding the health impact, what about quality of life? Do you expect a family to eat NOTHING but this for every meal, every day for even a week straight? What are the mental repercussions from this? Even our federal prisoners get fed better than that, and I assure you they are not going out of their way to be eccentric or ostentatious with those options. They are fed as cheaply and economically as possible.

Even if you can get past the physical and mental health reasoning for this, we come back to the same point: why is this necessary? It's not because these people are saving money to put down on their new Tesla. If healthy options were as readily available and economically effective as the cheap/unhealthy options (rice and beans is an unhealthy diet, even tho it is "simple" and free of some of the hazards of junk/fast food"), yes healthcare could be dismissed as marginally less-necessary. But people eat poorly because they don't have another option. People get sick because they eat poorly and over-work themselves and underpaying jobs and cannot afford to eat better. It's all related.

The last time I went to a doctor, I found out I had melanoma. I am fair-skinned, rarely am in the sun without covering, and when I do I heartily use sunscreen. Hearing "eat healthier" to avoid healthcare costs, is like the people telling "go out in the sun less" and I will avoid cancer. It's not that simple, and they know it.

But either way, you have a CEO pushing his product instead of actually advocating for a reasonable response to healthcare costs.

I can’t be sure right now if that was pointed at my post?

I said stuff about rice and beans as an example. There are some healthy, inexpensive food options. Under no circumstances should a person eat nothing but rice and beans. But, it might be healthier than fast food.

I am completely in agreement that average to low income families have little practical options for healthy diets. I am living in that world.

I also just recently escaped the lack of proper healthcare. I was paying 25% of my GROSS annual income in healthcare costs (insurance premiums and copay). Joining the military took care of that for me. That option is very rare for people my age with a family.

My only agreement was that most people do have access to healthier food options and can affordably eat that. That would reduce the statistics on many avoidable problems. The whole foods guy may be a jerk, but I tend to agree that there is a huge burden on the healthcare system by people that choose the worst options.

What group does that put me in?

I think I am being rational and logical about my thinking. I was poor and made choices to buy healthy food that I could afford. It meant cooking more and cleaning my dishes. I had to plant seeds and tend a garden. I would give the same advice to others in the same situation.

I also think that most people, once they experience that, will find the reward of harvesting and cooking their own food so rewarding that they will prefer that over an “extra value” meal.

Overpriced Parts /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I can’t be sure right now if that was pointed at my post?

>

> I said stuff about rice and beans as an example. There are some healthy,

> inexpensive food options. Under no circumstances should a person eat

> nothing but rice and beans. But, it might be healthier than fast food.

>

> I am completely in agreement that average to low income families have

> little practical options for healthy diets. I am living in that world.

>

> I also just recently escaped the lack of proper healthcare. I was paying

> 25% of my GROSS annual income in healthcare costs (insurance premiums

> and copay). Joining the military took care of that for me. That option

> is very rare for people my age with a family.

>

> My only agreement was that most people do have access to healthier food

> options and can affordably eat that. That would reduce the statistics on

> many avoidable problems. The whole foods guy may be a jerk, but I tend

> to agree that there is a huge burden on the healthcare system by people

> that choose the worst options.

>

> What group does that put me in?

>

> I think I am being rational and logical about my thinking. I was poor

> and made choices to buy healthy food that I could afford. It meant

> cooking more and cleaning my dishes. I had to plant seeds and tend a

> garden. I would give the same advice to others in the same situation.

>

> I also think that most people, once they experience that, will find the

> reward of harvesting and cooking their own food so rewarding that they

> will prefer that over an “extra value” meal.

I agree, so many people nowadays want to make the government take care of them for the poor life choices all they do is complain about they can’t do This They can’t do that,

They can only eat fast food blah blah blah! that’s Lazy ass bull crap!

One only needs a heat source, one pan, a pot, a toaster, A few spices some paper plates and a sharp knife and you could basically cook anything you want With minimal dish washing,

Hell when I was a kid after my Morning paper route I would look under rocks for red worms, crickets whatever, as soon as I have a half a dozen of something I would take my zebco 77 then 202 fishing rod on my banana cheater slick seat bike down to the lake and catch Perch, rock bass, sunfish, pull

I’d pull a few immature carrots, leaf lettuce maybe a green tomato or something of a small homemade garden made from school sold seeds and have a cast iron pan fried seafood lunch that filled me up instead of eating a lunch of a thin slice of bologna on Stale white bread and stale potato chips.

I still find it Hard to believe that half of the country's people are lazy SOB‘s and need the government to hold their hand entire way through life!

This failing country is going to fail Completely if these lazy ass people don’t Suck it up, man up and take responsibility for themselves,

I feel bad for my children and my grandchildren Who aren't lazy SOB’s Like half this country, They are going to suffer when the payers in the system Can’t keep up with the loser takers!

punkrock randy /

Just buy paper plates to throw away and waste when you’re poor and don’t have money? THEY’RE POOR!!!! Don’t be a dummy roffff, all answers aren’t as easy as they seem.

Roff doesn't understand that poor people usually have several jobs and don't have time to go fishing for food.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Roff doesn't understand that poor people usually have several jobs and

> don't have time to go fishing for food.

I don’t wanna hear it, my Point was If I was resourceful as a dumb kid Why can’t anybody be one now! All everyone does now is blame someone else for their poor life choices,

Be delinquent, Lazy, Drop out of school, be a stoner, alcoholic, drug addict, obese, have a bunch of kids with different fathers and mothers, get a criminal record, gang member, stay on government assistance and housing longer than needed or make a career out of it,

I’m sure I missed more poor life choices like phone in face all day that’s vegetating people but they’re’s enough to make the point

If you’re born halfway healthy your life is the choice you make it, blaming somebody else like so many do nowadays is not right

I have yet to meet somebody who finished their education even just high school grad and didn’t do any of the things above mentioned that was poor and had to eat fast food, they/we ate fast food because we wanted to,

I came from a poor city neighborhood, had friends and classmates of all different ethnics came that from ever poorer areas and housing projects, we all worked several jobs and we all turned out OK, if they had grants and programs for free college and schooling back then like they do now we would’ve did even better with less jobs/hrs

There are poor people that need help like people with health problems, missing a spouse/family member due to injury or death Or due to circumstances beyond their control, those are the ones who should get it, all other loopholes should be forever closed

Once again roff buys the idea that it's the victims fault for being the victim.

it's the "ladies wouldn't get raped if they didn't dress sexy" kinda of thinking, and while that may even be true... we all should realize it's the rapists that's the problem.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> I don’t wanna hear it, my Point was If I was resourceful as a dumb kid

> Why can’t anybody be one now!

Because you were (I use past-tense to refer to the past, when things were very different than they are now) a young, white male in the ethnically homogenous midwest. If you don't see why that gives you a boost, you're an idiot.

> I have yet to meet somebody who finished their education even just high

> h school grad and didn’t do any of the things above mentioned that was

> poor and had to eat fast food, they/we ate fast food because we wanted

> to,

I'm surprised you graduated anything with a run-on sentence like this.

> if they had grants and programs for free college and schooling

> back then like they do now we would’ve did even better with less jobs/hrs

OMG, you're so right. Back in the 70's grants scholarships didn't exist at all and now kids get school for free. That's totally why 42% of americans have incurred debt in order to fund higher education.

I think I see Roffs point and feel like you guys are trying harder to miss it than you know.

Yes, things are different.

I have seen poor, white, homogenous, mid-west folk sell their food stamps for 50¢ on the dollar to have cash to order pizza and buy weed.

I have seen the same group take their entire obese family out to KFC on the first of the month and peel $60 of crisp new welfare check bills out of a stack of cash, for one meal.

One year my gross income was around $20K and I had a kid and mortgage. I was barely getting by. But I didn’t want a handout. My pride fought against it. Eventually, I caved in and went to the County for help. I told them all I needed was like $200 a month to help with food.

They thought that was cute. I was not allowed to ask for just the min I needed. It is all or nothing. I was given over $400 a month in food stamps. My house was inspected for insulation quality and I was going to be given a new freezer, windows, air conditioner, etc. Fire wood voucher since I heated with wood.

We lived like kings for 6 months and I got a better job.

Never had the upgrades to the house. I actually knew the contractor that was going to do the work. I told him I didn’t want to take the stuff because I got a better job and other people needed the help more. He said I should take it. That most of the people he does the work for are scamming the system. They sell the stuff or they have perfectly good homes and income but lie to get free work done.

My mom was a social worker for Montgomery County (downtown Dayton, Ohio). She told so many stories of nothing but abuse. She wanted to help and gave plenty of assistance to people in need. She also saw that the vast majority on “assistance” were abusing a system they felt entitled to. A system with almost no defense against such abuse. The benefits being dealt out freely by employees too lazy to investigate if the requests are fraudulent or not.

I have a very clear, accurate, real world perspective on this topic. I am not giving opinion, I am stating facts.

Nobody in America can say they don’t have access to healthy food options. It may take more effort than cashing a welfare check and buying fast food, but it is absolutely available.

As I always seem to be saying, we don’t have an over/under involved government. We don’t have a funding problem. It isn’t racial or cultural. It is just an education and people problem.

Follow the other arguments to a logical end. What do some people expect to happen? Seriously? Like, Does the US Gov and tax money have to force regulation and funding to FORCE KFC to make organic veggie, roasted free-range antibiotic-free chicken, quinoa bowls. And outlaw the production and sale of fried chicken? Because it is a weapon used by Industry to oppress the lower class?

WTF.

I know there are probably some horror stories out there. A single mom, husband/father deadbeated to Florida, working 3 jobs with barely a min to take a shit and sleep 4 hours a day. When is she supposed to go grocery shopping, transport kids, cook elaborate healthy meals...

Yep, that sucks and is a tough case. However that is the exception, not the rule. Ken has a point, too many people spend 5 hours a day staring at a phone and then make exuses for why they can’t walk a couple miles or make themself a sandwich.

I say the solution is teaching home economics in school again. Like mandatory 4 years of high school. Kids need to know how to budget, pay bills, cook food, do taxes, shit like that. THAT’S where society can work together to help out.

YOU! Whoever reads all this. You can start a group to mentor and teach life skills. Think something like Scouts. I volunteered with Building Bridges. Downtown Dayton juvenile offenders were placed in our care to learn gardening and stuff. I was also a Contenders leader. It was like Christian themed Boy Scouts.

Stop expecting top-down solutions to work. They never will. All of us, capable and willing, need to take the reigns and lead our society to a better future.

C'mon D, I know its a stretch.

Please indulge my simplistic fantasy.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> As I always seem to be saying, we don’t have an over/under involved

> government. We don’t have a funding problem. It isn’t racial or

> cultural. It is just an education and people problem.

Lost me, man. This is ABSOLUTELY a race, sex, and culture issue.

clip.JPG

I wasn’t saying that race, culture, or sex demographics don’t populate disproportionately on a graph of public assistance. They do.

What I was saying is that ANYONE can acquire and eat healthy food. It is entirely a matter of choice.

Are you trying to say that based on race, gender, and culture some groups are incapable of making healthy food choices?

Cause THAT would be fucking racist and sexists etc.

The healthy food obtainability - which is all this thread is about - is not level accross society. But it isn’t as unfair as poor/unfit statistics portray.

The problem isn’t that some people are so disadvantaged that they can only eat junk. The problem is that they have bad habits and pass those habits to their kids.

Education and practical training on feeding themselves healthy would be the fix. Not more money to get more doritos and pepsi. Or legislation outlawing deep fried potatoes in lard, or oil.

Eventually we will get Federally mandated air-fried french fries and there will still be obese poor people living shortened lives full of extra problems.

I care deeply about all these people. I want them to live better lives. Full, long, happy, productive lives.

Instead of beating down what I’m trying to say like a piñata, please explain your view. What do you think the problem is and how should it be fixed? For any person in America that finds themself at a disadvantage. What course of action can we as a society take?

Like seriously, throw some ideas.

Cause I was poor. I had to make do. I never had to live off junk and it is the education from my school and family that gave me that. When I went for assistance, I was overwhelmed with more resources than I ever expected. What is so different about the hard times I experienced vs. someone else? The only difference I see is that I was better prepared by my childhood experiences.

Everyone should have access to that sort of stuff. Parents cooking healthy food in the home. Teaching kids recipes and grocery shopping for ingredients. If the parents aren’t good role models, then schools can certainly teach some basics.

What ever happened to empowering individuals? Knowledge is power. Knowledge is control.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account